PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wont come off!

motobruce
08-02-05, 01:54 PM
I cant get my fucking back box off :evil: Ive un done the clamp and taken it off of the rubber hanger Soaked it in wd40 tried using a rubber hammer so i didnt damage it didnt do shit then i tried a small metal hammer then i tried levering it open a bit with a hammer and chisel and it didnt move at all. So i got the club hammer out and started smashin the shit out of it and it hasnt moved a mm . So before i attck the piece of shit with a grinder what else should i try?

Oh yer i tried taking it apart at the centre join too didnt do shit tho, And ive been swearing at it a lot and kicking the car but this didnt help either! :bad-word:

Alex
08-02-05, 02:07 PM
try twisting it left and right i.e. hold the back box and rotate it. If coated with WD40 it will come loose eventually.

motobruce
08-02-05, 02:17 PM
Im trying isnt moving tho. Im now bending all the flange up with a chisel to see if it will halp no luck so far tho :(

morrie
08-02-05, 02:44 PM
give the join a wee heat. then do wot alex said, that should work.

dan-hipgrave
08-02-05, 03:37 PM
I had this problem ages ago when i went to fit my backbox - i had bent all the flanges up, and soaked it in WD40 and everything - i ended up lying underneath the car and whacking it with a lump hammer and eventually it came loose after about half an hour solid of whacking it :lol:

Glytch
08-02-05, 03:37 PM
As Alex and Gabberhead said, heat it up with a bunsen burner and give it a wiggle. Get underneath and use the hammer to start it rotating, once its moved 1mm the rest will come.

motobruce
08-02-05, 04:02 PM
Thanx for the answers its still on tho lol. I cant find my blow torch so what im doing now is putting a big wood cramp on and trying to turn it with that as it wont moth when i just ase my hands.

Glytch
08-02-05, 04:09 PM
stick the *cramp* below the joint and set fire to it lol

motobruce
08-02-05, 07:10 PM
Clamp# lol
__

Oooops!

http://img209.exs.cx/img209/2595/oops15wg.jpg

http://img233.exs.cx/img233/5629/oops24au.jpg

I just cut it off in the end cos the fucker wouldnt shift then re fitted it and now theres a fat crack in the pipe from the manifold!! :oops: Any one selling one? Used 1.0.

http://img239.exs.cx/img239/9517/oops30fi.jpg

dan-hipgrave
08-02-05, 10:36 PM
:o unlucky mate

I think i still have my standard 1.2 system sat around - manifold, downpipe and centre section - got it all except a backbox IIRC

I will have a look tommorrow and if you want it you can have it for nothing mate, i was only gonna scrap it..

Snowface
08-02-05, 11:07 PM
a new middle section from motor factors will cost about ?15.

did you try cutting down it length ways with an angle grinder?

motobruce
08-02-05, 11:24 PM
Oh rite cool, Mines only a 1.0 tho will a 1.2 fit?
__

Its the manifold side of the centre pipe and cat or what ever it is so i think i will need a whole new manifold section. If it is a 3 piece exhaust i will need it but if its 4 i will be cheeper.

burgo
08-02-05, 11:33 PM
ive got a 1L centre section but the postage would probably be more than buying a new one lol

Glytch
08-02-05, 11:34 PM
sorry mate, doesnt look that bad, sure you could weld a plate around it.

motobruce
08-02-05, 11:43 PM
Yes but if it snapped like that in the 1st place then its obviousley corroded so it would probley happen again. Plus i dont really want to bodge it.

I think i still have my standard 1.2 system sat around - manifold, downpipe and centre section - got it all except a backbox IIRC

Do i have to get the manifold or does the down pipe bolt on to it?

dan-hipgrave
09-02-05, 04:55 PM
Right, just been outside and checked - i have a manifold, downpipe and centre section with the silencer in it (from a 1.2 non-cat)

I think that the downpipe should bolt onto your 1.0 manifold but i dont know for sure, someone on here will though.

Like i said before though mate - you can have the lot for free, just come and collect it :wink:

motobruce
09-02-05, 06:21 PM
Umm thanx but its too far......