PDA

View Full Version : XE Conversion...Couple of questions

Powelly5624
18-01-05, 03:03 PM
Hello People,

Is it essential you use a Gsi fuse box & loom for the conversion?

Reason being the shell i am using is a 1.2 carb and don't really want to spend cash for the sake of it!

Also what do people think of Monroe shocks?

Finally... What kind of welder is best for welding the shell up? Seen a electric mig welder going cheap and wondered if it would do the job.

Benn
19-01-05, 11:40 AM
u can use any fuse box and loom,

sure i used a mig welded when i did my engine bay...

Philsutton
19-01-05, 01:13 PM
a mig welder will do fine. Also it doesnt matter on the cars loom at all.

Powelly5624
20-01-05, 04:29 PM
Nice one lads,

I have purchased me welder and got an old wing to get practicing on!

So next job is to tidy the shell up abit.

I got supplied some shafts which are supposed to be good for the conversion but i am abit unsure. Is there any difference if i put them up next to the old 1L Nova items?

CP
20-01-05, 05:20 PM
Practise on the wing putting the power and reel speed higher and higher until it tends to burn through making holes and then back it off a little. The secret to good welding is getting the steel to be welded absolutely clean and that means all the seam sealer and paint out from in between the seams where possible. Use 6mm wire and practise keeping your hand steady and dont go too fast. Aim to make a molten puddle which melts into both parts you are welding - if you look closely you can see it doing it. Weld for just a few seconds at a time. If the weld sits on top of the metal like blobs of bird shit slow down and increase the power and reel speed so it melts in properly