PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head

BigStan
17-01-05, 04:43 PM
When changing the cylinder head is there anything that i should do whilst everything is off the car, im going to do the head gasket but is there anything else ?
Also can somebody please tell me the best head gasket i can buy (if there is one) for my GTE, and if there is what difference would it make ?

thanks again !!

nathan.
17-01-05, 06:02 PM
use genuine head gasket set.
while the heads off just give it a good clean, get rid off all the built up carbon.
maybe give the head a slight skim.

Aragorn
17-01-05, 06:34 PM
ive built a few engines (1.2i, 1.4, 1.6 16v) and ive always just used the gasket sets from my local motorfactors

lets be honest, only place thats gonna use genuine gaskets is the dealer, every other garage will use pattern parts so theyve gorra work to a reasonable standard or the big garages would get stacks of complaints and change suppliers

plus u want the gasket to be the weak link, if the gasket blows out instead of melting pistons then you'll be glad ;)

why exactly are u changing it? if its blown then the head will need skimmed

BigStan
18-01-05, 02:56 PM
ive bought a gasflowed and ported cylinder head so im changing them round and thought changing the head gasket would be a good idea !!

Do you know if the head bolts on the GTE are stretch bolts because if they are i will need to buy some more wont i ?

nova_kev
18-01-05, 04:01 PM
yes they are stretch bolts, so you will need to buy some more. whilst the head is off, i would use this as an opportunity to replace the cambelt and water pump if needs be....and of course the tensioner pulley 8)