PDA

View Full Version : complete front panel

Mike.
27-01-05, 07:18 PM
i know were to get them from lol, what i want to know is how do i go about fitting one

ohh and when i mean complete front panel i mean the slam panel, down to the lower valance

intergraleevo
27-01-05, 09:31 PM
i bought one for me grasser. to get the old one off, i was told to find the spot welds and drill them out. so i have done. i cut off the slam panel at the intersection of the chassis near the wing, leaving about an inch of the old stuff on so i can line it up well (hopefully) after fitting engine (easier without the front panel!) and sorting out suspension. did the same with bottom cross member.
finding spot welds i found hard, missed a few times, i wouldnt be happy doing it on a road car, but i suppose its all hidden after. try to use a spot weld remover bit if you have one, i dont, used an 8mm bit. have a piece of chalk handy, the brighter the better. you can rub this over the area and look for any pits. on the other side should be a little bobble too. i had a red pen to mark as close to the center as possible.
my "secondary" technique was to get a cold chisel, and prise away the panel in certain places until i felt resistance, spot weld must be around here somewhere!
i actually got carried away and ripped a few out - try not to do that, makes a helluva mess! and this cars only going to get bashed about so i wasnt too worried!

putting them back on - i havent done this yet, but most of the tabs seem to be on the new panel. looks like it takes planning, otherwise you might be unable to go back and get to some of them. plus i cant weld (yet) so im not much help there.

wow, looks like ive written war and peace on that topic!

chris

Mike.
28-01-05, 05:06 PM
cheers chris