PDA

View Full Version : removing bump strips??

Glytch
06-02-05, 08:56 PM
How the hell do u get the things off without damaging the paintwork?

I've tried a heat gun but it leaves most of the glue left behind and its a b1c7h to remove. I tried oven cleaner which works but isnt doing any good to the paintwork.

Any other suggestions?

burgo
06-02-05, 08:57 PM
you just have to use a heat gun then get the glue off with tar remover

Glytch
06-02-05, 08:58 PM
Whats tar remover? stuf in a can u can buy from halfords?

raza
06-02-05, 09:01 PM
heat the strip up with a hair dryer or somthing ...
pick it all off ...
ull be left with loads a glue
get some auto glym bug and tar remover from halfords then scrup
it will come off ... will take u time ... took me fooooooooooooking ages :|

Nick
06-02-05, 09:01 PM
get some 3G sticker remover.

From DIY shops, it's specially formulated to remove sticker glue, and it doesn absolutly no harm to your paintwork. the glue on mine literally fell off after using the sticker remover

Glytch
06-02-05, 09:03 PM
Cheers lads, removed the strips from the rear panels and it already makes one hell of a differance.

5toprjepog
07-02-05, 12:32 PM
there so easy the paint underneat will be a different colour any way as the sun hasn't been on the pait for 10 odd years just rip em off and repaint the doors and quarters

Mike
07-02-05, 12:38 PM
the unlucky sod who sprayed my car the privelage of picking/scrapping all mine off!! :lol: :lol:

the joys of other peoples hard work!! :lol: :lol:

dan-hipgrave
07-02-05, 05:13 PM
lol i was getting the strips off mine on Sunday - did half the car and then thought stuff this and went onto another job :lol:

Jack
07-02-05, 06:27 PM
Takes a fair bit of patience... if you're not inclined towards the slowly slowly method then best get someone else to do it :wink:

Glytch
07-02-05, 06:38 PM
well, spent pretty much of today working on the buggers, got blisters on both thumbs to prove. Turtle wax tar and bug remover didnt do much other remove the resude left after all the foam had been picked off.

The cars not long had a respray with coach enamel so the differance in colour is barely noticable.

Suppose it doesnt make a great deal od differance really cos its gonna need a respray when i smooth the skirts in. Just dont want it to look crap in the meantime.

epo
07-02-05, 06:48 PM
i always recomend this job is done on a warm day its miles easier

Glytch
07-02-05, 07:05 PM
i always recomend this job is done on a warm day its miles easier

Reckon if i was to go and check it out my ass would be covered in piles :oops:

boredbloke
08-02-05, 12:57 PM
Yo it's a ten minute job with the right things!!!

took me 2hours to do one ofr four doors the first time!! took me ten minutes on the last!

i assume u've got some sorta spongy rubbery crap still on there??

if you have use a rubber, thas right a rubber like the ones u used to use at school and drag this across the spongy crap this should get off the worst of it.

Then go to a decent little diy store and get rustins 100% celulose thinner

this is awesome stuff, rubb the glue stuff with this and it should come off no problem! don't leave the lid off it though, it evaporates before u know it!!!

and becarefull u don't over do it, it's powerful enough to eat into ur paint work.

hope that helps mate!

kevw
08-02-05, 01:58 PM
The black vinyl between the windows is another nasty job, I'm not looking forward to this on my new shell :roll:

Alex
08-02-05, 02:04 PM
i got the body shop to take my black vinals off the b pillar, as they were painting the doors (which also has it up the sides) and offered to do it for me. That is much harder than bump strips

Glytch
08-02-05, 04:21 PM
I didnt even realise that vinyl stuff came off,

Will try the rubber method if I get time tommorow and let you all know how it went.

Thanks for the advice fellas

Mike.
08-02-05, 04:25 PM
the vynal is a pain in the arse to remove, i've removed the vynal on one side just started on the other, just doesn't want to come off

sickrabbit
08-02-05, 06:35 PM
couldnt agree more - the vinyls stuck on proper...it took ages to pick it off ( on a warm afternoon , plus a hairdryer ) but the difference was amazing , so stick with it ( i used a walkman for company , on this boring chore )
As for the bumper strips ....cant make my mind up to lose em or not .
My motors miami blue with red piping on the front and rear grey bumpers the strips have the red piping also - plain looks cool , but...out to lunch on this one.

Glytch
08-02-05, 08:47 PM
As for the bumper strips ....cant make my mind up to lose em or not .
My motors miami blue with red piping on the front and rear grey bumpers the strips have the red piping also - plain looks cool , but...out to lunch on this one.

Removing them has made hell of a differance, looks much better without IMO

sickrabbit
09-02-05, 10:56 PM
gonna go for it this saturday...the paintworks still sound on this bus , so i,m hoping a good t-cut will merge / hide the difference in shade due to age / sun .

manicure on sunday if any nails left - lol