PDA

View Full Version : 1.5TD - Common Probs? What to look out for?

onephatnova
09-02-05, 09:30 AM
I'm going to have a look at a Nova 1.5T tonight? Who has had one of these babies? Does anyone know any tips / things to look out for / common problems?

I've had a few Nova's before, but I've never owned a Diesel, so i would appreciate any help...

Also if does seem ok & i do buy it, any tips/advice/suggestions on maintenance/tuning/etc...

Aragorn
09-02-05, 09:43 AM
the 1.7's seem to have an issue with the head gaskets going at 130-140k and normally that means the head is scrap as its warped beyond repairable spec

not sure if the 1.5's have the same issue but i'd be wary if its at or around 130k

other than that check all the usual nova places for rust

onephatnova
09-02-05, 10:52 AM
its got 100k miles on the clock

un1eash
09-02-05, 05:00 PM
Ive got a 1.5TD, main thing ask wen the cambelt was last done, this will need doing if it hasnt been changed recently and can be costly.
Rock the engine as the left engine mount is prone to snapping, sometimes one of the two bolts have snapped already.
Abit of black smoke is usual at start up and when revving.
It should start first time when the glow plug light goes out.
Check the brakes are sharp, the diesel takes more to stop and the master cylinders get worn.
Check round the fuel pump to see if anyones played around with the revs and fuel, there should be covers over the rev limiter and fuel bolt.
Apart from that just check the usual nova things.

Carefull in the wet around corners, wen that turbo kicks in youll know about it.

Hope this helps

DirtyDave
10-02-05, 03:04 AM
everything unleash has said is correct I have jst sold my TD and it was a brilliant car, be sure the cambelt has been dona as they are a bit of a pain in the arse to do, the engine mount thing is 100% correct i broke mine twice and it cost a small fortune to fix as the bolts go strate through the mount into the block and when these snap they snap flush with the block, this means they are a royal pain in the ass to remove and very time consuming,

if u do or u have bought it be very careful on wet bends and round-abouts as when u hit the turbo it will spin the front wheels and it won't grip for buggerey.

have fun

Dave