PDA

View Full Version : dropped

sickrabbit
31-01-05, 09:46 PM
i m thinking of lowering my motor..but as a newbie i havent a clue ..i suppose the first thing to ask is how much ?sss?
ive a mk 2 with 15inchers 195 50s r15s on it...i dont want to go so low that rubbing may occur
so in a nut shell please guys : cost? hieght ? kit ? and lastly -can i do it ??

Jack
01-02-05, 05:59 PM
so in a nut shell please guys : cost? hieght ? kit ? and lastly -can i do it ??
Depends on offset of wheels, but assuming they're around 45 you should be ok for 60mm. For that kinda height, you'll need aftermarket shocks and springs as the std springs won't be happy with 60mm springs.

You ought to be able to pick up a fixed height kit (shocks & springs) for about ?200-250; or ?300-400 for adjustables. Apparently GMax are supposed to be good if you're on a budget; midrange consider Spax and Bilstein; but top dollar will get you quality - think Avo and Koni.

Its not a hard job to do, an afternoon with Mr Haynes should suffice lol.

motobruce
02-02-05, 03:09 PM
How can you find out the off set of your wheels is it printed on them anywhere? Because looking at mine i think they will deffinatley hit the front arches unless they pull in as the suspention compresses.

:?: :?:

Marc
02-02-05, 04:40 PM
i found the best way to found out if you got a good offset for lowered is to get a few big mates, get them in the back with seats down etc then rock the car abit and see if it catch's on the archs lol seemed to work for a few mates :D

but with mine i got vauxhall standard wheel so off set will be right and they will not touch :)

Jack
02-02-05, 07:53 PM
How can you find out the off set of your wheels is it printed on them anywhere?
Mine was stamped on the inside of the rim.

Is it possible to measure it, if its not stamped on the wheel?

sickrabbit
06-02-05, 10:16 PM
looks like i,m gonna have to leave it ...bloomin cash flow !!

still it doesnt look that daft.

ade
06-02-05, 10:29 PM
some people just change the standard springs for 40mm ones - they drop the car a tad but do put extra pressure on the existing standard shocks

A set will cost you about ?80 (ifnot cheaper - check ebay out).

A set of Gmax 60mm springs n shocks will set you back about ?195 - cheaper if you shop about.

A drop of that amount on 15's (depending on offset) may mean you need to sort out your rear arches - rolling or grinding is the prefered method.

sickrabbit
06-02-05, 10:32 PM
grund em the day the 15s went on ....
time to chat to the skirt ( post orgasm of course ) :wink:

sickrabbit
09-02-05, 10:50 PM
i,ve found a set of 40mm springs on ebay for ?60 , will i get away with fitting these items to my standard shocks ? or do you think i,d be putting these originals under too much pressure and stress ?? :oops:

i,m begining to thing a kit is the easiest way foward , but alas funding is at an all time low . :evil:

gratitude for any advice. :D

Jack
10-02-05, 12:18 AM
I ran 40mm spring drop on std dampers for a while; obviously as ade said this puts increased pressure on the dampers, so they'll wear out faster and handling won't be as good as using uprated items. However it was Ok for a short term fix (i changed to Spax RSX kit after about a year or so). You also shouldn't have the slack springs problems that a 60mm drop can cause.