PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 spi engine

getlost29
31-01-05, 07:09 PM
ive not longe had my nova and when looking at the book figure ive found that the tourqe value is the same as the 1.2 carb engines, but theres a 10bhp diff, i no the cat saps some power of the 1.2 spi, but apart from putting a green cotton bolt on and an exaughst from the cat back are there any cheap and simple things that people have done to get that 10bhp power

and also what kinda of power increase have people had by putting an induction kit on and an exaughst from the cat back

and are there any other factory restictions apart for the cat and wedge

ph yea dose any one no what the small vacum pipe cumming of the on way valve on the servo pipe is for

burgo
31-01-05, 07:17 PM
inlet manifold+carb from scrappy = ?10+ 10 hp

or do you need the head aswell :?

peester
31-01-05, 07:17 PM
tbh that 10bhp doesnt really exist - as long as u got a good, well trained, oiled low mileage/whatever 1.2spi - most 1.2 carbs are really old and run down nowadays - ull pip one no probs.

getlost29
31-01-05, 07:26 PM
i didnt think about that, and dont realy want to switch to carb, just wanted to no if theres any secrets i dont no about. im doin motorsport engineering in uni, so now all the rest and no how costly things can be.

ive got a prettly good kreg shell so wanna keep it clean so i can do a nice transplant when i can afford the insruance

i always do frequent oild changes so no probs there, and theres no point in chippin or remapping the thing.

guess ill se if i get away with taking the cat of and just filter and exaughst. after all its just a 1.2

but dose any on no what the vacume pipe comming of the onway vavle on the servo pipe is. im prettly fimilar with the system after lots of test in uni on vauxhalls and fords in uni but cant see where this one pipe gose to

Adam
31-01-05, 07:33 PM
As peester said most 1200carbs have almost had it now, and gone really ineffecient etc, so its likely that they will not have the 55bhp book figure that they did when made.
Injection is a much more precise method, so doesn't really detereorate(spelling,lol)
A de-cat and exhaust system will find most gains, no point modding it any further, just save for a better engine when the insurance lets up.

Stuart
31-01-05, 07:59 PM
[quote="getlost29"im doin motorsport engineering in uni, so now all the rest and no how costly things can be.
[/quote]

at the university of disney?

and you dont know that the pipe goes from the servo for your brakes to the inlet manifold.?!?!?!

WTF are they teaching there thesedays?!

the wedge on the 1.2spi inlet is there to assist transient driveability throughout the rev range.

dont worrya bout getting mroe power etc, your at uni, savour the cheap running costs of a 1.2i :D i know i would love to have done but my 1.2 carb did 150 miles to a tank running round swansea!

getlost29
31-01-05, 08:13 PM
[quote="getlost29"im doin motorsport engineering in uni, so now all the rest and no how costly things can be.

and you dont know that the pipe goes from the servo for your brakes to the inlet manifold.?!?!?!

the wedge on the 1.2spi inlet is there to assist transient driveability throughout the rev range.

dont worrya bout getting mroe power etc, your at uni, savour the cheap running costs of a 1.2i :D i know i would love to have done but my 1.2 carb did 150 miles to a tank running round swansea![/quote]

i do no what the pipe going from the manifold to the brake servo is for, id be stupid not to, but theres a a smaller vacumme pipe coming of the one way vavle going down towards the inner wing.

oh and im actually at swansea institute of HE doin my hnd and then goin on to do the degree. soz if my questions sound a bit tad on the stupid side for what i should no, but i used to work on me vw alot so theres sum stuff on the nova i dont no about

getlost29
31-01-05, 08:13 PM

dont worrya bout getting mroe power etc, your at uni, savour the cheap running costs of a 1.2i :D i know i would love to have done but my 1.2 carb did 150 miles to a tank running round swansea![/quote]

i do no what the pipe going from the manifold to the brake servo is for, id be stupid not to, but theres a a smaller vacumme pipe coming of the one way vavle going down towards the inner wing.

oh and im actually at swansea institute of HE doin my hnd and then goin on to do the degree. soz if my questions sound a bit tad on the stupid side for what i should no, but i used to work on me vw alot so theres sum stuff on the nova i dont no about

rysmee
31-01-05, 08:16 PM
remove the cat!

some mot testers are so stupid(no offence) they would put it through without realising anyway!

i'm not sure if you can get de-cat pipes for a 1.2 but its worth loking into.

Stuart
31-01-05, 08:19 PM
i know your at the SIHE, i was there too lol

and it IS the university of disney, you will learn why soon enough ;o)

the motorsport degree is nothing really to shout about unless you REALLY put loads and loads and laods of work in to make it a course thats worth while.

sean mcarten will teach you how to plagerise, roger dowden will show you how to not set a car up etc. its all fun;)

getlost29
31-01-05, 08:33 PM
i know your at the SIHE, i was there too lol

and it IS the university of disney, you will learn why soon enough ;o)

the motorsport degree is nothing really to shout about unless you REALLY put loads and loads and laods of work in to make it a course thats worth while.

sean mcarten will teach you how to plagerise, roger dowden will show you how to not set a car up etc. its all fun;)

yea weve all worked that out already. im in my 2nd year now, and will be designing variable length throttle bodies for me project. oh yea gibbson is still sarcastic and dave will still show u how to undo a nut.

Aragorn
01-02-05, 11:33 AM
i have written a few tuning guides for the 1.2 engine and have implemented them with good results

to summarise as i cant be arsed going into mega depth:

general service new leads plugs etc
GTE cam
uprated airfilter
SRi/GSi (93) Exhaust manifold with lambda hole
GTE downpipe
GTE system (ashley do a nice 2" system for ?130)

my bros has all this done to it and its defo faster than it was - hes also stripped it out and fitted buckets etc and it has kept with a 1.4 clio and 1.4 sri nova (both had ice n shit tho) to around 70mph (i realise those claims are down to driver skill and things too but its just to let u see that it is possible)

getlost29
01-02-05, 11:42 AM
is it possible to keep the cat on witht he gte manifold and down pipe, for mot reasons

Aragorn
01-02-05, 11:48 AM
this was the stuff i discussed in the original posts

if your car is a J plate your fine and just use what i said above

if its a K you'll need to be clever:

instead of getting a GTE downpipe get a SRi downpipe and cat instead from scrappy

then get/make a decat for the SRi system and get a catback sri system for it

that way u can fit the cat for mot but can remove it all other times

or just store your standard zorst system and put it back on for mot (with certain mods to the flanges to fit the GTE downpipe)