PDA

View Full Version : serious 1.6 gte turbo enquiry

mowgli
08-02-05, 11:01 PM
apart from a reasonably good 1.6 gte engine, I also own a vectra 1.7 td (that is being stripped)
Will enough of the vectra bits be usable in making a decent 1.6 gte turbo?
I am thinking turbo, intercooler, oil pump should fit...
I have also managed to find out that opel had a kadett 1.6 with 8.6:1 compression, so if I can get the pistons, then I'm not far off.
what needs to be done in the way of modified fuelling/ignition?

burgo
08-02-05, 11:31 PM
you dont wanna use the vectra turbo they are tiny you want yourself one of these
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQCRAhcWmTJrY!kUk9BbTzyzh8!Y9JjayLE89!iqEDGuhYiQ5 PLd8XkS!qX!89KkfdXbHrLEbsTrYPrKQtcdJagOeKX!JVKlegp wRPlCXqWCsFPkLGydRQ/Stitched_002.BMP?dc=4675509321076356949
the only other thing really you could use off the vectra is the intercooler but i would say its to small

mowgli
09-02-05, 07:07 PM
what did you get that off, a bus??????????

considering that the metro turbo & the lotus esprit turbo used the same unit, I think a smallish turbo will be ok.

I'm planning to do it more for the technical challenge than for the fastest 1/4 mile time. I want to do a car that is usable for every day use, and for the fact that I have the vectra bits in my yard already

burgo
09-02-05, 07:13 PM
na its a cummins 5.9L diesel turbo lol, its only t3 exhaust casing though.
you better off going for a fiesta rs turbo if you want a little one as they are easy to get hold of, as is the exhaust manifold to get the flange

pm me if you wanna know anything else