PDA

View Full Version : Cold air feed - is it worth it

autox
22-01-05, 09:58 PM
Ok heres the story.

I currently compete in autocross in a 1.4SR nova
New rules permit the use of a performance air filter. My thinking is that the position of the bolt on filter wont it just suck up hot air from the engine bay, etc.

Would it be worth putting some hind of heat wall between the engine and filter, and then putting a cold air feed pipe from the front of the car pointing at the filter.

Ok this may sound stupid but anything for extra horses. Also i was thinking about exhaust wrap this is meant to reduce temp by up to 75%.

Is it worth it?

Cheers

Michael - p.s check out my site for lots of picks!

dunova
22-01-05, 10:25 PM
Yes, yes and yes basically! Especially when competing, that engine of yours is going to get extremely hot and every little helps. I'm also going to be heat wrapping my exhaust manifold and i already have a cold air feed. A shield to go between the engine and filter is also going to keep the air intake abit cooler.

Have you thought about a functional air vent aswell?

autox
22-01-05, 10:35 PM
cheers for your reply. I was hoping you would say that :) yeah last season after a heat i would have to remove the bonnet to aid cooling for the next heat as it is max rpm all the time and the hot air that came off could cook your tea. so i was thinking if this hot air was going straight into the air filter it would be crap.

after i have re built the enging i will give it a bash,

an air vent would be much better than opening a window (not safe) but havnt got that far yet. any suggestions?

cheers

Michael

dunova
22-01-05, 10:41 PM
Just been looking at the website, it's very good! But i didn't see Novaload on your usefull links!!

With the position of the air filter on the 1.4sr i think a functional scooby vent would get the most cool air flowing in. The heat wrap on the manifold will help keep heat down in the angine bay quite abit and get the gases flowing out abit more.

How are you going to tune the engine? If you're on a tight budget, even a weber 32/34 dtml is a good mod. And if you want to take it further, i'd get an sri head, 290/300 duration cam, weber twin 40's, 4 branch manifold, the list is endless!!

autox
22-01-05, 10:51 PM
Cheers for comments about site, i thought novaload was on there, well it is now :)

Unfortunaltly i'm just class 1 so can do any mods to head, carb or anything other than air into carb and back box - keeps it nice and cheap though. if you can suggest any little thinggs i can do here or there to squeeze any little bit more out of it it would be very useful

thanks again

Michael

dunova
22-01-05, 11:01 PM
Would anyone notice though if you put an sri head on there? That would give you a fair few ponies, especially if you had it skimmed, ported, gas flowed etc. I can't think of any little tweeks tbh, i'v never tuned a 1.4sr engine. Your best bet is to get rid of all weight, but you've already done that lol.

You could take the dash out to lose more weight. Also, polycarb windows, fibreglass tailgate and bonnet would all help weight loss which equals quicker acceleration!

autox
22-01-05, 11:07 PM
it follows the rules of the MSA so therefore anyone can pay a bit of money to get my engine sealed and checked if it was going much faster than other novas, but dont really want to break the rules either. Yeah car is as light as i can get it and i have to leave dash in, also fiberglass, etc is not allowed. polycarb windows are though but can be quite expensive.

cheers

Michael