PDA

View Full Version : E16SE fueling problem - help asap

NovaGSi1600
07-02-05, 08:32 AM
Hi all,

I tried to start my GSi at the weekend (it has been lying up over the winter) but it would not fire.

I cleaned the dizzy, rotor arm, cleaned all the plugs, cleaned all elctrical connections at the dizzy and module.

Tried it again and it was just the same, turnung over very strongly but not making any attempt to fire.

I checked the plugs again - bone dry, no fuel at all.

Checked that there was fuel in the lines behind the inlet manifold, and that there was fuel in the fuel rail - there was.

I put fuel into the cylinders via the plug holes and tried to start her, she fired but then died again after the fuel was burnt - at least I know I've got a spark.

When I turn on the ignition, the fuel pump stays running. Should it stop automaticly when it gets up to pressure?

Do the injectors need to have a certain fuel pressure to operate?

Is the pump not building up the pressure? or is there a return valve in the fuel system stuck open?

Or is this an ECU problem - not signalling the injectors?

Any ideas? :?:

Cheers,
Mick

Aragorn
07-02-05, 09:14 AM
could be a duff fuel pump relay (it also powers up the injectors etc) as if the fuel pump stays running there is defo summat wrong with it (its tacho triggered so should only run when the engine is rotating)

NovaGSi1600
07-02-05, 11:09 AM
Thanks mate, I'll check the relay later.

Cheers,
Mick

Glytch
08-02-05, 03:57 PM
My GSi ran dry the other week and it took ages to get fuel back to the engine.

My mate filled his with cheap petrol (had diesel mixed in) which was crap. We emptied the fuel system and turned the engine over for ages.

It had a few tries but no luck, eventually battery ran dry, hoocked it up to the jumpleads and still no luck.

So we towed it, after about 2 miles at 70mph sorry i meant 50mph :wink: the fuel eventually started coming through and its been running fine evr since.

NovaGSi1600
10-02-05, 07:24 AM
Faulty fuel pump relay - Good man Aragorn :D

Nice to get her back on the road again, have a new Ashley 4 branch and system fitted, it was the first time I have heard it since I fitted it - it sounds very good. Loud under load, and nice and suttle during regular driving.

Thanks for all the help lads.

Cheers,
Mick

jay
10-02-05, 06:38 PM
hello amte,i have the same system on mine,isit the two box or did you get a straight throguh centre section?did you notice much difference?

NovaGSi1600
11-02-05, 07:25 AM
It's got a centre box and a back box.

It's hard to tell if there was any differance in power, it's been so long since I drove the car. But as usual it felt great :D

I need to get her set up on a rolling road again. The last run she made approx 120bhp (B+, cam + pully, 57i, red ron plug), it will be interesting to see if the exhaust system makes a difference.

I was also thinking about a Blydenstein air box mod - does it really work that well? TV gave it good reports.

Cheers,
Mick

Aragorn
11-02-05, 11:23 PM
std airbox with panel filter will prolly give more power than 57i if the review in revs i read is anything to go by - every induction kit they tested in the article (about 50 of them) lost bhp or torque or both