PDA

View Full Version : scooby doo

James B
25-01-05, 12:45 PM
Looking at buying an Impreza, only a baby one, probably a 1.8, maybe even dare I say it 1.6 (can see them being really sluggish). Was wondering if anyone had any info on them. I know they have pretty strict and regular servicing schedules, which i shall do myself anyway. But still an expense! Also I know its a bit of swings and roundabouts but what would you consider the top mileage you could get out of one of those engines? In other words whats the MAXIMUM you would say I should be looking at gettin mileage wise?

Cheers in advance

James

Chris
25-01-05, 12:50 PM
I would say not to get it, they are real sluggish and has mentioned the servicing costs are quite large. For the same money you could get another saloon car with more toys and a bit more go

Chris

James B
25-01-05, 01:09 PM
dont necessarily want a saloon mate just a scooby :P i know the majority of people on here dont like them, so i await a barrage of abuse and mockery lol but i have a serious soft spot for them and would only be realisticly able to insure one of the smaller engined once. I drove a 2 litre sport recently and was rather disapointed performance wise. handling was good and you gotta love the throaty roar of the boxer engine, but its certainly no track weapon as it is. God knows what the smaller engined models are like in comparison :roll:

Only want it coz i love scoobies, perhaps a daft reason to buy one i suppose. If not I'll look at gettin another nova. Again.

raza
25-01-05, 01:11 PM
i like them Depending on what u want them for if you want it for the power then no but i like them

James B
25-01-05, 01:13 PM
no not for the power, or id get a nice XE nova, just for a car thats a bit more substantial, comfortable, and IMO very very nice to look at :P

raza
25-01-05, 01:25 PM
id get it then .. i wunt mind driving around in one :)

Fester
25-01-05, 01:26 PM
Probably better checking out Scoobynet, although you'll get looked down on for not wanting a 'proper' Subaru :roll:

Stuart
25-01-05, 01:36 PM
well what id suggest issssss

a 1.6 scooby may be cheap, but its still gonna lose value like no tomorrow so id get another car to potter about in for a year or 18 months, get a cav TD or something they are sort of comfy, while you save up your cash to get a "proper" imprezza that way you wont regret it (too much) and you wont have lost a bucket load of money on a car that will be difficult to sell and tbh you wont be happy with it because its not as fast as a 2.0turbo.

just my opinion anyway

but "real" ones are dropping in value every month so be patient. youve got a good while to won one yet lol

Alex
25-01-05, 01:57 PM
I agree with Camb.
also going from a nova to a scooby does not elevate your car status at all. Scoobys are chav cars these days, especially the lower spec ones.

Jack
25-01-05, 02:03 PM
...And people will expect it to be fast, then laugh when they find out its not.

Get a Celica GT-Four (ST165 or 205, the 185s are tanks lol) - doesn't have the interstellar insurance of a scooby either.

Matt EvoVI
25-01-05, 03:01 PM
I have had both the Subaru impreza and the evo I must say to contemplate even getting a none turbo impreza is not worth you while. :?

You will regret in the long run no putting out that extra few quid to get the turbo version, and if your looking for a decent one I would suggest one of the final classic face lift ones as they had worked all the problems out by then, and believe me there was a few. :o

Matt

James B
25-01-05, 03:08 PM
I would suggest one of the final classic face lift ones as they had worked all the problems out by then, and believe me there was a few. :o

Matt

just out of interest what kinda problems were there then? cheers for all the opinions guys

epo
25-01-05, 06:44 PM
imo
an impreza without a turbo is like a doughnut with no jam :lol:

Nick
25-01-05, 07:23 PM
A friend of mine has an T reg Impreza Turbo, and he's 18

it's through farm insurance tho.. but it's nice, still would rather have alot more cars than an impreza though, lancia Delta, Evo, Audi Quattro e.t.c

skud52
25-01-05, 07:32 PM
i think the old shape ones are nice cars, sound great, look great but as for handling, there shite, they understeer like fook tho.

a mate of mine has a 2.0 sport and there quick cars. obviously not as quick as a turbo or a nova xe but there very comfy car to drive, and have a lot of room which also comes in handy.

go for it mate, if thats what you want then what does it matter what everyone else thinks?

Mike.
25-01-05, 08:08 PM
for the price of a early scooby you could get a r32 skyline GTS-T the no frills version of the GT-R

Phil_G
25-01-05, 08:38 PM
for the price of a early scooby you could get a r32 skyline GTS-T the no frills version of the GT-R

not exactly an accurate description as the GTS has a 2.5 single turbo motor, where as the GTR is a 2.6 twin turbo. The GTS is also rwd as opposed to the GTRs 4wd

Phil

Jack
25-01-05, 11:52 PM
....afaik GTRs had a number of chassis differences too?

scott.parker
26-01-05, 12:27 AM
James stop being a bell,keep looking for a nice mint SR,or SRi and drop my old 1.6 in it,you know you want one so do it,then LET it latter on.. :wink: :lol:

scott

Matt EvoVI
26-01-05, 02:01 AM
I would suggest one of the final classic face lift ones as they had worked all the problems out by then, and believe me there was a few. :o

Matt

just out of interest what kinda problems were there then? cheers for all the opinions guys

A short list:
General build quality
Weakness in no.3 piston
Under steer problems
Head light misting

Most of the problems where either sorted out with the newer models or they were sorted out by after sales. :wink:

All I?m saying is keep your eyes open there are lots of bad ones out there. :?

Good hunting :)

Matt

Phil_G
26-01-05, 11:04 AM
....afaik GTRs had a number of chassis differences too?

yes, flared wings and also the front end is different too ( bumper and chassis leg difference) to accomodate an FMIC

Phil

Matt EvoVI
27-01-05, 01:47 AM
Feel free to PM me if you need any extra info

Matt

James B
27-01-05, 11:24 AM
cheers matt, will do if i get stuck

James