PDA

View Full Version : Its do or die

krobinson
27-01-05, 09:10 PM
Right boys and girls. After reading that brett is selling his nova (Gutted!!) and with the nova scene slowly fading, it has been said that this year will be a do or die year for the nova!

If this year is as bad as the last few, then it is feared that the Nova will not have any presence in 2006 and will mearly be a novalty at a show, that people will laugh at. Let all get our fingers out of our arses (you know who you are) and our rachets out of our tool boxes and get our cars but back together and on the road for 2005.

Thoughts/opinions

Keith

Benn
27-01-05, 09:12 PM
mine will be on the road b4 the end of feb.....
might even spend some cash and get a set of tb's...

epo
27-01-05, 09:14 PM
i must admit am fed up of the nova now and want rid
tbh i want a standard car and to keep it standard and shell all my money into my house

Adam Moran
All the well known names may well be selling there Nova's but i know of a few that are in hiding and are just as mint. The Nova wont die ;-)

I should be done for May :D

SKoob
I don't think the nova scene will ever really dissapear, theres been many nice novas built recentley such as Alex Macs, Jims, Yours and plenty more are being built. And i'm working hard to try and get mine done for early summer this year 8)

novacabrio
27-01-05, 09:15 PM
Agreed! come on people. we are all quilty of putting our cars away and not bringing them out if it raining etc (me included) but its just a car, thats what we have them for. Lets all make sure we show all the corsa, astra saxo boys what we are made of and go all out for 2005 and make it hopefully a year to remember for the right reasons not for it being the year the nova died.

Nick
27-01-05, 09:32 PM
ok, keith, my 1.6 will be done for the 13th of august and will be approx 150bhp. is that good enough for you :wink: ?

Im afraid the car won't look anything special, just GSi kit and interior, same colour as it stands now, no coilovers or anything.

So it wont be a show car, but it'l be clean, and a bit of a monster.

if you really love your car you shouldn't care who's selling up. I don't really mind all these people selling up because really it doesn't effect my car or the love i have for it, or the plans i have for it !?

After i finish uni, the car will be stripped, and have a bare shell respray. I will never sell my nova.

burgo
27-01-05, 09:35 PM
ive got a couple of plans for this year

plus you dont have to worry novas wont dissapear

ANDYRACER
27-01-05, 09:38 PM
Hopefully be building mine over the summer (no garage) Nova sr hopefully on t40 webbers going to c hw much i can gt out of a 1.4 coz cnt insure anything bigger and adicted to power. :D Ill never stop luvin novas cnt bet thm cheap powerful and luk great

Nick
27-01-05, 09:38 PM
nope your right burgo, jst checked n mines still outside !

yes burgo, i know all about your plans....

lets just say, it'l be interesting to see my TWINs 40's when they are on and running.

I sure hope i see Another burgandy nova at the show next year.

Jack
27-01-05, 09:40 PM
I will never sell my nova.
I remember when I said that.... one down, and the saloon isn't going to be around long. I can afford to buy and insure bigger and (arguably) better cars, and I have neither the time or patience to keep a 14+ year old car on the road. So to me the Nova has started to lose its appeal. :cry:

...although I'll probably buy another one after a couple of years :wink:

Nick
27-01-05, 09:43 PM
my dad keeps his classic car, at his house and enjoys taking it up to goodwood for private trackdays.

he's allready said that he will be against me selling it after i've spent so much money on it. So when i'm starting my career he'l keep the car for me, do bodywork, maintain and run it at the trackdays.

hopefully should keep it ticking away.

boredbloke
27-01-05, 09:47 PM
I reckon there's more nova's being driven about near me than there is on this site!

In fact on my usual walk to the station i regularly see about 5 or 6!! bit mank though most of e are still standard and look old!

dan-hipgrave
27-01-05, 09:51 PM
I plan to have my red 3door up and running well before the summer - GSi stylee with a 1.4srT40 engine..

Wont be a show stopper, but will be another decent nova on the road this year.

But as Skoob said - the Nova scene will never really disappear, just seems like its going to because a lot of decent ones are being broken lately..Wait until the show season comes - then the decent Novas will be out in force :D

burgo
27-01-05, 09:56 PM
lol mine aint exactly gonna be show standard nick

krobinson
27-01-05, 10:04 PM
if you really love your car you shouldn't care who's selling up. I don't really mind all these people selling up because really it doesn't effect my car or the love i have for it, or the plans i have for it !?

