PDA

View Full Version : Removing the ignition barrel

dan-hipgrave
15-02-05, 06:43 PM
Need to know how to remove the ignition barrel on my car urgently, as its sold to Baxter, so i need to get it off and posted to him..

Ive followed the Haynes manual, and put the key in and turned it to position II, then inserted a piece of wire into the small hole and it popped out, and then the Haynes manual says it can be pulled out complete with key, but mine comes out halfway then jams solid??

Any help much appreciated as ive been trying to get it out since the weekend without success..

General Baxter
15-02-05, 07:35 PM
bah fudge monkeys :lol:

take your time :wink:

burgo
15-02-05, 07:36 PM
bah fudge monkeys :lol:

take your time :wink:

dont listen to him get yaself an air hammer lol that'll shift it

chapers
15-02-05, 10:05 PM
nooooo slow down!!!!

this happend with mine and i ended up having to replace the housing because we ripped mine out!

make sure your wheels are straight because the steering lock will be in a position that will make it difficult to pull out (i think)

if that doesnt work im confused because mine gave me a right hard time!

chaps

dan-hipgrave
15-02-05, 10:18 PM
Baxter - i will try and get it to you for Saturday mate :D

Chapers - cheers for the advice mate, though i think the wheels are straight, but will check tommorrow after work and let you know how it goes..

Dan

burgo
16-02-05, 12:12 AM
the steering lock doesnt affect it, thats the hole point of having the key in it

Aragorn
16-02-05, 09:15 AM
try rotating the barrel as u try to remove it

and the steering lock will affect it as the ignition barrel acutates the steering lock plunger so try moving the steering wheel around too

burgo
16-02-05, 06:32 PM
and the steering lock will affect it as the ignition barrel acutates the steering lock plunger so try moving the steering wheel around too

i know but when you put the key in the steering lock pin thingy is out of the way

dan-hipgrave
18-02-05, 01:25 PM
Still trying to get the damn thing out - steering wheel/wheels are perfectly straight, and the steering lock is not on..

Bloody thing just comes out halfway then jams solid - have tried levering it out and taking the plug off the back and pushing from there but still nothing????

Short of taking an angle grinder to the column and grinding the fucker out i dont know what to do...

General Baxter
18-02-05, 01:30 PM
if its pissing you off that much, ill take the whole column,

p.s did you get my PM?

ohno, how did i get my barrel out if i have no key? :?

dunova
18-02-05, 03:24 PM
Isn't there a shear bolt holding the ignition barrel on? I thought i saw one there when i put a new steering column in :?:

dan-hipgrave
18-02-05, 03:45 PM
Yeh i got your PM mate, i will get the dizzy off at the weekend and post the whole lot together as soon as i have the bloody ignition barrel off, just send the tenner the same way as before :+:

chapers
18-02-05, 05:44 PM
when i broke mine i got a new barrel out of another ignition housing and it came out really easily, :? i dont understand, you could rip it out but i dont reccomend it from my experience...

i'll try and find out any more suggestion on it because i want to know too

chaps

~~joycey~~
20-02-05, 06:54 AM
wots a fudge monkey? :o

General Baxter
20-02-05, 01:26 PM
a small chocolate monkey covered in fudge

Adam
20-02-05, 02:39 PM
a small chocolate monkey covered in fudge
:roll:

:lol:

intergraleevo
20-02-05, 06:02 PM
there is a shear bolt on the left side of upper steering column mount. god knows why, and god knows how to get it off (im trying the ame thing now) - any ideas? apart from drill it out that is, and my ignition barrel is coming off soon, housing as well - let me know how u get on, looks like a pain in the RS too! - oh and i lost the key to the barrel.... great.

today i have been getting very annoyed with a pin that is holding in the brake servo piston to the brake pedal shaft that runs along the front of the car. according to the haynes manual (which i dug out after i got stuck) - it gives the following useful advice -
remove master cylinder, being careful not to bend the brake pipes.
there is a pin holding the servo piston to the brake pedal shaft.
remove pin.

:o :x :evil: :twisted:

im assuming that these pins just get stuck after 15- 20 years - im taking a grinder to it next week, unless someone has a solution? :twisted: :D :twisted:

thanks.

help needed. desperatly.

chris