PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank

jynxy
27-01-05, 11:47 PM
Hello i have a 1.2 merit 1992

just wondered if the fuel tank is directly under the rear seat as i want to fit a bracket that will hold the seat down.

im hoping that i can or else i will have to find someone to weld it for me :(

or is there another way of doing it ?

JynxY

burgo
27-01-05, 11:48 PM
do you mean you are trying to put a split rear seat in where you had a solid bench?? if so you can just rivit the bracket in

jynxy
27-01-05, 11:53 PM
yeah.

so it is cool to screw into it then ?

how deep can i go ?

JynxY

burgo
27-01-05, 11:55 PM
what you do is line where it gotta go then mark it up then you have to drill threw (careful not to puncture the tank lol) and use some large rivits and rivit it in place, its so easy .

jynxy
27-01-05, 11:56 PM
so the tank is underneath :/

will i get away with half inch screws ?

burgo
28-01-05, 12:01 AM
lol i wouldnt use screws mate

Aragorn
28-01-05, 12:12 AM
u need to weld them in

and i'd recommend dropping the tank as it sits right hard against the other side of that panel

jynxy
28-01-05, 12:20 AM
is it hard to drop the tank ?

loggyboy
28-01-05, 12:51 AM
If you look under the car between the tank and the rear beam you should see the bolts for the seat belts, im pretty sure there is plenty of clearance.
Just have a look at where the seat belt bolts are and compare to where u need to drill, then u have a reference to how close to the tank you will be.

Aragorn
28-01-05, 10:32 AM
the base hinges are at the front of the seat not at the back where the belts attach and as such are right against the tank

i was welding these into my car yestarday and believe me its right against the tank

Stuart
28-01-05, 10:43 AM
drop the tank out

run V low on fuel and then get under there and disconnect the hoses, sender and tank pump if you have one

undo the 2 nuts on the straps and then drop those, wiggle the tank out and bobs your fathers brother.

if you dont want to weld them then rivet them in, if you dont want to do that then bolt them in BUT you will need to have the bolt heads on the outside of the car and maybe even trim them down to be mega low profile.

try araldite though lmao

Aragorn
28-01-05, 10:44 AM
yer araldite may actually work

Stuart
28-01-05, 10:52 AM
you do know i was taking the piss :p

mind you if you dont have a fatty in there it could well hold. maybe get chemical metal instead (or aswell)

prehaps no more nails lmao