PDA

View Full Version : why do we like the nova

Mike.
27-01-05, 07:09 PM
on another post it has been mentioned that the scene is dying, because of newer trends and stuff, but why are we so attached to the nova??

dunova
27-01-05, 07:54 PM
Because they break all the fucking time, are a pain in the arse to work on and rust to shit :lol:

But on a more serious note, they look frapping gorgeous and everytime you go out driving you come back with a huge grin on your face :D

Nick
27-01-05, 08:25 PM
i don't understand this...

everyone i know is starting to think the nova is "cool" and Trendy ?

They're finally getting out of the bum loving saxo/jap phase.

When i see people from my old 6th form (who used to take the mic daily) all i do is get bummed about how good it's looking, how they're not so bad anymore, heard about the new engine e.t.c

Anyways i love them because

1 - They're simple
2 - DIY mechanics
3 - They look cool and retro (with some decent money spent )
4 - With a bit of money spent, performance wise they aren't too bad
5 - It's different to own a nova around my area. don't see many now
6 - they're an Icon. everyone knows the name nova (mainly for the wrong reasons)

And who cares if the scene is dying ? if everyone sells up would you sell up ?

I know i wouldn't, because i don't give a rats arse who else owns a nova, (novaload is great tho, i'd hate for novaload to die) i'd still love mine the same, if not more, and get this bloody new engine done even quicker.

Mike.
27-01-05, 08:30 PM
iff someone sold there nova i couldn't really give a damn because i wouldn't sell mine

i'm not a sheep who goes following people just because they've changed and decided to do something else.

i've had times with my car when i think, i can get a better car for the amount of money i've spent on the nova, but hey i've still got it and i ain't selling it yet

Nick
27-01-05, 08:40 PM
yep, i could go out now and buy a newish fiat punto or something, but i dunno, it doesn't wildly appeal to me.

it really pisses me off. all the old 6th form people, just cos they now see nova's as being more of a serious modifiying car and cool. Quite a few of them have seen the middle finger.

epo
27-01-05, 09:16 PM
am bored of my nova like ive said in a previous post i want a standard car

Mel
27-01-05, 10:12 PM
I just love the way they look, (Mk1 all the way baby lol) and they are fantastic fun to drive.

burgo
27-01-05, 10:27 PM
i agree with epo in a way, i love my civic for the fact its so simple and easy to drive and i can trust it......but its always nice to have a toy in the garage

peester
27-01-05, 11:34 PM
1 - They're simple
2 - DIY mechanics
3 - They look cool and retro (with some decent money spent )
4 - With a bit of money spent, performance wise they aren't too bad
5 - It's different to own a nova around my area. don't see many now
6 - they're an Icon. everyone knows the name nova (mainly for the wrong reasons)

i agree dude. nice one. nick for president!

chapers
27-01-05, 11:38 PM
i dunno what it is about the nova but its my first car and i wanted one since i was 15 so im chuffed that ive got it! and im with Nick about DIY mechanics because i can learn about it all too! around here everyone bums the saxo's an everyone takes the mic because its apparently the ultimate 'chav' car :? but i gotta say its a wicked runner :twisted:

chaps

Jack
28-01-05, 12:17 AM
They're good cars and I do really like them (out of all the small hatchbacks, Novas and 205s are by far my favourites); but I'm with epo, I'm getting bored of them, and now that I'm of an age where I can afford to buy bigger and better cars the temptation is too great.

Jos
28-01-05, 02:10 PM
Being new to the Nova 'scene' I can say, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that some of the Novaload veterans are becoming tired of the Nova.

Im just glad my very first car, is one I can look back at with good memories, everyone I know who's owned a Nova (you'd be suprised by the amount if you ask) has fond memories of their Nova. Im just glad I didn't buy something stupid like a Saxo :D

Jack
28-01-05, 02:27 PM
I know who's owned a Nova (you'd be suprised by the amount if you ask) has fond memories of their Nova.
Thats true - you'll find people who take the piss either have never owned/driven one (or if they have its only been on rare occasions), or compare them to cars far out of their league. Lest we forget the nova was only designed as a cheap runabout, with a couple of sporty versions thrown into the mix :wink:

IMO, compared to cars of the equivalent age/class etc (fiesta, uno, metro etc) Novas are top cars - the most reliable (imo 205's are let down on reliability), versatile (saloon, hatch, 3dr, 5 door, etc), and cost-effective car I can think of.

