PDA

View Full Version : SR engine into a 1988 1.2 Merit

mike90
04-02-05, 04:53 PM
Anyone able to tell me exactly what's involved in fitting either a 1.3 or 1.4 SR motor into a 1988 1.2 Merit? Obviously I'll need the engine + gearbox + mounts but what about the diff, I've heard that you may need to change this too. I'll also want to replace the clocks with Sr one's, is that a straight forward swap?

Also, is it worth getting a 1.4 and putting a 1.3 head on it as mentioned in another thread?

Cheers

Mike

dunova
04-02-05, 05:03 PM
Afaik it's a staight swap, no other bits needed.

The differential? If you're putting in the 1.4 (or 1.3) box then it'll already be fitted. :?

The sr clocks are a sraight swap (although you'll need to wire the rev counter up-green wire behind the dash to the relevant connection on the back of the clocks).

Not sure on the head really. It has better flow than the 1.4 square port head, but i'm not sure what else is involved tbh.

Adam
04-02-05, 07:10 PM
Just swap the engine as standard, it will seem a lot quicker than your 1.2carb engine. Then if you want it a little faster you can swap the head for a 1300 one, or a SRi head especially if you are fitting t40s or summit. But i don't know what effects on compressions a different head will have, i read that you may need the head skimming to get the compression right.