PDA

View Full Version : snap off steering wheel

srs1
26-01-05, 11:53 PM
i know this should be tech section, but my mot is on sat so want as many responses as pos.

who has one of these fitted to there car.
i cant get my head around how you get the wires to fit from the two sections that split, to make contact.
i would take a pic to show, but my digi wont download onto comp for some reason.

any info would be appreciated.

Jules
27-01-05, 12:03 AM
On the back of the steering wheel there is a small adaptor plate (where the removebale lock barrel goes through and where the two plungers are to release the wheel), on the back of this section there are two small 'button's' each one of these is connected to the horn push button on the centre of the steering wheel.
On the large hub that the wheel sits on (where the lockable barrel locks into and where the plungers also lock into) there are also a pair of 'buttons' that line up with the two 'buttons' on the back of the steering wheel once the wheel has been put on the hub (It'll only go on one way due to three locating pins).
So once the steering wheel is on the hub, the two sets of 'buttons' make contact and join the rest of the wiring for the horn.

srs1
27-01-05, 06:05 PM
on the back of this section there are two small 'button's' each one of these is connected to the horn push button on the centre of the steering wheel.

i take it they look almost the same as the other side.
it appears that mine does not have that, it is an open unit that you can see straight through. as i look up towards the push button to the horn, i can see the 2 spade connectors to the switch and thats it.
think i am going to have to wire in a seperate horn switch or extend the button type connectors up so they touch the spade connectors for the mot.

cheers jules.
:D

Nick
27-01-05, 06:31 PM
is it just the horn your stuck on ?

if so, just wire them up to a push switch somwhere, as long as you have a horn, it doesn't matter where it's at.

or get some corsa stalks and wire up the horn to the push button on the end of that.

Jules
27-01-05, 08:28 PM
Pics for SRS:

Back of wheel:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/julian.sumner/Car/Wheel.jpg
Back of hub:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/julian.sumner/Car/Hub.jpg

srs1
27-01-05, 10:06 PM
cheers jules, those pics do confirm that i dont have the plate that is supposed to be on the back of the wheel.

looks like a horn to be located somewhere else then.
i wonder if i can blow the car up doing the horn :lol:

Stuart
27-01-05, 10:09 PM
knowing you, yes lol

srs1
28-01-05, 01:03 PM
i found the plate i was missing, it was in the garage and for those of you that have seen it, its understandable why i never saw it.

Riggy
28-01-05, 01:04 PM
nice one matey , so does it work now :D

srs1
28-01-05, 01:10 PM
i'm doing it now as i type.