Its not just the car's mate, its the people who built them. Most of my time at show's is spent chatting to everyone, and some really sound people are selling up, that i'll miss talking to!

Plus, i'd prefer to take my car to a show/event with loads of other Novas, than with just a few. As there's more to see/do, and more people to talk to!

Keith

Stuart
27-01-05, 10:08 PM
hang on its hardly "dying out" at pv last year there was 5hit loads of novas esp ones with sodding xe engine in.

just because a few people who were the "first" to really do things are leaving. dosent mean its the end of the world oh no were all gonna die and the nova will be forgotten for ever and ever.

get a grip

people come and go, times change etc.

srs1
27-01-05, 10:23 PM
like at pv there were loads of xe's nova's.
come this years, theres going to be even more, and with more tricks up there sleeves.

the nova will eventually die out, but as long as there are people that look after them, then they are here to stay.

you must remember, if bret had spent 40k on his car, then he would soon come to realise, that he could have bought the brand new evo 8 400bhp car by now and bought a evo 6 as a run around, paid half of his mortgage off. sooner or later, like really good classic cars, they cost to maintain.
only the die hard nova fan will keep up the costs as the mint shells disappear.

SRimon
27-01-05, 11:05 PM
I won't sell this nova I have now, spent too much money on it

peester
27-01-05, 11:23 PM
my thought is (and i dont know if anyones already sed this as i havent read the replies) that novas are a make do most of the time. brets and other big money novas are quite rare. simply cos not many people see them as worthy of spending ?20,000 on. thats the whole point of novas in my eyes- theyre cheap to buy and do up. you get good gains; for little outlay. plenty for your money. so its probably just because people are thinking buying the car that already does it/has it rather than turning theyre nova into one. the other reason is - theyre not in fashion anymore. jap and french motors are. thats where theyre all going. one day soon though they will make a bit of a come back - as they rightly shud a classic, old skool motor.

fearless
27-01-05, 11:32 PM
Let all get our fingers out of our a*** (you know who you are) and our rachets out of our tool boxes and get our cars but back together and on the road for 2005.

Don't worry Keith - I've actually made a start on my 'Famous' project - If you thought Bretts was good - wait till you see this one !!!!

Bretts was only a practice run ...LOL

Dave

krobinson
28-01-05, 12:21 AM
I'm likeing the sound of this Dave!! Your work is fantastic, so i cant wait to see this (i guess i'll be waiting a year or two tho!)

The new rusty rocket, without the rust :D

Keith

Rick Draper
28-01-05, 12:35 AM
FFS you all need to stop pissing your pants and get yourselves together. 2 people have ended there projects, one that did not even go to trax last season, fucking some presence that is aint it.

NickWalliams
28-01-05, 01:19 AM
I think krobinson is Panicking!

There are still loads of novas left, more gettin done now cos its alot cheaper than it used to be! :lol:

Chris
28-01-05, 01:35 AM
I think they are crap

Stuart
28-01-05, 07:51 AM
me thinks mr robinson wants to felate brett and dave lol

get a grip folks

ps wear sunscreen

Lee H
28-01-05, 08:59 AM
Its hardly a big deal really is it, don't see what all the fuss is about, there are still plenty of decent cars out there so one or two going isn't such a big deal!!

CP
28-01-05, 09:43 AM
My opinion for what its worth is this. You wont find many cars as affordable, that are so easy and cheap to get so much fun out of. Its no coincidence that they are still a major force in competitive motorsport like rallying etc.

I have driven alsorts of cars over the years including some really fast cars and I still rate a well tuned Nova as amongst the most rapid and exciting for a to b driving. You would need to spend a shed load of cash on a std production car to lose dan and his nova round the bendy stuff for instance! There's no reason why you cant get a clean shell, get it tidy, install 160hp under the bonnet, sort the wheels and suspension and transmission and add a few nice gadgets for less than ?5k all in if you shop around and DIY

The downside is that they tend to be unreliable made worse by age and rust is always a battle. If you aren't into tinkering all the time at them the attraction can wear off and they are a bit on the small side!

I agree tho that certain people " you know who you are" *cough* Ian need to get their arses into gear :P

Ben
28-01-05, 09:47 AM
get a grip folks

Here here, this is getting a fcuk joke!

krobinson
28-01-05, 11:24 AM
me thinks mr robinson wants to felate brett and dave lol

I think krobinson is Panicking!