NovaloadedAgain
28-01-05, 04:11 PM
I sold my new Corsa SXi coz it jus didnt have the appeal. Boring run of the mill, Everywhere u go...u see "your car" Nova's are few & far between around my arae & havin a mint one makes you stand out. Long live the Nova & Novaload!

You can learn alot about cars by working on your Nova. Even changing the spark plugs n oil filter can be a nightmare on newer cars!!!

mikey14sr
28-01-05, 04:56 PM
I've had three nova's in the past, after swearing i'd never get one, and now, two years after getting a mk3 astra, i've bought another one. why?
Cause you just cant do to/drive a more modern car what you can to a nova.

?Marty?
28-01-05, 05:37 PM
I like the angular shape and boxed arches.

BUT i would no longer wish to actually own one.

Oh and 'a scene dying' affects everyone, since it affects availability of parts and etc. Plus everything that can be done, HAS been done. It's just boring now.

As time goes on, cars get 'better'. It's a fact. And as time goes on, the better cars become more affordable, with the introduction of even better cars. Why own something just for the sake of it.

Nick
28-01-05, 05:45 PM
no, the scene dyeing makes them even more unique and special.

anyway this is bollocks about the scene dyeing. i go to 2CV meets with my dad and they're still alive, after 60 years. I'd say the Nova is no less legendary.

And, let's be honest, they are pretty crap cars as standard lol

yes i should be president, then i'd command vauxhall to produce me a new shell (not that i rreally need one)

Philsutton
28-01-05, 07:12 PM
i go to 2CV meets
i hope to god that was a joke

mikey14sr
28-01-05, 08:50 PM
yes i should be president, then i'd command vauxhall to produce me a new shell (not that i rreally need one)

Haven't they still got 100 unregistered GSI's hidden somewhere??? Heard that they were keeping them back for some reason.

Nick
28-01-05, 08:57 PM
i go to 2CV meets
i hope to god that was a joke

Nope, go to brighton one with my dad in his dyane.

it's not a joke when you find out it's worth more than Any nova on this site :wink:

425cc 1962 dyane, optional extra handling kit (lmao) with a very very Strange rear 1/4 window.

was only made for a matter of weeks in the factory, so very little were produced.

it's the only known one in britain (of it's specific kind, there's loads of Dyanes), and the only known running one,registered to the club in europe.

Philsutton
28-01-05, 09:07 PM
hmmmm not my idea of fun, if i was to get a car from the 60's certainly wouldnt be one of them, i just cant think of one redeeming features at all.

optional extra handling kit
i didnt think that had any form of what could be called handling lol, all i know is you can drive across a field with a basket of eggs on an none will break :lol:

Nick
28-01-05, 09:11 PM
i know, alot of people laugh, but it's worth as much as a collector would be willing to pay. i'd say into 5 figures.

They are brilliant cars, it 100% met it's design principle . now you can't say that for many cars.

And you forgot the bags of Potato's.

0-60 is 1.01 minutes :-)
0-70 - N/A

Philsutton
28-01-05, 09:15 PM
And you forgot the bags of Potato's.
not heard about the bags of potatos, was this were people threw full bags at it to test it

Mike.
28-01-05, 09:23 PM
2cv's :lol: :lol:

i like the boxed arches on novas, its what makes them really, on 3 doors anyway

Nick
28-01-05, 09:26 PM
it was 2 people, some eggs and 10kg of potato's or something, across a ploughed field !

NCAP would piss themselves if you posted those test results to them these days.

Philsutton
28-01-05, 09:30 PM
thought thats how the french still do lol

Nick
28-01-05, 09:32 PM
Lol.. *everyone looks towards the direction of the nearest Citroen AX*