PDA

View Full Version : Time to scrap it i think....

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 04:33 PM
Just had the MOT done for my blue 5door, and it failed - BADLY!!

I knew it was going to fail on the rear lights becuase they are clear, and the exhaust is blowing a bit, but the bloody thing failed on 7 other things, with a load of advisories, knocking the total amount of things wrong with it upto 15!!!

It seems its rotten from the inside - inner sills, arches etc etc the list goes on..

Gonna break it for parts and scrap whatever is left - so get your names down now people!!

Dan

Rexy
11-02-05, 04:39 PM
list the spec matey...

Fester
11-02-05, 04:43 PM
Gutted, I had the same. When they go they really go.

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 04:46 PM
spec is pretty much as per my feature minus the 1.4 SR cam, and the alloys are on my new one, and the strutbrace will most prolly be put on the new one..

Things off the top of my head are -

weber 32/34 dtml carb with 1.3sr inlet manifold, K&N filter and all adaptor plates
1.4Sr exhaust system with peco bb4 backbox
Rear gmax 40mm springs
Front gmax 40mm springs (GSi shocks)
blue GTE brake callipers
clear rear lights
mk2 dashboard with gsi dials and all wiring needed to put into mk1
loads more im sure - will put up a post in parts for sale when i know whats going for sure..

Dan

Jack
11-02-05, 05:12 PM
Shame, always thought yours looked quite tidy. Can't you buy another one and transfter the good parts over?

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 05:13 PM
exactly what i have done mate - got myself a tidy red 3door that im gonna do up..

Jack
11-02-05, 05:19 PM
exactly what i have done mate - got myself a tidy red 3door that im gonna do up..
Ah yes, so you have.... and what an excellent choice of colour too :wink:

NickWalliams
11-02-05, 05:22 PM
where exactly is it rotton???

The shell looks Mint!?

Nick
11-02-05, 05:42 PM

god don't get him started on bloody mexico red ffs :lol:

Adam
11-02-05, 06:52 PM
spec is pretty much as per my feature minus the 1.4 SR cam, and the alloys are on my new one, and the strutbrace will most prolly be put on the new one..

Things off the top of my head are -

weber 32/34 dtml carb with 1.3sr inlet manifold, K&N filter and all adaptor plates
1.4Sr exhaust system with peco bb4 backbox
Rear gmax 40mm springs
Front gmax 40mm springs (GSi shocks)
blue GTE brake callipers
clear rear lights
mk2 dashboard with gsi dials and all wiring needed to put into mk1
loads more im sure - will put up a post in parts for sale when i know whats going for sure..

Dan
Why don't you just put the weber carb, suspension kit etc onto the red nova.
As already said, the 5dr looked in mint condition, if yours fails that bad i am dreading to think what my astra is gonna fail like :lol:

General Baxter
11-02-05, 07:32 PM
HT leads and front brace :lol:

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 08:34 PM
OK, it failed on:

- Excessive corrosion to o/s/f wheelarch (this i didnt know about, and after checking, its all inner arch and around the suspension turret, which is odd cos under the bay the turrets are mint)
- Both sills excessively corroded (this is around where they meet the arch)
- rear lights are too white lol
- blow from manifold
- insecure battery
- insecure fuel filler neck (due to the mounting points rotten away)
- CV boots
- Play in both bottom b/j's (balljoints???)
- Corrosion on floorpan
- Front seatbelts in very worn condition (they look fine to me - no visible wear??)

Some of the above was advisories but most was failures, and i have left out the stupid stuff - they gave advisories for aftermarket exhaust and suspension components lol

General Baxter
11-02-05, 08:37 PM
HT leads and front brace :lol:

sell the me now beatch! :lol:

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 08:40 PM
HT leads have already gone unfortunately mate, and im waiting for GT to get back to me on the strutbrace, but you are next in line after him lol

Dan

General Baxter
11-02-05, 08:43 PM
HT leads have already gone unfortunately mate, and im waiting for GT to get back to me on the strutbrace, but you are next in line after him lol

Dan

nuts to him :fist: , pokes GT in the eye :lol:
seeing as your local(ish), can you deliver it for ?40 ;) (if GT dont have it)

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 08:45 PM
Whereabouts is Atherstone then mate?

General Baxter
11-02-05, 08:49 PM
fuck monkeys

reading not redditch :oops:

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 08:50 PM
lol never mind mate, i will let you know what happens :D

Mike.
11-02-05, 09:21 PM
i'm surprised dan your car always looked great

dan-hipgrave
11-02-05, 09:44 PM
cheers mate, it surprised me too - it was pretty mint in the summer, apart from one sill..

I reckon its from using it daily during the winter, the rain/salty roads etc has just taken its toll on the car's bodywork and rust has taken hold pretty badly, mostly in places i cant see otherwise i would have gotten it sorted and sold the car on..

Oh well, got myself a nice 3door to work on now :D

General Baxter
11-02-05, 09:59 PM
oooooo

boot lock, and ignition with key, mine went snap :lol:

Nobby
11-02-05, 10:07 PM
alright dude unlucky bout ur motor luks a top car!! Ow much u want 4 the exhaust wat size is it?? and the white clusters???

General Baxter
11-02-05, 10:09 PM
bout ur luks Ow u 4 wat

speak english :wink:

Jack
12-02-05, 01:08 AM

god don't get him started on bloody mexico red ffs :lol:
Loves it! :lol:

Adam
12-02-05, 01:12 AM
cheers mate, it surprised me too - it was pretty mint in the summer, apart from one sill..

I reckon its from using it daily during the winter, the rain/salty roads etc has just taken its toll on the car's bodywork and rust has taken hold pretty badly, mostly in places i cant see otherwise i would have gotten it sorted and sold the car on..

Oh well, got myself a nice 3door to work on now :D
How bad are the sills, my astra has a hole in two in the sills :roll:
is that what yours failed on for corroded sills, holes in them or just weakness.

snapper
12-02-05, 08:51 AM
didn't know they could fail you for an insecure battery. i was told by one of the dudes at my garage that they can't fail a car on this but can give it as an advisory instead.

dan-hipgrave
12-02-05, 09:27 AM
Nope ive got a fail under general vehicle condition for insecure battery..

My sills dont have holes in them, they are just a bit crusty by the rear arches - i kicked them before it went in for the MOT just to see if they would crumble or anything but they seem pretty solid to me :?

nobbyznova + baxter - you have pm..

Dan

Adam
12-02-05, 03:43 PM
didn't know they could fail you for an insecure battery. i was told by one of the dudes at my garage that they can't fail a car on this but can give it as an advisory instead.
You can get fined for having a insecure battery, my mate got a ?30 fine for it.

Adam
12-02-05, 03:45 PM
Nope ive got a fail under general vehicle condition for insecure battery..

My sills dont have holes in them, they are just a bit crusty by the rear arches - i kicked them before it went in for the MOT just to see if they would crumble or anything but they seem pretty solid to me :?

nobbyznova + baxter - you have pm..

Dan
Just weak, mine have a few holes in them.
Oh well, might as well get the last few months use.