PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to flood an e16se????

dunova
11-02-05, 03:10 PM
As some of you may know i've been having trouble with my gearbox/clutch/starter motor, but that's all sorted know!! :D
The recon starter i got was fooked. Fitted another new one and hey presto!

HOWEVER, now it's all trying to start but it just won't :cry: I've got a spark and i've got fuel, but still nothing. When i was trying to get it to turn over i was turning my ignition on and off quite abit and i could smell a strong smell of petrol in the engine bay. Do yo think i could have flooded the engine? How would i go about fixing it if this was the case?

At the moment it's just turning over and not even spluttering or anything. What do you think? I wish it would just go :cry:

Will F
11-02-05, 03:22 PM
If you keep trying to start it, without it actually starting or firing, the fuel will flood the engine. I would doubt that is the problem though..

dunova
11-02-05, 03:40 PM
It's firing and putting fuel in-how could it not combust???? I've checked all sensors are connected. I've checked everything is connected. I've only changed the gearbox/clutch/starter, how could that have made it do this? Unless it's flooded it when i was trying to start it with the dodgy starter in there when i was turning the ignition on and off a lot.

If its flooded it how can i go about sorting it? It's not even spluttering at the moment. I thought my alarm immobiliser has kicked in due to disconnecting the battery, but i've tried turning it on and off etc and still nothing.

dunova
11-02-05, 04:59 PM
Okay i've got it kind of started by holding the throttle wide open, but then it just dies. Just checked my oil dipstick and its showing 3-4 times the maximum!!! The only oil i've put in though recently is the gearbox oil and they're unrelated aren't they? I dont know what's going on!!!! :evil:

rysmee
11-02-05, 07:10 PM
remove your spark plugs and dry them off.
turn the engine over a few times by hand from the crank pully to make sure all the fuel has gone. then refit and try again. as you say you've got the spark and fuel so unless your timings out it should start!

If you had been cranking the engine and then checked the dip stick it will show over as you need to leave for a few mins for the oil to settle.

dunova
11-02-05, 07:20 PM
Okay, i've been playing with the car some more and i've also posted on Migweb. Here's the thread if you're interested;

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1884005&posted=1#post1884005

Basically, my oil level at the dipstick is way up and i don't know why. The car has started a couple of times (very roughly) and is kicking out a load of smoke. I'm guessing this is because the oil level is so high? Maybe the level will have dropped by the morning, but if it's still very high i'll do an oil and filter change.

I did crank the engine by hand a couple of times to check the clucth/flywheel were free to move so this may have made the level rise?

rysmee
11-02-05, 07:30 PM
no, it shouldnt have made the level rise.
as long as you have checked the oil level correctly and it is over then drain some out till its on the max mark.
i wouldnt worry bout oil and filter change unless its very old or contaminated.. gear box fluid?! lol.
you could always try push starting it.

Aragorn
11-02-05, 10:24 PM
ive flooded these engine before and they are a bit of a bastard to start if u get it flooded

try cranking with the fuel pump relay removed for 10-15secs then try normally

is the oil just over? or is it creamy etc?

might indicate headgasket failure....

NickWalliams
12-02-05, 12:19 AM
A e16se should not flood as the ecu detects no spark and shuts the fuel pump off!

I know this as I had a dodgy wire somewhere in my loom and if the loom moved the fuel pump would knock off. This was due tot he ecu not detecting a spark.

I once flooded my head with petrol and it pressure locked, this was due to an idiot mechanic mixing up a fuel line with an air line. :?

dunova
12-02-05, 11:35 AM
Okay i've made some progress, but something is still quite wrong. As i said the oil was 3-4 times the MAX on the dipstick. I've drained off approx. 3 litres of oil and it's still reading just over full. It runs now (although abit roughly) but i'm concerned that i've drained off all this oil and it's still reading just over full :?

Could it be my oil pump has packed up?

burgo
13-02-05, 08:14 PM
[quote="noveoclawsk16v"]A e16se should not flood as the ecu detects no spark and shuts the fuel pump off!
quote]hes getting a spark though!!

and as for your oil situation drain all the oil and put a new filter on then put the right amount of oil in it then you can tick that off the list

Aragorn
14-02-05, 12:09 AM
the dipstick cant really lie - if its showing max then its at max...

burgo
14-02-05, 12:16 AM
no but the dipstick using the dipstick could be mugging it up lol

if the breathers were blocked wouldnt this cause the oil to purhaps move up the dipstick hole if you see what i mean or am i talking shite lol

dunova
14-02-05, 09:49 AM
Hello the 'dipstick' has returned. When i was first looking at it i thought the head gasket had gone, because of the rise in the oil level (which i thought was due to my coolant getting into the sump), but the coolant level hasn't dropped atall. The dipstick level didn't seem to be pure oil though, as it seemed quite watery. But as i said, all the coolant is still there.

Yesterday i drained the system and started to re-fill it. The oil mark had then gone down to just above empty. I put approx 3.5 litres of oil in (which should have bought it up to inbetween min and max) and it was still showing only just off the empty mark-like it had barely moved.

I started the engine up to try and get the oil circulating but it stayed reading just above empty. Then i started it again and it was running abit rough and kicking out abit of smoke but then it settled down and seemed to be running normally. Then it got worse and cut out. Bollocks :x

I'm lost with it tbh. Could there be a blockage down there somewhere? Anyway, i've called the garage and they're picking it up today. After fitting the g/box and clutch and having a load of trouble with the starter motor and now this, i've had enough. Sod it.

Aragorn
14-02-05, 11:26 AM
if u drained the system totally u shouldve put just over 4 litres in to fill it back up

really not sure where u are going wrong - the dipstick reading is nothing to do with circulation its just a port directly into the sump