PDA

View Full Version : Standard wheels but need better brakes before i crash it!

Oldboy
13-02-05, 12:11 PM
I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been asked a million times already.
I have a 91 reg 1.4SR with the standard alloy wheels. I want to keep the standard wheels if possible, but need some recommendations as to a cheep safe solution (dont want much do I?) Want is the best bet for better braking?
Thanks in advance

tom_beverley
13-02-05, 12:17 PM
A nova Gsi braking system will go straight on and will give you better braking.

Even better would be to put cavalier/astra gsi brakes on, as these are bigger and stop you even faster. But I think you need 14" wheels minimum for these.

Other than that maybe some aftermarket discs (grooved and/or drilled) will improve braking.

General Baxter
13-02-05, 12:28 PM
Standard wheels but need better brakes before i crash it!

sorry i just find this funny and a little stupid! :roll:

if your cars std, you std brakes would do it fine! is it you going to fast and braking late?

Gunzi
13-02-05, 12:28 PM
Nova GSi / GTE / SRi brakes & calipers will fit on your car, they are vented discs and have a larger diameter than the standard SR discs.
The Astra / Cav ATE Calipers (for 16v brakes) require any 14" wheel to fit under, with the exception of the std nova 14" 3 spokes!

Jack
13-02-05, 12:43 PM
[http=http://www.v-tuning.com/GM%2016V%20Brakes.htm]V-Tuning[/url] supply a 256mm brake disc kit if you want a new set and don't want to run the risk of getting a second hand set of (possibly knackered) discs and calipers.

As Gunzi said.... I'm sure some ppl have had trouble with the std nova alloys; didn't they make them in two slightly different sizes?

Aragorn
13-02-05, 01:11 PM
if u get the 256mm stuff from scrappy and be cheapskate by fitting the old disks n pads you'll prolly get away with it since as the pads wear down the caliper moves more inboard

fit new disks and pads and the caliper will hit the wheel on std 5x14" nova alloys

u can use corsa gsi setup (or corsa gsi disks and pads with astra calipers) as these are 256x20mm specifically so they clear the smaller/narrower corsa 14" wheels

dont bother with nova gte stuff tbh its not much better and only difference is they wont overheat as quick due to the venting

if u dont wanna do all that then at the very least fit a servo from a GTE/GSi/TD/SRi as these are bigger giving more braking assistance

Oldboy
13-02-05, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll get them sorted sooner rather than later.
The reason the brakes on it are knackered is cos' the cars sat for ages without use. I've done loads to it to get it through an MOT, but the brakes compared to my previous cars are a bit weak. It's my fault for comparing it to a Cherokee Jeep, XR4x4, Audi A4 etc etc .
Thanks again.
PS Wee willy winky.....of course i am not going too fast!

alistairolsen
14-02-05, 10:56 AM
DO the ate astra callipers clear diameter wise?? I presume they catch on the sopkes?? If I use corsa disks, and part worn pads, will they clear ok??

Looking to do a car for a mate on the cheap!!

Aragorn
14-02-05, 11:29 AM
the clear on 14" wheels but they hit the spokes as the caliper sits further outboard than std

new corsa gsi disks and pads should work fine

snapper
14-02-05, 05:00 PM
how do you reckon on 14" Compomotive MO's clearing the callipers with 5mm spacers?

Rexy
14-02-05, 07:27 PM
Looking to do a car for a mate on the cheap!!

Dude... It's your Brake's, and the only thing stopping you from hitting a wall etc.

This is one part where u shouldnt go cheap...

Austin_Nova16
14-02-05, 07:46 PM
if your cars std, you std brakes would do it fine! is it you going to fast and braking late?

I disagree. Every nova could do with a brake upgrade' at least to cav./cally/astra ATE's.

alistairolsen
14-02-05, 08:19 PM
I didnt mean cheap brakes, but we want to keep the 14s for reasons of economy, dont worry, im too young to die quite yet. Aragorn, you reckon they should clear with corsa disks?? Use astra pads as per usual? BTW are you the same aragorn off MIG??

Aragorn
14-02-05, 11:44 PM
yes and yes

the corsa disks should give u enough clearance however i'd also check the corsa and astra pads against each other

corsa may have thinner pads too

one thing i didnt point out - they MUST be the later 5" wide nova rims and not the 4.5" earlier ones

Riggy
14-02-05, 11:54 PM
As Gunzi said.... I'm sure some ppl have had trouble with the std nova alloys; didn't they make them in two slightly different sizes?

yeah they made them in ET 47.5 and ET 49

fook knows why

alistairolsen
15-02-05, 10:39 AM
Righto, Ill check the pads next time Im in the factors. Didi th corsa gsi use ate callipers the same a the astra then??

The wheels are et49 5jx14s. I have a set of et47.5, but they would need refurned and its not worth the money really.

Im Al from the mig meet the other night mate.