This has nothing to do with me brown noseing anyone, or paniking. Yes there may be plenty of Novas left, but in the last 2 years they have lacked a good following on the show circut. Not a big deal you might think, but it's much more enjoyable the more people turn up.

This is pretty much trying to get some motivation into people to get there fingers out, and for the people who have the car's, to show them!

Keith

Snowface
28-01-05, 11:45 AM
all this pessimism is bringing a dark cloud over this forum. lol.

quit talking all this doomsday crap and lighten up a bit.

You can't say its dying out when you got people on here getting new and original projects underway/finished. Neil, philsutton, madrick and BigRuss to name a few good examples.

Breeny
28-01-05, 12:04 PM
Couldn't be arsed reading all the above ^^^ This thread is completely pointless..

There will be nova's to come for a LOOONG time yet.. look at the dub scene, mk1's golfs etc. There still as popular as ever and I believe Nova's are too.

So what, Brett wants to sell his, as does Nick Caro etc etc

You only have to look at Chris T's new car, Jims, Rick Drapers, Austins RWD, Stuarts new beasty, yours Keith. (Maybe even mine, you never know :wink:) I could bang out a list of cars all day long.. :roll:

raza
28-01-05, 12:55 PM
As soon as my new Credit Card comes ... im sticking all the money of the card in to the car:) New body kit.. twin 40s engine work new wheels then a nice full respray . new sound system wanting to spend 3000 on it and stuff the rain and shit at the end of the day its a car and ment to be Driven cant hide it away cos there is a bit of rain .. Long live the Nova,

andybishop
28-01-05, 12:57 PM
:oops: Best pull our finger out and build the 2 stuck in my garage at the moment then.... and i'll have to get Rob Delicata and Ian Homles back in the mood of things with their's to try and get them out the garages this year... although i think the engine is coming out of one of them for a bit of cleaning....

nova---chris
28-01-05, 02:22 PM
There should be quite a few novas about this year im hoping.

I mean theres Ricks / Dans rebuilt shell / keith robinsons/andy b / martin weavers car(always liked it) / mark beeson / russ / karl rowntree (if he does bring it out) maybe fearless will come out with something?? / and ian storeys will be real neat when together. Breeny might pull is finger out also :) im sure theres gonna be some high powerd turbos this year . And then myself whos car isnt a million miles away. And i have some added spice for this year :)

Theres many more not named there but theres plenty of awesome novas left out there. Decent selection of looks/speed/rally ect ect
I dont think we are dead just yet. Perhaps if theres a few less novas the bad things associated with them might go away and join some other clubs like the saxos ect.

Adam Moran
28-01-05, 02:49 PM
although i think the engine is coming out of one of them for a bit of cleaning....

OMG! Ian was cleaning that engine 3 years ago when i last saw it!! It looked like a mirror then lol

krobinson
28-01-05, 03:20 PM

I mean theres Ricks / Dans rebuilt shell / keith robinsons/andy b / martin weavers car(always liked it) / mark beeson / russ / karl rowntree.

Martin weaver's should hopefully make an appearence at some stage this year. Maybe Andy's will too, you never know? C'mon lads!!!

although i think the engine is coming out of one of them for a bit of cleaning....

OMG! Ian was cleaning that engine 3 years ago when i last saw it!! It looked like a mirror then lol

Its Rob he's talking about, Black Concourse GSI!

Keith

Lee H
28-01-05, 03:26 PM
Mine might if I ever decide what i'm going to do, just been looking at new turbos!! Getting tempted!!

krobinson
28-01-05, 03:37 PM
Get it road worthy, then decide ;)

Keith

dan16v
28-01-05, 04:40 PM
myne will be done this year, got a new job woth loads of extra cash to pump into it 8)
i think this year there are some realy good novas about to make a return :?:

krobinson
28-01-05, 05:34 PM
Nice one Dan, Get some fresh pic's/progress update thread started :D

Keith

Nick
28-01-05, 05:37 PM
i pulled my finger out of my arse just before.. and went and ordered half the stuff for my engine.

hopefully the block should be getting rebored and rebuilt in the next few weeks. just need to get hold of a head now :-)

nova---chris
28-01-05, 06:55 PM
Im hoping to be on the tails of the turbos this year at pod!
Or infact beating quite a few of them.
But time will tell. The parts are there. its just getting them working together and working well.

