PDA

View Full Version : * What brake discs should I get?

Barn
30-01-05, 06:39 PM
discs are on their way out now...what ones should I get?

they are Astra/Cav 2.0L brakes (ATE calipers)

:+:

david dixon
30-01-05, 06:43 PM
Just stick with 16v brakes but there a few good ones to chose from, i use green stuff discs and pads and thay stop on a 2p piece.
Iknow not everyone has the same view but this is my choice and i'm sticking to it! :D

Philsutton
30-01-05, 06:58 PM
i use green stuff pads an standard discs an they are fine, the standard stuff is normally up to the job

Snowface
30-01-05, 07:16 PM
how much is it for a set of green disc's/pads?

Philsutton
30-01-05, 07:24 PM
for just the pads i think i paid about 40, im not sure what it is for the discs as well though

rysmee
30-01-05, 07:47 PM
i use ebc drilled and grooved discs with standard vauxhall pads. which only cost ?11. i did a track day at donny - about 160 miles on track and the brakes were brilliant - no fade at all and i was out breaking cars that i really shouldnt have been!
For 11 quid you cant go wrong. dont waste money on any 'performance' pads.

Snowface
30-01-05, 09:40 PM
i use ebc drilled and grooved discs with standard vauxhall pads. which only cost ?11. i did a track day at donny - about 160 miles on track and the brakes were brilliant - no fade at all and i was out breaking cars that i really shouldnt have been!
For 11 quid you cant go wrong. dont waste money on any 'performance' pads.

discs and pads for ?11??

Aragorn
31-01-05, 01:46 AM
std motorfactors/vauxhall stuff will be perfectly fine unless your planning track days

Barn
31-01-05, 12:42 PM
to be honest I wouldnt mind a couple of track days? maybe the odd day down Llandow circuit when I get some ??? ?

with that in mind what would you recommend?

I was thinking about getting standard discs again but getting Ian (Godspeed brakes) to groove them for me?

want some that work from the word go though. I have heard that black diamond are ok? are they? and how much am I looking at for a set of 'performance discs' generally?

Stuart
31-01-05, 12:55 PM
i think the ebc discs are about ?160 for the track day golds. i have no probs heating mine up, but then they are fitted to a V heavy car lmao

there is a good motorfactors in one of the back streets between st helens road (i think thats the name of it, straight on at the kingsway, where spoofers used to be and all the way to the guildhall) and the Vetch.

they tend to stock for mild rally use ;o)

ive heard good things about multi grooved discs and STD pads, or even mintex track pads

rysmee
31-01-05, 06:14 PM
yeah i can see how that looks! i meant just pads for 11 quid!

NickWalliams
01-02-05, 02:09 PM
Most of these aftermarket pads and discs are no better than the standard stuff!

My mate works in brake engineering and he says that they just rebox standrad stuff :o

Mintex being one of the companies!

Dar
01-02-05, 02:45 PM
My advice would to get some grooved discs. Either get standard ones and get them grooved or buy some already done. Then try some standard pads in them. (Standard pads are alot cheaper than performance ones)

See how you go on that. I haven't driven around Llandow circuit (I will be this year though) so I don't know how heavy it is on the breaks.

From my own experience standard discs and pads are no good for trackdays. I have tried and they fade....then the pads disintergate.

From there I got some mintex pads (1144) they didn't fade and where great all day long. But after inspection they looked like they were also beginning to glaze. So I got some grooved discs.

So some grooved discs to stop the pads glazing and then standard pads. I havent tried this combination but I wonder if the standard pads would have faded quite as bad if they had grooved discs to take the glazing away. Also im not 100% sure on this point but I suspect that if the pads where glazed and where still being breaked on hard, they would heat up alot hence why mine fell to bits.

Barn
01-02-05, 06:44 PM
I'm already running Mintex 1144's on my car at the mo with standard discs, DOT 5.1 fluid and braided lines.

maybe I will just get some standard stuff grooved then...dont fancy paying ?160 for discs tbh!

thanks for the advice all

nutsaboutnovas
01-02-05, 07:38 PM
I DO NOT recommend EBC turbo discs.. i had them on mine for fast roadf use with green stuff pads... supposidly a good combination... I could get them to fade no problems and the discs WARPED!!!.. absolute rubbish i reckon.. stick with standard stuff unless you have lots of power and are planning lots of track days...

probably be better off with standard stuff and putting some braided brake pipes on...

Ste_Nova
01-02-05, 07:52 PM
i'm running tarox 40 groove 16v discs.. done over 200k on them :P still got loads of life left... using vaux pads

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/K368ARO/PA170003.jpg

green stuff are pants... i tryed them when i first got the white wheels and they were overheating the surface of the disc!!! fuck the dust brakes are more important

_JH_
01-02-05, 10:20 PM
as said, grooved discs and some quality pads - vaux, ferodo, mintex

joff-turbo-nova
04-02-05, 09:01 PM
If you want MEGA stopping power at reasonable cost why not try a 308mm Vectra GSI set up!! You can get these in 4 stud from LMF

Cheers

Joff

getlost29
05-02-05, 12:02 AM
black diamond disks r good, see motorsportworld.com for stuff or if u live near swansea go and see tony in zenith motor factors

Barn
06-02-05, 03:31 PM
yeah from swansea mate...what Nova you driving? may have seen you about