PDA

View Full Version : 20XE revs holding at 3k rpm

nathan.
09-02-05, 07:09 PM
My mates got a standard xe and after a good thrash the revs hold at about 3000rpm and then slowly drop. im thinking faulty idle control valve.
just wondered if anyone has come across this.

cheers nath

terrible___1
09-02-05, 07:41 PM
i know its not the same engine but my gsi did the same thing i changed my idle control valve and that work no more revving up.just give it a clean and if it still does it change it.

Aamir
10-02-05, 10:58 AM
Mine did exactly the same thing.

Just clean it, replacing it on a XE is a bit of a b1tch in a nova.

1. Remove pipe from below SFI box, spray half a can of carb cleaner & leave for 3 hours.

2. Start car (it will cough at splutter), spray remaining half of can whilst trying to keep the engine running (obv. 2 man job), then Switch off.

3. Spray WD40 down the pipe (10 second spray should do it),
reconnect pipe & enjoy.

mark1astramad
11-02-05, 07:42 AM
does it cut out when revs drop???
and is it a bitch 2 start???

i only ask as i had the same probs in november on my calibra,changed the idle control,air inlet sensor,

only to find my cat was fucked!!!

if it turns out to be the cat,ive got one thats fitted to the car-3mths old but only done 7 miles useage as i got it fitted ,mot'd adn failed,so drove home and never used again.

cost me 90 quid,+ p&p,its availfor 35 + p&p

NickWalliams
11-02-05, 09:54 AM
There is a thick air pipe to the right of the sfi box, start the car and squeeze it tight, the rpm should drop to tick over. If it does then your idle control valve is fcuked!