Can see a few adverts of rifle range perhaps being on the car lol!
just for the fun of it i think!!
Anyone on here get graphics done at decent prices?

srs1
28-01-05, 07:23 PM
people also have to remember that alot of the good cars are put away for the winter to avoid the harsh weather.
so this process alone saves the good ones.

i was hoping to be on the tail of chris chasing the lets, but it looks like he's stepped the power band up again.
:twisted:

dan16v
28-01-05, 07:48 PM
Maybe with out being gay etc, people could post up dead lines etc for parts of there car which needs to be finished. if they dont meet the dead lines all users can slate them :lol:
would give people something to work to?
i hope that in the next 2 weeks i will have fresh pics of myne being 85% there :wink:

Nick
28-01-05, 07:59 PM
ok Dan16v

3 Weeks time - T40's aquired, jetted + all other bits purchased (inlet e.t.c)

5 weeks time - Block rebored, new Pistons and rings.

10 weeks time - Headwork done

12 weeks time - Cam aquired, most of engine built

16 weeks time - Pretty much built the engine

10th of August - Car Stripped and preped

13th of august - Engine in and insured.

That's my deadlines, i probably wont make any of the ones apart from the final one.

Philsutton
28-01-05, 08:06 PM
Maybe with out being gay etc, people could post up dead lines etc for parts of there car which needs to be finished. if they dont meet the dead lines all users can slate them

thats a good idea, a bit of bullying is always good. Im not even going to but an dead lines up as it could be done this year it could be another 2

mikey14sr
28-01-05, 08:18 PM
[/quote]...although I'll probably buy another one after a couple of years :wink:[/quote]

exactly what i've just done!!! Only this ones gonna be staying, so start buying those new panels boys, cos if you dont i will!!!

hope to have the sr on the road b4 summer- due to work i can only do anything to it at weekends

novacabrio
28-01-05, 08:25 PM
people seem to miss the point. this was put up as a slating of the nova :roll:

Adam
28-01-05, 08:51 PM
I am sorry, but i do think that there will be an end to the nova.
Each year more rotten shells are getting scrapped, and less are getting recovered and re-built.
People will move on to other cars and away from novas. The majority of people with other cars do not like novas, so people are bound to get rid.
:|
LongLiveTheNova!!!

Nick
28-01-05, 08:53 PM

LongLiveTheNova!!!

lmao

Adam
28-01-05, 08:58 PM

LongLiveTheNova!!!

lmao
LOL, i don't want it to happen, hence LONGLIVETHENOVA
But i think it will :(

Mike.
28-01-05, 09:32 PM
it probably will happen but i'm keeping my nova, i have some good plans for it, it does need alot of work but i'm not bothered, because i enjoy fixing the car up, isn't that the whole idea really

karl Rowntree
28-01-05, 10:16 PM
Chill!

I think we need to take a step back and remember why we do these things (build our cars)

I personally dont really mind if the nova scene dies out, i think it could be a good thing in a way (dont take that the wrong way :wink: ) But to be honest i think its only just about to kick off again. Cars are being built now with the same enthusiasm as were being buit 7 years ago with all the old school members. If the nova scene dies out most of the mint examples will remain, but people have to move on.

I am lucky as in i can keep my nova and carry on modding it and also own my other dream car. TBH having owned the evo i think i still prefer the nova! As CP said the nova really is value for money, and there isnt really anything to touch it for the cost.

I wont be out in my nova this year i dont think. Its gone into its new home now, and i am about to pull a few bits off so i cant do any more track days! Though its not the end, i will be changing a few bits and tidying up as its had a hard year! You have to keep on top of them all it will start to look a bit shaby.

I say fair play to brett :wink: He owned THE best built nova and hes moving on to better things, it is only a car after all. I just hope the car goes to a good home (i considered buying it but dont want to sell the evo :lol: ) if not, i want first refusual on all the parts :lol:

Karl

Dan
28-01-05, 10:50 PM
Though its not the end, i will be changing a few bits and tidying up as its had a hard year!

