PDA

View Full Version : It's an official Dog...

Rexy
24-01-05, 05:15 PM
Took the nova to college today, and had a poke around checking the welding that had been done along with the floor pan etc.

Who ever has done the welding in the rear really ought to give up and maybe take up another carrer.

The sill's have gone threw, well they did once i poked them threw anyways, I'm going to have to get a set of new sills or maybe i could patch them and use GTE side skirts to hide the roughness, At the end of the day, it's being used as a road rally car, so appearence isnt much.

As far as things go, it looks like i've bought into a big project, I really should of checked the car over before commiting myself to buy it, In honesty ?270 was far to much for it with everything thats wrong with her.

But, hey ho... I've bought it, and apart from the above Im chuffed.

Time to put some work into her.

Fester
24-01-05, 05:49 PM
Arse, hopefully it can all be sorted with time and not money (within reason lol) !

Riggy
24-01-05, 05:52 PM
sorry to hear that matey but if ya need a hand with annythin give us a shout :D

Rexy
24-01-05, 06:16 PM
Hiya mate, not being funny but the nova you sold me is an absolute dog.

The welding in the boot is dodgy as sin, I've no idea who did that but its absolutely shite, the rear arch is a home made plate. The sill's well, they went threw today.
The N/s wheel bearing has gone, the rear dampers are extremely soft and have hardly any resistance in them at all. The N/s CV boot has gone, the N/s CV joint has gone, Both Bottom ball joints need replacing along with the bushes. The Door?s have completely rotten threw, there is no bottom to them, these may I add are the worst I?ve ever seen. The lower front Inner wing has also gone threw.

The dash isn?t attached properly the base bracket is missing. The steering column appears to be bent, Poss. its been stolen at some point in its life. Or it?s a bent steering shaft. Oh and to top it all off the exhaust system is blowing, its leaking oil - not found out where about as yet. I really have no idea how, that nova would of passed an MOT in that condition unless it was an extremely dodgy garage. Fair point A nova is a nova and they will rot, but this car is extremely dodgy. It also seems to have accumulated an extra 2000 miles from the last service not 300.

I'm not best pleased, as I?ve truly bought a dog (in my opinion) and it will cost me a fair whack to sort the thing out. You will prop be thinking, it was a ?300 car get over it. But i know for a Fact i could of found a nova in a lot better condition with less problems for miles less. I also feel your description over the telephone to be inaccurate and untrue.

The main reason I'm ever so slightly pissed off is due to the fact it was sold on your judgement, as it would of been too far a journey and a very much wasted one if I had come down to look at it. In an essence I feel the car is not worth ?270 which was paid.

I await your reply.

GT

I'll certainly need a new set of doors at some point, I'm not best pleased at the moment with it. Although, i guess there isnt much i can do.

Apart from get on with it, In its defence the engine seems fine lol.

SRimon
24-01-05, 06:18 PM
egay buy i presume?

I looked at 12 novas before buying this one I have now, and many people said oh yes its in excellent condition :roll: they never usually are, funnily enough the cheapest one i looked at was the best one :o 8)

epo
24-01-05, 06:26 PM
unlucky mate :(

Matt Nova
24-01-05, 06:29 PM
thats shit mate

go kick him :D

Rexy
24-01-05, 06:34 PM
Thing is, I bought this off a guy from PVG, Who's had a lot of nova's.

In his defence, I paid ?270 for it. To me thats a lot for a car which isnt in the expected condition.

I could of bought a 1.2 for less and in better condition.

Fester
24-01-05, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a total hassle. Having seen 6 Golf GTi's now cars for sale in my experience are rarely as described. What is it about cars that makes people go weird and bullshit all the time? Life would be easier if people were HONEST but I suppose some people get a thrill out of making a measly few hundred quid through bullshit techniques.

dan-hipgrave
24-01-05, 06:42 PM
egay buy i presume?

I looked at 12 novas before buying this one I have now, and many people said oh yes its in excellent condition :roll: they never usually are, funnily enough the cheapest one i looked at was the best one :o 8)

Yep i found exactly the same thing mate. I guess you cant trust anybody when it comes to buying cars..

