PDA

View Full Version : my engine or standard 1.6 16v?

benji
08-02-05, 01:28 AM
i'm thinking of swapping to a standard 1.6 16v. the problem is it would have to stay standard for quite a while as there is no point modding it untill i can afford throttle bodies, what i wan to know is if you lot think this would be a step up or a step back?

i know that in the long run the 1.6 16v would be better but what about while it is still standard? bearing in mind that i will still be doing trackdays with it.

for those that don't know i currently have a 1400 8v running around the same power as the 16v i would be changing to.

cheers

ben

Chris
08-02-05, 01:36 AM
why not get a 1.6 16v and build it up slowly Benji then fit it all together?

Chris

srs1
08-02-05, 08:44 AM
i'd say keep what you have and build any new engine up slowly to what spec you have.
your is so well balanced as it is. you wouldn't ge time to have it all fitted and start enjoying it in time.

Aragorn
08-02-05, 10:28 AM
the larger engine will probably have more torque over a larger area than your current engine which will probably be a bit peaky in comparison

Snowface
08-02-05, 12:30 PM
what about sticking a 16v head on ur 1400 block? is that feasable?

then again may aswell go for the full 1600 to get the most out of the small blocks.

-Bruce-
08-02-05, 12:39 PM
Lot of good points above. And there are alot of pros and cons for both engines and specs.

The 1600 16v will be usefull as im sure you wont just stick a std engine in, and these engines are easly played with to give good gains.

But also the fact that the car is so fast and you can turn around and say its a 1400 its so good. :lol:

Your call realy ben.

Bruce

scott.parker
08-02-05, 03:25 PM
why not get a 1.6 16v and build it up slowly Benji then fit it all together?

Chris

DITTO,or just keep the 1.4 as its good enough mate.

scott

Matt Nova
08-02-05, 04:20 PM
i'd say put the engine in mine then get your 1.6

benji
08-02-05, 05:11 PM
the problem with keeping the 1400 is that the bar has already been raised this year and it's only febuary, i know of 3 1600 16v track car's that will be very quick, then theres dan and jim, cp, chris t, they are gonna be quick. theres also snowface and nathan1600 who i will be struggling to beat in a 1400. chris 16v is gonna have a good un soon, phils 5 door, scott p mentioned tb's on his 2.0 16v. adam moran is building one, darren already has one. the list goes on. and as quick as my 1400 could be it will never be on, or setting the pace.

i know it's fun beating a car and then telling peopleit's a 1400, but mostly it's down to the driving (not being big headed, but...) i know how to drive my car, and i push it too the limits all the time, so i will be quicker than 'faster' cars with drivers not willing to push it the same, i'm sure if we swapped car's i would still be quicker most of the time.

i have already decided that a 16v on tb's will be going in. but what i want to know is if it is worth getting rid of my 1400 for a standard one for now. i don't want to be getting the engine in and be dissapointed, because i will want to mod it. but i know i can't afford TB's yet. and as that's what i want then anything in between is a maste of time and money

raza
08-02-05, 05:22 PM
looks like u spent alot of time and money on that engine u have no so its down to u m8 what is the 1.6 come out off? cos cars are weird aint they i think the old astra 1.6 engines are faster than the new 1.6 engines .. same as the 1.4 old astras and the new 1.4s old ones are faster

benji
08-02-05, 05:26 PM
corsa gsi or sport

Matt Nova
08-02-05, 06:35 PM
i'd get your 1.6 mate build it slowly when you can afford to adding bits then when its ready swap the engines don't put standard 1.6 in you'll be dissapointed mate

krobinson
08-02-05, 07:43 PM
The 1.6 16v is quite quick in standard form, however below 4k rpm it isnt up2 much, but once past that it pulls well!

Try and get a run in a GSI/Sport corsa before u decide.

Keith

benji
08-02-05, 09:40 PM
corsa gsi's are slow and i don't know of anyone local who has a nova with that engine

dan-hipgrave
08-02-05, 10:23 PM
Just out of interest - would you be selling your 1.4 engine? If so, would you be selling it fully specced up as it is now? If so i might be interested...

nathan.
08-02-05, 10:23 PM
i would modify the engine and fit it when its all ready and modded. i don't think a standard 1.6 16v in yours would be as quick as the 1.4.

dan_mk1
08-02-05, 10:30 PM
The 1400 will be quicker in the real world mate, you'll have to rag the nuts of the 1.6 16v for it to go anywhere. The 1400 will be quicker IMO.

Youve already got the engine havnt you (the 1.6 16v)? like the others said, cant you just build it up in the garage or summin??

benji
08-02-05, 10:42 PM
i don't have a 16v engine yet, i am going to look out for one.

pm me a offer for the 1400 if it's good i might sell it, although it's probably worth more in bit's

Snowface
08-02-05, 10:52 PM
i was pretty much at the same point of indesicion a month or 2 ago.
But i decided that i had had a lot of fun out of getting the 1.3 to this stage and after 18 months of being a 1.3 its time to go onto something else.

I like the idea of a 1.6 16v especially as its still light. I'd say the ideal way to go is to build the engine up while its out of the car. that way its easier and cheaper on gaskets and time etc.

then when its pretty much how you want it then swap it over 1 weekend.

thats how i'm doing my 8v. Although a 16v will cost a LOT more than 8v, especially if TB's are on the cards.

i suppose it depends if you can afford to take your car off the road for a week every now and then to do these big mods.

I use mine for work 5 days a week so i'd rather whack it in in 1 go.

Just think it over in your head a bit more and you'll come to a decision.

Aragorn
08-02-05, 11:14 PM
u could always run the 16v on carbs....

all youd need is a megasquirt ignition kit and new inlet manifold

then they'd need rejetted and u'd have healthy power streight off

benji
09-02-05, 12:10 AM
it'd cost around ?500 to run my carbs on a 16v that's using a megasquirt.

srs1
09-02-05, 12:20 AM
i see your point now benji.
i got my xe fitted and am now enjoying it as std.
i have a full garage load of stuff to go on it but no time as i use the car all week too.
so putting the std engine in and getting used to the weight is good,
but
also building the engine up is prob better, as i now have to take car off the road for a week and get it sorted, and if i aint got the parts it's going to cost to get it right.

both are good points and i think only you can decide

benji
09-02-05, 01:04 AM
having it off the road is not a problem. i have a clio and a van to run around in.

scott.parker
09-02-05, 01:11 AM
Well mate it's a shame you carnt use the old cabs without speding so much money,as i think it would have maed a nice engine,well as it stands mate dont jump in,keep thinking about it,though i my self(also if i could do it again) would get the 1.6 16v and mod it before fitting then slap it in the car,as you will hate it if it feels underpowerd..

Scott

Aragorn
09-02-05, 10:05 AM
why so much?

rob@rsc on mig does the ignition only megasquirt kits for around ?150

new inletmanifold is about ?130

then rechoking and rejetting the carbs?

benji
09-02-05, 05:43 PM
the ecu is around ?150, plus you need to make a loom, and all the ford ignition parts i need to find to make it work. then i need to have it mapped, as i i don't know what i'm doing with that sort of stuff.

a carb manifold is around ?150, bigger jet's and chokes for my carbs would be around ?50 if i can get the bit's 2nd hand. if i need them all new then it will be more. to get the best from the carb's i would also need a decent exhaust manifold(not essential but i would want to fit one) another ?150.

plus having the carb's set up

it all mounts up.