Hmm complete respray to replace all the paint that got polished off during 2004 being top of the list i guess :wink:

From my point of view the scene is no different now to what it was 7-10 years ago, its just the names are changing around again

Barn
28-01-05, 11:23 PM

I mean theres Ricks / Dans rebuilt shell / keith robinsons/andy b / martin weavers car(always liked it) / mark beeson / russ / karl rowntree / Chris Barnett's (Me)
wont be long and mine will be done...new engine (1300), 16's, abit of kittage...hopefully done before my trial in March (hint hint Russ!) lol

Ian
29-01-05, 03:00 PM
Let all get our fingers out of our a*** (you know who you are) and our rachets out of our tool boxes and get our cars but back together and on the road for 2005.

Don't worry Keith - I've actually made a start on my 'Famous' project - If you thought Bretts was good - wait till you see this one !!!!

Bretts was only a practice run ...LOL

Dave

i dont believe that for a minute lol next you will be saying you have made martins mirrors!!!

Ian
29-01-05, 03:01 PM
Cambridge stop being a bitch lol, only jealous as your 1.2 wont pull the skin off a rice pudding :P

dooooney
29-01-05, 10:30 PM
I agree but the nova aint exsactly the best of cars as ive had one it was going all good then boom there goes ma engine and i twas not happy cause we all do so much to these little cars but there is a meaning to all of it.
they are very special ther is somthing about the nova it has presence it has attatude 8) it just is the best lil car i will have owned theres a couple of miner things with novas but compared to the fun that you get from it its well worth it
from what i have done to my nova and driven it i have had a great time and at no cost on money!! :D
So at the moment im just waiting for the money and time to get a new engine to put in it but before that im going to get another car for transport issues and garage my nova so thats 1 less on the road sorry guys but i cant do anything about it.
but whe i have done my gcse's im going bk home for a month(AUST) and i will bring bk some of my m8s and then pull out the nova and get it fixed right up cause 3 auzzys on 1 pome car should fix it no time all i have to do is sort out the rear rust issue drop another 1.4 init get it resprayed and then sort out my inteior eletrical probs and hope that i can get it on the road for end of the of 05 but till it is i have to say goodbye to all the nova ppl as i prob wont be on hear much no more but i will update ma profile and have all the pics before the poor car is garaged then it will b washed every month to prevent more rust from getting on it but till then i will try to keep intouch

l8ers all Dooooney 8)

ollster
30-01-05, 01:47 AM
i hope the nova scene as its called dies out, the nova has a bad rep as a chav car. Hopefully if everyone on that side of it moves onto newer things the true enthusiasts will get the respect they deserve for quality builds just like the mk1 golf etc boys do. I mean look at all the slagging that has gone off about bretts car being sold, i have a lot of freinds that build VW's and no one bats an eye lid when a mk1 with a 20v turbo engine in that cost 4 or 5 grand to build get sold on for 6 or 7 k!

i should hopfully have mine at shows this year im sure its missing a few bits still though, just cant put my finger on it lol... :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/Picture005.jpg

krobinson
30-01-05, 03:26 AM
Notice the printout of Karls Engine bay on the windscreen! 8)

Keith

ollster
30-01-05, 10:06 AM
yeh that was for the back panel :lol:

RJM25R
30-01-05, 10:44 PM
Nova's will be the "new" mk1 golf/mini mk1........

Enthusiasts will still buy/mod/drive them when all the chav-boys have bought the next-big-thing......................

The futures bright-The future's orange!!!!!!

:roll:

karl Rowntree
30-01-05, 11:24 PM
:lol: At the picture

Pleased to see people still use it for inspiration :wink:

If you need any advice mate just send me a message and i will reply, allways pleased to help.

Karl

ollster
31-01-05, 10:45 AM
cheers karl, i was trying to explain to the bodyshop how i wanted the back panel and in the end though it would be easier to just show them a pic :lol:

i wouldnt mind knowing how you have mounted your wing mirrors, i have made some carbon base plates but am unsure about he best eway to fasten the base plates/mirror assembly to the door. I dont really want to start having to drill new holes in the door if i can get away with it.

andybishop
01-02-05, 10:40 AM
Its Rob he's talking about, Black Concourse GSI!

Keith

Keith, It's Ian's engine that will be coming out for a clean this year......

Rob's car maybe for sale if anyone's interested.

_Ben_
01-02-05, 12:18 PM
I wonder if Jules has seen this yet... He's gonna wet himself when he see's that a diamond black GSi is for sale ;)

Cheers.