PDA

View Full Version : Removing Steering Wheel!!!

sdownin
28-01-05, 09:36 AM
Whats up every1!! Ive just bought a Nova SRi and im havin difficulty changing my steering wheel!! Could sum1 point me in the right direction?!?!?! Cheers

Gunzi
28-01-05, 09:45 AM
U can either buy a special puller for it from Vauxhall (i think)

OR you can get in the car, remove the horn cover, then loosen the nut - just loosen it do not remove it. Now place you feet at the back of the footwell behind the pedals and grip the wheel firmly. Lift your body off the seat now and rock the wheel side to side using your body weight, until you hear a sort of snapping noise (this is the steering wheel coming unstuck and hitting the nut) Now remove the nut and the wheel should be easy to remove.

Make sure you only loosen the nut as someone I know didn't do this and the wheel came off with all his force and hit him in the face - quite hard!

Good Luck and if it dooesn't come off you are not pulling hard enough!

There are other methods out there but I prefer this one!

sdownin
28-01-05, 10:30 AM
Cheers mate! Ill try that asap!!!

Aragorn
28-01-05, 10:34 AM
that method has never worked for me and ive done about 6 or 7 wheels,

get the draper puller but be warned it doesnt fit properly and will need some fettling with a grinder or somthing to make it work

mine snapped and only has one leg but still takes wheels off with ease

srs1
28-01-05, 10:44 AM
i got my draper puller the other day and it works dead easy.
less hassle then trying to climb all over the dash to get the wheel off

Gunzi
28-01-05, 10:55 AM
that method has never worked for me and ive done about 6 or 7 wheels,

You didn't do it properly then!

I've removed my 'wheel on a couple of occasions and this method worked fine, but its each to there own, I'm a skint student so I'd rather not pay for things if they can be done for free! (plus hassle of actually going to a shop to buy it!)

Stuart
28-01-05, 10:58 AM
i used the puller, and fecked the column lol but hey

the hitting trick does work, but you have to be carefull not to get carried away and bend the column.

when you refit it just brush the splines with a grease/lube so next time it should come off with a few taps etc.

sdownin
28-01-05, 02:55 PM
Also people, the previous owner tried to spray the car black and the paint's coming away!!! The under colour is red. Shall i get it resprayed black or go back 2 red? And how much should it cost 2 get it done?

Cheers!!