PDA

View Full Version : renault 5 GT turbos???

Anonymous
24-02-02, 08:54 PM
ok ive heard alot of people talk about how u shouldnt bother, cause of engine probs etc...
but its seems to me that they still manage to piss over a shit load of hot hatches 0-60 times even as standard! so wots the deal, anyone had one, or bin in one, or raced one etc... any info would be wicked
thanx :D

Anonymous
24-02-02, 11:20 PM
They are wank, tempremental shit, that only the french cud build as its like them, a bunch of fuckups. Rick

off for paint on the 25th!

Anonymous
25-02-02, 08:16 AM
I used to see them off quite easily with my 1.4. That was slightly moddified though. ;)

Anonymous
25-02-02, 09:30 AM
they are ugly heaps of shit

they are not to unrelable as long as you do not run them a to high boost

i am on the save for a new motor

Anonymous
25-02-02, 09:45 AM
Renaults?? Tsk, who'd buy them -they're all girlie wagons aren't they? Ahem lol!:p

Anonymous
25-02-02, 12:50 PM
SSshhhhhhhhhhh!

Anonymous
25-02-02, 01:56 PM
My mate had one and it spent more time off the road than on with engine probs etc.
He had 'tuned' it though, with low comp pistons etc and very high boost. His theory was if he lost a race with someone he would up the boost and try again!! Went like f**k though. He sold it in the end because it was to expensive to run, now has a cav GSI on throttle bodies.

Miles

Anonymous
25-02-02, 04:50 PM
yeh cough cough ;)

Anonymous
26-02-02, 10:26 AM
My mate has one with a volvo 440 turbo lump in it and that p1ss over anything!

Anonymous
26-02-02, 11:37 AM
i raced one the other month and it pissed all over me.

Anonymous
26-02-02, 12:09 PM
They'll be a bitch to work on if there anything like the other french cars. My first car was an AX one litre. Fucking pile of shit, not nice to work on.
also the dash on a GT5 is shit.
but they are fast n turbo'd.
i wouldn't get one though.

Anonymous
26-02-02, 05:04 PM
Me mate from work has got one, spent ?4K on a full engine rebuild with the full monty. I drove it a little while back and it was rapid - its going in the april/may revs. Nice motor!

Anonymous
26-02-02, 06:55 PM
dump valve. worth it just for that. and a nice big fat zorst. I wouldnt mind havin one, but it would have to be stripped, bucket seats in and a nice little cage. purely 4 driving to work though.

Anonymous
26-02-02, 06:55 PM
dump valve. worth it just for that. and a nice big fat zorst. I wouldnt mind havin one, but it would have to be stripped, bucket seats in and a nice little cage. purely 4 driving to work though.

Anonymous
26-02-02, 08:19 PM
yes ;) ;) ;)

Anonymous
27-02-02, 07:25 PM
who ever wrote there 1.4 could hav 1 is bull shittin i raced a dreg 1 in my gte fairly modded cam etc from about 25mph i botted it so did he he just kept up till bout 125 n then i over took him n had to carry on till 140 to make him feel a ****!, but there still frog shit!

Anonymous
28-02-02, 08:26 AM
HeHeheee. Read my post again. My SR was rather special. 1.4 on carbs with everything done running 130bhp and stripped to weigh under 700kg. Don't call me a Bullshitter! Standard R5's and to that matter moddified GTE/GSi's didn't stand a chance. Ask JKHilton!

Anonymous
28-02-02, 07:42 PM
sorry m8 u only said slightly modified tho!
well if my 1600 does em then the 16v should piss it!

Anonymous
28-02-02, 07:50 PM
and if u say you had 130bhp a standard ren 5 only has 10less bhp and due to the reno bein turbo it spools up alot better in higher gears than normaly aspirated even my friends 1.3 uno turbo seems fast when it spools up!
and as u said bout ur car if my gte which is cammed up 1800 jectors fse modified ecu in a 13 shell n stripped out not even a passenger seat! n can run 126bhp it still wouldnt run0-60 in much more/less than a reno 5 which as std is 7.3!

Anonymous
28-02-02, 09:01 PM
My mates brother had one went through more head gaskets then any car ive ever seen,but when he got an uprated gasket and done some other mods on the engine it went like stink.

Anonymous
28-02-02, 09:54 PM
Try fitting carbs! I never got any performance runs in when it was a 1.4, but I had many scalps to which there are some wittneses on site. The beauty of carbs (especially with smaller chokes) is the instant torque. Breeny saw me whoop a 1.9 205 GTi on numerous occasions, he was in it! My car was admittedly quicker when I'd done the same to a 1650 bottom end, and like that it was phenominal. The car was also stripped bare with no carpet or insulation in sight with two FIA approved 7kg seats. I never even had a stereo or glove box in it when I was being serious. Believe me the car was quick, but alas I can no longer prove or demonstrate it as the parts are scattered to the far corners of the country and I no longer own a NOva. :( The 1650 version used to spin in every gear in the wet once I'd moddified the gearbox ratio's and cover the 1/4 in a fraction above 15secs. Oh and point to point was quick with sorted brakes, decent rubber and adjustable suspension.