PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing on shocks??

dunova
26-01-05, 11:05 PM
Just fitted my astra gsi alloys today. The cars lowered 80mm front&back and doesn't rub anywhere apart from on the rear passenger side, and only when i turn right :?

As they're et49 and they're not near the arch's i'm guessing its rubbing on the shock sleeve? Is this right? What can i do about it?

Cheers

m.d.
26-01-05, 11:10 PM
im asuming you are running stabdard shocks on the rear yes?

the standard ones have a large plastic sleve arround them, when you get uprated shocks they wont, and will be much slimmer, this sleeve can be removed but the shock will die quickly due to all the crap getting into the seals

dunova
26-01-05, 11:14 PM
No not standard shocks-don't know what make, they're yellow :lol: They're quite rigid aswell. Anything else i can do apart from spacers?

I would have a look now, but it's dark so will have to wait until tommorrow. It sounds quite severe rubbing aswell, but i'm 100% sure it's not the arch :?

Rob-16v
27-01-05, 12:02 AM
Do you have to have coilovers to lower it 80mm???

Aragorn
27-01-05, 09:56 AM
why dont u look in the arch and see?

depending on the tire profile it could either catch on the shock dust covers or on a section of the arch that sticks out a bit just above the axle mounting

if u drive round some right handers and get it to scrape lots then park up and remove the wheel u should be able to see the marks

are u running 195/45? or 195/50

50 profiles are more likely to catch as they have a more round sidewall in general and are also the wrong size for the nova to keep the rolling radius the same

dunova
27-01-05, 10:24 AM
I will have a look, so it could be the inner arch? I'm running 195/50. I didn't really want to go to 195/45 because the suspension is already quite firm!

If it's the dust cover, i will try to just knock it back or something and if it's the inner arch i will probably just get some 4mm spacers.

The other thing is it only does it on the passenger rear side and not the drivers???

Aragorn
27-01-05, 10:31 AM
do not use spacers, uve got perfect ET for perfect handling so dont fuck it up with those stupid things

if anything take a hammer to the arch and knock it back in a bit, i doubt its the dust cover if its a loud scraping because noramlly the cover will just bent so it would be as audiable a scraping sound

i dunno why u think 45's will make it noticably harder ride than 50's

the slight difference in ride quality would be offset by the better feel from the more rigid sidewalls, and you'd have the added advantage that your speedo would be correct and your tires wouldnt scrape :p

oh and its only catching on one side due to shoddy design tolerances at the factory

theres summat like a 5mm tolerance for rear beam alignment

Ben
27-01-05, 11:14 AM
My et49 MO's used to catch on one side only so i ground a little off.

m.d.
27-01-05, 06:05 PM
my 16s only catch on one side too. its just novas lol