PDA

View Full Version : Mk 1 Wheels

Cassie-Nova
17-01-05, 11:33 PM
The wheels are off for MOT, due to them slightly sticking out of the wheel arches - 15" TSW Venons w/ 195/50/15 Radial Tyres. Despite cutting away the rear arches inner lips they continued to rub.

I found out that they are ET 40! I know that the Vauxhall ET = 49

but originally didn't think they would be too bad, they are :(

ALSO - i think i already know the answer to this but wana check!
Would 14" ET35 wheels be ok? As i have the bare rims but dont wana waste ??? on tyres if they will also rub - thought they may not due to being smaller? Want to lower it eventually, so rubbing wheels are no good to me!

Thanks,

Jim

burgo
18-01-05, 12:33 AM
if you use the 14's with 10mm spacers they should be fine mate, 15mm spacers if the 10mm still rub

Cassie-Nova
18-01-05, 05:40 PM
But won't the spacers push them right under the wheel arch - so every bump i hit is gona catch the outer tyre?

Thats the problem i had with the 15s?

Jim

skud52
18-01-05, 05:51 PM
no because the spacer will correct the offset

Cassie-Nova
18-01-05, 08:53 PM
So if i put a 5mm spacer on my wheels for the 15" TSW Venons w/ ET40 - that will correct the offset and allow me to use them w/o rubbing?

Jim

Riggy
18-01-05, 08:59 PM
it should but make sure you wheel bolts are long enough ,

they can be very dangerous if not done

dunova
18-01-05, 09:10 PM
??? What's going on in this post ???

If your wheels are ET40 and they rub, putting 5mm spacers on will make them ET35 and they'll be even worse!!! The lower the ET, the further from the hub they'll be, hence ET49 being the correct nova offset which=no rubbing!!!

Cassie-Nova
18-01-05, 10:32 PM
So, the wheels I have - ET40 and ET35 are pretty much useless for my Vauxhall Nova then and Spacers will do no good?

Jim

dunova
18-01-05, 10:40 PM
Spacers sit between the alloy and the hub-therefore pushing the wheel further out, so they'll just make matters worse. ET35 will give you lots of trouble, but ET40 can be done. I've got 17" TSW venoms with ET40 and they don't rub atall, even with a car full of people (and mine's lowered 60mm). But my rear arch's have been taken RIGHT back and rust sealed.

If your's still rub with the arch's out, is it just on one side? Because that may indicate worn suspension bush/s or it's been in an accident at some point and put a very slight twist in something. Is it a mk1 aswell? Because mk2's have slightly more arch clearance.

Cassie-Nova
18-01-05, 11:35 PM
I have cut a far ammount of the inner lip off and it still rubs - i believe it may also be rubbing on the shocks aswell as there is hardly any clearance there either...

I can get about 2 passengers in w/ no rubbbing but have recently noticed rubbing when i take tight corners - leads me to think the tyres catching the shocks maybe?

It is the rear passenger side that rubs the worst. It's also a C-Reg Mk1....

Cheers guys,

Jim

dunova
18-01-05, 11:43 PM
I've got some astra gsi alloys aswell (ET49) and they rub on the shocks on tight corners, but they're very close in (obviously because they're ET49), so i cant see why yours would rub on the shock unless the wheels are really wide?

Maybe the rear wheel bearings have gone so they've got a lot of 'play' in them. Haven't had much experience with wheel bearings so not 100% on that. To beat the arch rubbing, the only way with those wheels is by taking more of the arch back, but make sure you seal them back up really well-or rust will kill them! If you hadn't cut them, you could have had them rolled.

Cassie-Nova
19-01-05, 10:16 PM
I think the tyres are either 7" or 7 1/2" wide =/

Can i still get the arches rolled even though i have cut them?

dunova
20-01-05, 08:33 PM
It really depends how much you've cut away tbh. Also, if you've already cut them, you should seal them from rust anyway so you may aswell just cut them back more. 7" is quite wide aswell for 15's, i think my 17's are that wide :o