PDA

View Full Version : nova rear discs hand brake

croagy
15-02-05, 03:42 PM
help

i am putting a rear disc conversion on my nova from a cav sri and was wondering what handbrake canble to use and is there any special braket i need use cause i heard there was.

any help appriciated

david dixon
15-02-05, 05:35 PM
not sure about a bracket but i'm sure you have to use a astra cable on the short side.

k343ane
15-02-05, 07:11 PM
you need a special bracket welding on to hold the cable in place and you need to get a genuine astra gte 16valve cable it's not the quickest of jobs to do. I bought the whole kit from LMF and did it in a weekend i've still got all the paper work if your stuck

croagy
15-02-05, 07:24 PM
cheers for the help got a website or contact for lmf for the kit?

5toprjepog
15-02-05, 07:37 PM
what is that website with it on

MARTIN KELSON
16-02-05, 08:46 AM
I used the standard Nova cable that runs to the handbrake lever. The other one with the threaded section should still fit but just be to short. Get some M6 (i think) threaded rod, cut a lengh then weld it onto end to make cable longer. Jobs a good un works a treat.

Lee H
16-02-05, 12:59 PM
I used the standard Nova cable that runs to the handbrake lever. The other one with the threaded section should still fit but just be to short. Get some M6 (i think) threaded rod, cut a lengh then weld it onto end to make cable longer. Jobs a good un works a treat.

Any idea which Nova cable you used to the handbrake lever as there is a long one and a short one depending on model/year? Also which side of the cars rear disc did you run the cable from the handbrake to?

Cheers
Lee

Phil GTE
16-02-05, 11:32 PM
I did this and it works;

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=77685

Aragorn
17-02-05, 10:30 AM
there is a mild issue here in that the later novas had a slightly differetn cable setup

some of them have the cable running from the handbrake to the passenger drum via the compensator and a threaded rod from compensator to the drivers wheel (this is the later setup which is ~1991>

the others have the main cable run from handbrake to drivers side and threaded end going to passenger side (earlier setup im sure)

would pay to check which setup the cav3 cable is used for and if its for the early setup wether there is an option for the later setup
(which imo is better because the compensator sits over to the passenger side rather than right under the exhaust pipe which stops the main cable rattling off the exhaust as it crosses over)