PDA

View Full Version : o/s CV boot has split,

az_e11
30-01-05, 11:39 AM
o/s CV boot has split, needs to be done for MOT
how hard is this to replace/fix?, and if i got a garage to do it, wot sort of prices am i looking at?

Cherz

:(

B4 CON
30-01-05, 12:05 PM
right. i had this fail on my m.o.t i just went and bought a universal cv boot for my nova. cut it to size then fitted it on. its pretty straight forward mate. P.S make sure theres no grease on the lip of the cv keeps slipping off.

Will
30-01-05, 12:08 PM
DIY with the correct tools will cost under a fiver

garage will cost abt 50 notes or so

az_e11
30-01-05, 12:09 PM
right. i had this fail on my m.o.t i just went and bought a universal cv boot for my nova. cut it to size then fitted it on. its pretty straight forward mate. P.S make sure theres no grease on the lip of the cv keeps slipping off.

hi, m8, cher\z for the reply

Basically i dont know much about this o/s CV boot has split, where abouts is it on the car, and wot sort of prices, and how did u have to fit it on

cherz

Adam
30-01-05, 12:33 PM

hi, m8, cher\z for the reply

Basically i dont know much about this o/s CV boot has split, where abouts is it on the car, and wot sort of prices, and how did u have to fit it on

cherz
You don't know where they are :?

They are rubber boots, on the driveshafts. They protect the cv joint, if you leave the boot split, dirt etc gets into the joint and you need the whole joint repairing like my astra did.
Don't know how much it would cost for a garage to replace it, but i was charged ?72 for the cv joint to be replaced, so the boot should be a lot less.
You could do it yourself, just use a haynes manual

az_e11
30-01-05, 01:12 PM
ok, cherz

I know exactly where they are now thanks, just had a look

rysmee
30-01-05, 08:24 PM
be daring and have a go at doing the the boot! and the proper boot at that! DONT get one of those universal ones.. it WILL split within the next year and youll have the same problem next year!!!
Its very easy with the right tools and patience. First off... with the car on the ground- if you have removable centre caps, undo the main hub nut (30mm), then get your wheel off, undo suspension strut, bottom ball joint, and tie rod (will prob need a ball joint seperator- unless your very lucky!)remove brake caliper and take whole knucke off. then you just have the cv joint sitting there in all its glory. cut old boot off, get a good set of cir-clip pliers and release the joint from the driveshaft. Then its just a case or sticking the new boot on, packing it with grease, and putting everyting back together! would recommend unsing jubilee clips on new boot, NOT the crappy crimp clips that normally come with the kits, they are a bitch! just make sure the jubilee clip doest hit the knuckle when you put it back on if you do that though! i found out the hard way-doh! hmmm..think that should cover it... easy!