PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a XE

Powelly5624
28-01-05, 04:03 PM
Couple of noob questions,

Am in the process of building a XE'd Nova. I don't know any history about the lump so am planning on a basic full rebuild.

Could people let me know what parts would be advisable to change / upgrade while it's stripped? I am thinking along the lines of tappets, hydrolic lifters, valve springs, valve stem seals etc.

I just want it to run nice and smooth, no smoke or taps.

Any ideas or input from people who have rebuilt their XE would be fantastic.

As always, thank you all for your help and input.

Powelly :)

david dixon
28-01-05, 04:39 PM
If your thinking about fitting new lifters and springs etc. You might aswel just buy a fast road cam kit and you'll get them with the cams!
Usea steel head gasket from a z20let, replace the inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets, get yourself a cool running stat about ?19 so it'll run cooler also use a oil cooler.
If I was doing it i would also change the full timing belt kit and change the bottom end shells, when refitting them use Regal big end bolts ?65.
If you want to do a bit more, use some 4 pin bosch plugs and raise the fuel pressure (using a 3 bar reg) a bit and when its run in get it set up on a rolling road and it'll run and feel sweet as a nut!

Powelly5624
28-01-05, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the info, i will be running with a oil cooler but unsure of the best location for it. I was thinking in front of the radiator but like i said unsure. The stuff you mentioned sound perfect for what i want, would it be worth getting a fuel pressure regulator to help with the fuelling also?

And what's the score with the Mantzel Powercaps? I have heard mix responses about these some good some bad. I really wanted to run it with a Nova Gsi standard airbox and a pipercross panel filter but i bet this can't be done with the size of the XE.

david dixon
28-01-05, 05:38 PM
You could use a calibra turbo feul pressure regulator which is 3 bar or buy a adjustable reg! I would just fit the oil cooler in front of rad!

If you going to get a power cap make sure you buy the regal one as its a cast cap and not ground out, its the largest and smoothest I also think its the cheapest!

Philsutton
28-01-05, 07:57 PM
it depends how far you want to go, you could spend 1000's upgrading while you built up. Have you checked the bottom end, does it smoke when running

Snowface
29-01-05, 11:37 AM
don't u need pocketed pistons to run lumpy cams on an XE?

Powelly5624
29-01-05, 11:38 AM
Thanks lads, i heard that them Powercaps actually lose you power but unsure how.

I have not heard the engine running so unsure if it smokes, it might be okay but knowing my luck i will stick it in and it smoke like hell!

I just want the engine to be strong and in good running order so i can eventually do a few more upgrades without worrying.

So after the mentioned replacements and upgrades, is it recommended to run it all in and for how long.

Also what kind of oil do people run it the XE and how often do you change

Thanks again

burgo
29-01-05, 11:42 AM
last i heard about the power caps is that they increase power but drop the torque

nova_kev
29-01-05, 01:10 PM
i wouldn't bother with the power cap. Save your money for something more substantial like Throttle Bodies :D

Philsutton
29-01-05, 09:09 PM
i borrowed a power cap when i went down to santa pod, it didnt make any difference at all, if anything i'd say it ran worse

Jonlem
30-01-05, 03:23 AM
you only need pocketed pistons if you are running "wild" cams, often depends on if u are using verniers and u want to adjust for optimum cam timing and lift etc etc.., also you cant run mega cams on standard injection sytem, needs to be carbed or on TB's.

Haven't experienced any problems with power caps, not ever seen r/r figures of an engine with one, or sfi box or eco tech pipe, would be interesting to see what gives the best h/p and torque, it could also maybe differ depending on what spec engine you have, mine was 171bhp off gas with a group N ecu, flowed head, maybe cammed, unsure and a power cap, 230 on gas though :)

A 3 bar regulator will be needed if u chip it but otherwise its not needed,

i only use Shell Helix oil in all my engines, personally the best stuff on the market

Powelly5624
31-01-05, 05:17 PM
Thanks lads for the info,

Better get stripping then!