PDA

View Full Version : GTE ignition power

BongMong
31-01-05, 01:57 PM
G-reg GTE..

few problems need sorting..

when my engine heats up, my gear linkage/selector pops off. were do i get a new 1?

when my engine gets warm it idles @2,000rpm..

all my battery power gets drained, i charge my battery and the car starts fine and quick, the next day i get up and look at the gauge, the power is only a quarter up.. im lucky to start it in the cold..
i was out the other day for a good hour, went in the shop.. came back to start the car and the battery was dead..

just bought new oil/spark plugs/leads/dizzy..
can i do the cam & fan belt my self?

rysmee
31-01-05, 06:31 PM
1. where abouts from does the gear likage pop off? there are a few ball joints that it could be....

2.so when its cold the engine idles fine? could be coolant temp sender if so
if it doesnt idle any time very well then have a fidle with the idle speed screw

3.have you thought your battery could be dead!? take it to halfords and they can wack a tester on it for you which will tell you if the batt is servicable or not. if it sais its OK then you must have a compnent on the car which is draining power overnight. for example on mine the boot light was stuck on.. so every few days of not using the car the batt would be dead, i didnt realise till i had the parcel shelf out one day and saw the light was on even with the boot shut! problem solved. you can test if the battery is being drained but you need and amps clamp really.

rysmee
31-01-05, 06:34 PM
1. where abouts from does the gear likage pop off? there are a few ball joints that it could be....

2.so when its cold the engine idles fine? could be coolant temp sender if so
if it doesnt idle any time very well then have a fidle with the idle speed screw

3.have you thought your battery could be dead!? take it to halfords and they can wack a tester on it for you which will tell you if the batt is servicable or not. if it sais its OK then you must have a compnent on the car which is draining power overnight. for example on mine the boot light was stuck on.. so every few days of not using the car the batt would be dead, i didnt realise till i had the parcel shelf out one day and saw the light was on even with the boot shut! problem solved. you can test if the battery is being drained but you need and amps clamp really.

4. nova doesnt have fan belt
you could do the cam belt yourself, just get a haynes manual and have read through. Just one thing that i choose to ignore - others may disagree but i wouldn't touch the water pump like they say to. whats the point of having an auto tensioner when you still hve to move the waterpump!?

BongMong
31-01-05, 08:03 PM
gear linkage/selector pops off in engine bay near clutch cable.
its a rod about 6" with balljoints either end, it used to come completly off.. But i put a zip tie around 1 end, there is no were to zip tie the other end...