PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Seam weld or stich weld?

Glytch
09-02-05, 12:28 AM
Loads of mixed opinions on wether or not it is better to seam weld your engine bay or stich weld it.

Havent seen any posts on hear that demistify it.

Far as I can tell stich welding is better in the event of a crash as you still have some crumple zone.

Any other opinions, would be good to clear this once and for all.

burgo
09-02-05, 12:35 AM
beacause novas are an old car now seam welding is better

i also used to think stich welding was different until these chaps convinced me different

Stuart
09-02-05, 08:07 AM
slight confusion there lol

seam welding is where the entire seam is welded, this REMOVES the crumple areas. my engine bay has been seamed to just stiffen it up a lot etc.

the rally guys do inch for inch stitch welding, eg an inch of weld, then an inch gap and so on. this increases the stiffness while keeping weight down and allowing a crumple zone to be kept.

Also if the weld cracks on stitch welding its only got an inch to travel as opposed to the entire length of the seam you did.

Stitch is better.

Rexy
09-02-05, 04:12 PM
As above... Stitch is better, Saves weight and less likly to have any problems with the weld.

If, say you did a full seam weld and then realised it was a shit weld u have a lot of metal to hack away. It's also eaiser to perform and your only concentrating on about an inch of weld at a time.

Glytch
09-02-05, 06:18 PM
slight confusion there lol

Nah, just a late night, reckon i probably voted for seam as well lol