PDA

View Full Version : ignition

sickrabbit
27-01-05, 10:38 PM
guys please , dont larf ( i,m an embarressed newbie )...the strange thing is i have to turn the ignition key to the third point before any power is registered to the display ect , surely power should engage on the second "click " on the turn of the key - allowing you to listen to the radio ect... ( first is obviously the steering lock )...
whats going on here - and how do i fix it ?
cheers :oops:

dunova
27-01-05, 10:49 PM
If you can turn the electrics on without starting the engine, afaic there's nothing wrong :?:

Can you turn the key so all the electrics light up but the engine doesn't turn over?[/code]

sickrabbit
27-01-05, 11:11 PM
cheers m8 ... i must have wired the stereo up wrong then ( or its faulty ) cos it wont hold the time nor stations in memory ...turn off ignition ...lose the lot. :oops:

burgo
27-01-05, 11:11 PM
you havn't got a constant live to you stereo by the sounds of it then, which is the yellow on most i beleave

Aragorn
28-01-05, 12:11 AM
nova barrel only has 4 positions

locked, unlocked, switched live on, start

so the third click should engage the starter

remember after disengaging the steering lock u need to turn it about 1/4 turn to the unlocked position the initial click of the steering column lock disengaging is not a barrel position

so basically the stereo should come on with the rest of the dash lights etc as they are all run from the same position on the ignition barrel

iirc there is a function to operate things at position 1 (im sure theres an empty spade on the barrel) but its not used in the nova

burgo
28-01-05, 12:24 AM
aragon i have just taken appart a spare ignition switch i had on my window sill and from what i can work ok the spare spade labled P is a constant live

sickrabbit
29-01-05, 07:55 PM
now done n dusted.....

( wish me luck MOT next week ) :twisted:

johnny27
30-01-05, 11:18 PM
you say your radio is not holding the presets or time, you have to switch the two lives + around in vauxhall to get this to work.

Aragorn
31-01-05, 01:50 AM
P is for parking lights

its not used on the nova but im sure it provides power when the switch is off but not when its on? i'd need to check as im not 100% sure