PDA

View Full Version : Clattering Distributor

Nick
02-02-05, 05:49 PM
The Distributor on my 1.2 carb is making a bad clattering sound.

i believe this is caused by the Balancing weights being off,out of sync e.t.c whatever you'd like to call it.

Does this mean new Distributor time ? or can it be easily fixed !?

Any other problems that could cause this ?

I thought that maybe it's a noise coming from the cam that's amplified through the hole at the end, and it hence just sounds like it's the distributot ? any idea ?

help much appreciated, Thanks nick !

skud52
02-02-05, 05:58 PM
chances are if the distributer was nackered, then u would have running problems,

there arnt ne balancing weights, just points witch the spinning bit touches

easy enough job 2 change if it is like

Nick
02-02-05, 06:04 PM
there are running problems... it's making a bit of a racket, can hear it with the bonnet shut, promenantly

skud52
02-02-05, 06:07 PM
nah by running problems i mean miss fire

benji
02-02-05, 06:14 PM
it's probably your lifters

getlost29
02-02-05, 06:34 PM
if there are points in is distributor there are more than likly centriflugal wights which move in and out for mechanical advance and retadation on the timing, its likely the springs holdin the wieghts have gone and there moving out towards the caseing and making a noise

Nick
02-02-05, 06:38 PM
if there are points in is distributor there are more than likly centriflugal wights which move in and out for mechanical advance and retadation on the timing, its likely the springs holdin the wieghts have gone and there moving out towards the caseing and making a noise

that's what i was aiming at :-)

Nick
02-02-05, 06:40 PM
it's probably your lifters

i was thinking that, but the clattering is a kinda irregular one, that doesn't stay perfectly in time witht the revs, leading me to believe it's the distributor

as wouldn't tapping/clicking lifters be a very regulated sound ?

getlost29
02-02-05, 06:43 PM
yea, its more than likly ur wieghts, or even the cap has cracked and u can here an arc

Nick
02-02-05, 06:44 PM
cap is fine i think
Thanks !

Geth
02-02-05, 07:05 PM
Mine did exactly the same thing. I took the distributer cap off to inspect and found that there are small springs connected to the weights which I guess regulate their movement. One of them had snapped allowing it to move irratically and generally bang back and forth creating the rattling sound. Eventually the car almost died and I got it home at about 10mph.
I don't think you will get these springs without a new disributer. You can always get one from a scrappy for about ?20 but when I did that it only lasted 12 months before the same thing happened.