PDA

View Full Version : ever been overtaken by your own wheel?

benji
08-02-05, 01:17 AM
i have tonight, front passenger wheel came off, luckly i wasonly doing 10mph as i could hear somthing was wrong and i was pulling over. the car landed on the (new) disc's and slid about 2 meters, first inspection show's only damage to be a fecked hub and a wheel nut, although i will have to chech the disc and suspension when it's light.

it drove home alright so that's a good sign.

i rang the rac and was told 1 1/2 hrs until i can be sorted, so i rang my mate and he came out with a jack and a socket set. a copper also stopped and check we were ok. i'm sure h spotted my bald tyre as he was helping me fit it but he said nothing, i was trying to keep him away from the wheel but i was struggling to get it line up with the dspacers so he brought his torch over. i tought i was gonna get screwed. but he said nothing.

so now in need to get a new hub asap. i've also ordered some new lifters from autovaux to cure the rattely one's that are in at the mo. hopefully it will all be sorted for the 27th

last night was the only nigt in ages that the car was left on the street and i think someone tried to nick my wheels, kel hear a noise in the night and looked out the window but noone was there.

at least we are both ok, if i was on a motorway it could of been alot worse

Fester
08-02-05, 01:20 AM
:o lucky one

benji
08-02-05, 01:22 AM
tell me about it

scott.parker
08-02-05, 02:14 AM
Gees mate that sounds a bit nasty,glad your ok thogh dude..

You dont think it might of had anything to do with them spacers??
Just a thought?

Scott

Chris
08-02-05, 02:25 AM
doesnt sound like good fun at all Benji, like you said it is a good jobs you werent going down the motorway

Chris

benji
08-02-05, 07:06 AM
i don't think it was down to the spacers as the other wheel was solid

NickWalliams
08-02-05, 08:05 AM
I lost my back passenger side wheel doin about 70mph on the bypass :o

Wasnt pretty, luckilly the only damage was to thw stub axle bearing etc as it had failed! :lol:

SKoob
08-02-05, 08:14 AM
:o I think I might consider my choice of brakes :lol:

srs1
08-02-05, 08:42 AM
sounds like you were very lucky there benji.
glad your ok and it didn't do too much damage.

NovaloadedAgain
08-02-05, 09:21 AM
Your very lucky mate, Good job you werent drivin fast, Any ideas what caused it?

raza
08-02-05, 11:01 AM
damn lucky dude

Glytch
08-02-05, 11:03 AM
I nearly had that happen to me,

Id heard wheel rattling cos the bolts wernt on tight enough for weeks but was so busy with coursework and assignments that i couldnt spare five minutes to sort it out.

When i eventually got round to it one of the bolts had rattled right out and the other three wernt far off.

Guess i was lucky (nothing new there)

Least it was only minimal damage benji and you didnt receive any urself.

Adam
08-02-05, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you had a very lucky escape there mate.

Philsutton
08-02-05, 11:14 AM
i had a similair thing happen to me, i had been getting complaints at work about the noise of my car ect... One night i came out an started to drive home an the got a few miles and the wheel started to shake, i stopped to have a look and someone had taken out one nut an loosened two others off.
The same thing happened to my mums car an my brothers car in the same week, all on the same wheel. There are some sick people about, im guessing they left one nut still in tight so that the wheel didnt come off straight away an when i was moving.

Good thing you were only going slow could have been alot worse

Mike.
08-02-05, 11:45 AM
some little cretins did that to my dads car, they had removed all but 1 wheel nut on BOTH rear wheels of his car, and we were travelling on a motor way, my grandad was following us in his car and he saw the wheels wobbling, when we got home we took the car to a garage, we got it on the ramps, took the centre caps off bothe the rear alloys and nearly all the wheel nuts fell on the floor

iff the wheels did come of it could have wiped out everyone

Snowface
08-02-05, 12:21 PM
sorry to hear bout the slight set back.

good job it did happen when you were going slow like u say.

morrie
08-02-05, 02:18 PM
That happend to my mate. he was drinking, and decided to go out and his rear wheel bearing collapsed and the wheel took off. he got banned for a year. Tit.

Matt Nova
08-02-05, 04:23 PM
could of been alot worse mate

it happened to my mate going about 30-40mph and did about ?300 of damage :o

raza
08-02-05, 05:01 PM
happened to my dad in a rover vitesse 20 litre turbo going down the motor way and back wheel come off . lucky no cars behind him cos car spun out like 7 times all over the m180

elsey197
08-02-05, 05:09 PM
Almost happened to me with mine on the back, but luckily a mate following saw what the wheel was upto and i stopped and sorted it out.

Riggy
08-02-05, 05:14 PM
:o :o that sounds really bad mate , glad everything is ok though

Glytch
08-02-05, 08:54 PM
After reading all these i feel i should be counting my chickens that I got away with it, I had heard my wheel rattling for weeks.

sh0rty
09-02-05, 09:46 PM
omg i laughed my ass off seeing the topic on this post

why you might ask.....

well about a year ago, my back wheel overtook me. i can laugh about it now but i sh*t myself. theres a post on here somewhere i think. no indication, slight funny noise so slowed up (must have been about 25mph) and there were mad sparks in my middle mirror. then my asss end dropped and my wheel went flying past me (luckily on pavement) and ended up a way away in a bush lmfao. i had the "lucky it wasnt faster" "lucky it was only you in car" "lucky this and lucky that" - im sorry but it was still damn scary!

best bit? : noone stopped to help, not the car behind me, and not the cars coming towards me who WOULD have seen this wheel and my ass end of car on the floor! a motorbike stopped 10 mins later and offered me a lift in his passenger quad thingy rofl. :!:

benji
09-02-05, 10:54 PM
bloody hell. did you find the wheel?? lol.

sh0rty
10-02-05, 10:07 PM
yeh funnily enought it rolled into ATS :P but they weren't open :/

hendrix
11-02-05, 12:27 PM
when i drove chelles car home when she had just baught it the steering wheel started shaking.....uncle epo had forgotten to tighten the nuts on one the wheels (cheers mate!!!)
When i fitted my 16's i was in a rush that i forgot to tighten on wheels nuts, steering got really bad so i stopped and it only had one nut left in the wheel and it wasnt even tight!

scott.parker
11-02-05, 12:39 PM
Oh i just rememberd,i have had a wheel on my nova come loose,it was when i first got it and it was totaly standard,i when out for a drive and could here this dull noise slight clunk now and then,so pulled up of the road,gave all the wheels a check,seemed fine so drove on (but a bit slower) and could still here it,so stoped agin,this time when i removed the senter caps on the wheels i could see there was three bolts very losse on the nearside front wheel :roll: got the jack out and rasied it up slightly there was quite a bit of play in it,so did them back up most of the way,then again under load..(same thing again on my old fiesta)

I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on things like this as there the most important thing along with tyres on a car.

Scott