PDA

View Full Version : Removing front struts without removing wheels?!

dunova
22-01-05, 06:07 PM
To cut a long story short, i've lost my locking wheel nut key-has anyone ever changed the front struts with the wheels still on? Do you think it's possible? They're 17's so it may prove very difficult.

I've sent off for another key but it won't get here for at least 10 days and i've lowered the back 80mm and then realised i cant do the front (no locker key).

What do you guys think?

General Baxter
22-01-05, 06:08 PM
bumper and wings off to give more room? :?:

Aragorn
22-01-05, 06:14 PM
jack it up and have a look then

i'd recon cracking them with breaker bar/torque bar would be the hard bit as u mihg tstruggle to get it in but it should be doable from underneath

dunova
22-01-05, 06:14 PM
Possibly, but it's a lot of work :?

I think if i put the car on full lock it might give me enough room. I'm worried about the weight of the wheel putting a lot of stress on other suspension parts, but i guess i'll have to just put something underneith it.

What a bastard. Locking wheel nuts are a pain in the arse, it's the 2nd time i've lost that key :evil: And i've been really careful about storing it in the same place so i don't lose it-i really don't see how i've managed to lose it :roll:

Wish i had a big garage so i could work in the dry and warm!! God i moan a lot :lol:

dunova
22-01-05, 06:18 PM
i'd recon cracking them with breaker bar/torque bar would be the hard bit

What you mean breaking the seal on the 2 big bolts holding it on? Recently they've come on and off afew times so they won't be welded on :lol:

I'll have a good look tommorrow. If you think it's possible i'll give it a shot. Just didn't want to waste my time trying that's all. Cheers

Philsutton
22-01-05, 10:41 PM
well if you cant get at the lower shocker bolts then you can just remove the whole hub with the wheel still on, if it comes to it.

dunova
22-01-05, 10:48 PM
Yes that is a possibilty, i am hoping it won't come to that though! Don't really want it to get that involved, but one way or another the struts will be changed tommorrow-depending on the weather :roll:

Cheers for the help

Philsutton
22-01-05, 11:14 PM
personally i would get the locking nuts out as they will need to come out at some stage. All you will need is a small chisel and a hammer, you should be able to tap it round an out.

dunova
23-01-05, 11:24 AM
If they weren't venoms then i probably could do that, but the wheel nuts are set quite deep into the wheel so access to them is none existant!

I hate locking wheel nuts, it's tempting to not bother using them once i've got them off, i never park anywhere that's dodgy because i refuse to hand my car to the pikeys on a plate :evil:

I'm going to give it a go in 15mins, i'll let you know how it goes :wink:

Riggy
23-01-05, 11:37 AM
lol youve just gave yourself the biggest reason to take a chissel and a hammer to them

there venoms lol

but really do you need the shocks doin now or can it wait till you get the replacement key

dunova
23-01-05, 12:51 PM
Jobs a good'un!!! :D

That was a peice of pish, mainly due to the venoms having such big 'spokes'. Riggy, i really wanted to do the front because i had dropped the back 80mm and the front was standard gsi level and i didn't want to have to change the back to standard again.

So now it's sitting -80mm at the back and -60mm at the front. I've only put -60 on the front because with the venoms being 17" i thought -80 just wouldn't happen. I have got the front -80 for when the astra gsi alloys go on in March though.

Going to give it a good wash and polish now and then photo time! If i can find a camera :|

benji
23-01-05, 04:37 PM
i lost my locking wheel nut key the week before my last track day, the only wheel i didn't damage getting the nut's out was the one i hit a tree with when i crashed it a few months ago