PDA

View Full Version : coilover = no wheel fitting

Dave
30-01-05, 05:34 PM
finally got me finger out an fitted me coilovers but went to put the front wheels back on & they hit the coil :(
therfore i need to know:
what size spacers can be brought off the shelf, and where from?
also where can i get longer wheel bolts to match the widened distance of the wheel to the hub??

cheers
dave

Philsutton
30-01-05, 05:43 PM
mine did the same, i had to fit 5mm spacers

david dixon
30-01-05, 06:13 PM
Thats strange mine dont catch! but anyway ring or visit Demon Tweeks on the net, they have spacers and longer wheel bolts!

Riggy
30-01-05, 07:44 PM
what width tyres are you running dave

mine are 195 and i didnt have any probs (avo coilovers)

Dave
30-01-05, 09:06 PM
have got 205/40 tyres on (i think 7) x17 rims
with fk coilovers

will see what tweeks say
don't think 5mm spacers will give enough clearence

SKoob
31-01-05, 12:47 AM
with spacers and wide 17" wheels you will chew through wheel bearings like no tomorrow :o

Chris_W
31-01-05, 01:14 AM
I had this when I fitted coilovers to mine. You've got a few options. One, get ecccentric top mounts, this way you can mount the shock further in towards the car, and this will give you more clearance. Second, use spacers and move the wheel out, but you might catch the archs. Third, you can either: Wind the collar up to clear the rim/tyre but this might look silly height wise, or just get shorter front springs so the collar is clear, and the suspension height is how you want it.

Chris

Aragorn
31-01-05, 01:45 AM
ok im confused as to how this can happen?

the coil is narrower than the standard coilspring so unless you have them set stupidly low causing the coil to be past the level of the wheel then you shouldnt have an issue

fitted some spax rsx to my bro's and set front to -60mm and its perfectly fine with et49 wheels

the other solution would be to get some customised front springs which are shorter than the std ones but have same lb and rate settings so you could have the spring platform higher

Chris_W
31-01-05, 02:18 AM
Aragorn,
I had Avos on mine, Dare V1s 17 x 7 ET45, and @ -60mm it was very close to couching the wheel rim, so I know what he's talking about. The easiest solution would just be to get the same rate springs, but 1" shorter.

Chris

Aragorn
31-01-05, 09:30 AM
i should really have a look at my bro's as i didnt even think of it when i fitted them

u may find the larger rolling radius of the 17's doesnt help either...

rodgerq
31-01-05, 08:38 PM
the coilover body is actually thicker at the back of the wheel than the standard units. the standard units are thin till the spring platform which is above the wheel but the coilovers are larger diameter all the way up.

rodgerq