PDA

View Full Version : Breaks ..

raza
04-02-05, 10:18 AM
Got stadard Nova breaks on the front of my car and i have to say they are shit :) i was going to get some big ones from a scrap yard or a 2 litre cav or a calibra or somthing do i just take of the disk and the caliper ? if thats what its called the thing with the pads in :$ im thick i dont no :( and is it just a case of taking them off and sticking them back on? or is there more work involved ..

raza
04-02-05, 10:19 AM
shit should this have been in technical ;\

NickWalliams
04-02-05, 11:10 AM
brakes :lol: :wink:

Aragorn
04-02-05, 11:24 AM
unbolt the caliper carrier from the hub (2x10mm allen key bolts) - you will need socket allen keys and a large breaker bar (dont remove the smaller 7mm allen key bolts as these are for the sliders and its best leaving them alone

undo the brake union from the rear of the caliper (10-11mm nut) recover the nut and the copper washers. the caliper will now slide off (might need to persuade it with a soft mallet or similar if the disk has a ridge)

to remove the disk u need to remove a philips screw but i would suggest only to buy calipers from scrappy and get new disks and new pads - they arent dear

Nick
04-02-05, 12:13 PM
yep exaclty what aaragorn said.

in my expirience the standard vaux discs seem to warp quite easily (under harsh breaking = heat = warping) so the ones you buy from the scrappy will likely be worm, or warped. the pads are likely to be worm as well, but they are easy to check !

disks and pads from an aftermarket company (standard ones) will cost about ?40 which isn't much at all for new brakes really

raza
04-02-05, 02:16 PM
See some really nice ones on a Calibra they have been drilled and grooved said i can have them for ?15 gonna go get them then try fit em :)