PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay "steaming"?

kitty_kitty
26-01-05, 01:57 PM
Got into my nova this morning, drove for about 10 minutes to get to work (nothing exsessive), pulled up out side work, got out of the car and noticed a reasonable amount of white "steam" coming from the front centre of the car. I opened the bonet and it seemed to fade. it was coming out of the front grill and gaps at the front of the bonet.

I know its hard because you cant look at it, but does any one have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks
Cathy

Chris
26-01-05, 02:10 PM
It was either Water on the radiator if it was raining or it is the radiator leaking, make sure you keep checking your water levels (not when warm though)

Chris

PrimaNova
26-01-05, 03:20 PM
yeah i've seen steam cummin outta mine as well sometimes. no idea y tho...

raza
26-01-05, 05:14 PM
was driving my mums car the other day poxy fiesta and the temp aguge went rite up to the red line ! and car started smoking not one drop of water in the bottle =\ phoned her up and told her she was like dint no u had to put water in it ;\ i was like wtf u have been driving 20 years she said i dont no other people do it ;\ daft cow ;\ had to walk and fillup a bottle out the boot so i could get home good job i was close to a garage at the time :|

CP
26-01-05, 07:04 PM
It could be a number of things - most likely:
1. If it was raining a lot and you just gone thru big puddles and stuff just before you stopped it could be just water splashing onto the exahust.
2. If you are losing coolant - check when cold! then you may have a leak somewhere - this is usually a radiator hose but can be also heater hoses if at the back of the engine bay. Sometimes they split in an obvious place other times they just leak a little next to the clips that hold them on. The clips themsleves sometimes fail.

best to keep drivin and keep checkin to see if it gets worse or if its a problem only in certain circumstances - should more easy to work out in dry conditions