PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from abroad

rednova
16-02-05, 10:04 PM
Has anybody ever done this or knows someone who has, im tempted to buy a car from holland but what are the catches etc. etc. tax registering, can I just buy one drive it home and re register it?

phil

raza
16-02-05, 10:06 PM
yea can be done my bro in law bough a golf GTI from germany when he was working there brought it home had to get it registered with CVLa and get enginsh plates put on all sorted in a week or two but car was other side drive :d was a nice car tho he got it for 300 euros and it was mint

rednova
16-02-05, 10:08 PM
cheers for that - cos their nova/corsa shells seem good nick etc.

what would I do about insurance?

phil

raza
16-02-05, 10:17 PM
u could get the details of car .. or talk to ure insurace company about it .. or unless ure over 25 get insurance so ure insured to drive any car

Nick
16-02-05, 10:17 PM
go over, buy it and get it registered in your name, insure it, and drive it home.

and then worry about the plates e.t.c when it comes back

remember they are left hand drive, which is a bastard (i should know)

or contact an import company, or ask a speciliast, there will no doubt be companies who'l sort it all out for you, but they'l charge commision

raza
16-02-05, 10:19 PM
i dont think it is too bad on the left hand side .. just weird when ure driving on english roads as ure always neat the curb :|

Nick
16-02-05, 10:48 PM
and seeing as visibility splays at junctions are all designed for right hand drive cars, trust me it's an arse.

Also, overtaking, collecting tickets from car park machines e.t.c is a bummer.

although, you can live with it, it's just very annoying to me.

Riggy
16-02-05, 10:50 PM
lol convert it to right hand drive

its not to hard as the shell where all the same just knock the blanking plates out of the right side and cover the ones on the left up :lol:

NovaGSi1600
17-02-05, 07:22 AM
If you want a good clean Nova/Corsa A shell, in right hand drive, come to the Republic of Ireland.

Cheers,
Mick

Jack
17-02-05, 09:38 AM
or unless ure over 25 get insurance so ure insured to drive any car
Twitchy subject with insurance companies. Most tack a huge premium on for imports, and those that don't (or only charge extra for non-EU imports) will pick it out by being LHD.

Best speak to your insurance company BEFORE going any further.

As an aside, Admiral have told me the only reason they ask you to call them about insurance on an import (as written on their online quote system) is so they can explain they may not be able to provide a courtesy car.

epo
17-02-05, 06:10 PM
just buy mine :lol:

joff-turbo-nova
17-02-05, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I was in Portugal a few years ago and saw a Y reg (1983) equivalent - it was a bit battered with a few parking dinks but not a spot of rust on the arches or in the engine bay (the bonnet was up).

If I was after a new shell I would buy a nova from spain/portugal on a 1991 or 1992 manufacturers date - get a cheap one way plane ticket and drive the nova back and convert to RHD - one mint shell with no rust !

Joff

Ricks
17-02-05, 07:38 PM
aye rpob cause it doesnt snow much ova there we get alot of grit on the roads epesially living next to the sea.

hendrix
18-02-05, 12:33 PM
Id love a left hooker GSi equivalent, they have some nice ones on german ebay :lol:
On the continent like Spain etc the generally dont have such bad weather. But the drivers dont look after their cars - usually have loads of dents and dings here and there, seem to be crap drivers.

Stuart
18-02-05, 12:58 PM
all the novas i saw in germany were in mint condition despite the germans using more salt on one road than we do in the whole uk!

i dont think the left - right hand drive conversion is as simpleas just "knockig" blanking plates out etc. i think the front bulkhead is different.