Phil_G
24-01-05, 07:50 PM
If you think its a bad ticket gt, then get onto VOSA and report the garage that issued the ticket - it would mean that the car would need re testing at an independant garage. If you call to reprt them- have the MOT ready and a list of why you think the car should of failed.

Look at it this way- the next bent ticket they issue may be on a car with no brakes that mows down a relative of yours...

Phil

SRimon
24-01-05, 07:50 PM
egay buy i presume?

Yep i found exactly the same thing mate. I guess you cant trust anybody when it comes to buying cars..

Yea i looked at a few which were described as good condition, now in my eyes good means not a lot of rust, and is capable of getting through an MOT :lol: Some people obviously think is one stage away from a scrap yard :lol:

Unlucky though mate.....thing is with nova's tho, i'd never buy one blind unless it was silly cheap and i knew i could make money off it if i had to

Mike.
24-01-05, 07:51 PM
thats similar with my car, changed the wings the other day and the splash guard is rotten so thats more welding needed :(

Matt Nova
24-01-05, 10:03 PM
could it be just a blank ticket for the MOT

you can easily get hold of them stamped and you just fill out the details

Stuart
24-01-05, 10:27 PM
phil is right rexy wexy.

take the garage down!!!

Phil_G
25-01-05, 12:37 AM
could it be just a blank ticket for the MOT

you can easily get hold of them stamped and you just fill out the details

If its a genuine MOT ticket and the garage Pre stamps them then they deserve to be shot, have their licence to perform MOTs revoked and then be shot again.

either way rexy, get on the blower and report the garage that stamped it up as good

Phil

NovaloadedAgain
25-01-05, 09:48 AM
Yeah I agree, My last Nova had a brand new MOT when I bought it, But when I jacked it up to put some smart alessios on her she was completely rotten underneath! My Jack went through the jacking point & Floor, With close inspection the whole car underneath was completely rotten.

Shame though coz the bodywork was ok, Nicely kitted up & modified, Just started to scab on one rear arch, Goes to show, Bodywork maybe clean, But Nova's can rot & rust anywhere & everywhere.

Take that garage down!!!!!

NovaNickHead
25-01-05, 01:13 PM
mot is only good for the day its done!

they say this to cover their own backs coz in theory the stuff could have happened after the MOT. they would prob say it was rusty but not rotten when we mot'ed it but now its rotten.

gutted tho mate. i havent looked under mine yet...am i brave?? no im scared!

James B
25-01-05, 01:16 PM
on the flip side, the last garage I tested my motor at failed it on a load of stuff because they said they were looking at things that could fail before the next MOT, again this is surely wrong?

raza
25-01-05, 01:24 PM
When my car went for its mot .. it failed on shit loads of welding shocks .. Break pipes lights.. Loads a things they wanted ?400 for the work i took it to a little back street garage and the bloke could not belive it .. he said there is shag al wrong with the breaks and the welding wasnt as bad as they said he did the work for ?200 And took it back to the garage and he didnt even do the break pipes and they passed it .... Proves they are thick .. i dont no how fuckers like that can get away with it . it was a big garage as well i took it too and used by a hell of aot of people just proves how they rip people off aint it

Rexy
25-01-05, 04:03 PM
I'll give them a ring shortly, I'm at college with people whp mot/weld etc etc as there profession.

The main Failing point is the sill's at the moment... I went along with a screw driver and punched a good few holes into them. I wasnt being harsh with it or using the sharp end. I've patched up one side today, and will patch the other tomorrow.

Saying this, after looking the mot is only valid until July so I guess it would be down to ageing.

Lee H
25-01-05, 04:42 PM
The yellow SR I bought the other week to run about in is pretty rotten and that has 12 months MOT, one sill has been welded all the way along etc and boot floor has all been welded, back bumper held on at side with a self tapper but I still bought it. Travelled quite a way for it and wasn't coming back empty handed. Have just finished fitting a valver without any welding in the engine bay so just going to watch it rip itself to pieces now and then find a better shell for the next one :lol: