PDA

View Full Version : injection to carb, whats involved?

glenn55
02-02-05, 06:53 PM
im getting a bit fed up with the slowness of my 1.2i and am thinking of swapping the injection with a big fat carb/s, but what's involved and what's a good carb to use?

Nick
02-02-05, 06:58 PM
well... idealy you could swap and fuel tank/fuel lines to the carbed lines + tank, then use a mech fuel pump.

Alternativly, you may beable to just use a pressure regulator to step the fuel pressure down.

Carb wise, a Weber twin choke DTML would be a good cheap choice, you'd need to make a flange for the inlet, or get an inlet manifold to suit the SPi head. The Spi head may as well be swapped for the more efficient Cathedral port shaped 1.2 head. (i think they're different)

For better gains some T40's would be a good idea, but they cost a fair amount, and aren't really worth the effort on a 1.2 IMO

Snowface
02-02-05, 07:04 PM
injection to carb, whats involved?

a lot of work and not much gain.

glenn55
02-02-05, 07:22 PM
the thing is i work at a garage with an ex vauxhall technican who fitted a lot of the twins on nova sports etc at the time so tools and help wont be much of a problem, i asked him earlier whats the best i can do to my car and he said to change to a carb. But if it doesnt make a worthwhile difference then what about an sr engine without the insurance company being informed?! is there anything else i can do apart from the obvious exhaust and intake mods?

Aragorn
02-02-05, 07:30 PM
unless your gonna fit 40's then its a pointless exercise tbh

see one of my many 1.2i tuning posts for info on what to do instead

glenn55
02-02-05, 07:39 PM
what kind of gains would i expect to have with t40's? and is it a harder swap with them or is it all pretty much the same? and whats the reliability of a t40'd 1.2?!

Adam
02-02-05, 09:22 PM
Just follow aragorns guide, gte cam, exhaust etc, and that will give you better power.

Nick
02-02-05, 09:24 PM
what about an sr engine without the insurance company being informed?! ?

Erm, how about you don't bother doing that, cos that'd make you a complete shaft !

Follow aragorns guide, he's helped me recently and it was all top class advice.

Adam
02-02-05, 09:29 PM
what about an sr engine without the insurance company being informed?! ?

:roll:

Rexy
03-02-05, 02:14 PM
You can't call him a shaft for sticking in a 1400 lump, And then advise the poor lad to follow argons guide. Its still naughty and will still void the insurance if caught out.

Granted, One's internal Mods and often over looked, and the other could be caught out straight away.

Naughty Naughty :wink:

Philsutton
03-02-05, 02:41 PM
you dont need to change the fuel lines, mine is still on standard 1.2i fuel lines