PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 ENGINE NEEDS TO GO IN.........NOW AHHHHH!!!

alxlaw
17-01-05, 03:19 PM
ok iv had enough of it sitting at the back of the garage, i have a 1.0 engine in the car and a 1.6 and gearbox in garage........in all honisty im not compleetly incompetant and i could do this at a push i just need sum 1 out there to tell me what other parts im gonna need aswell and how hard this is really goona be need your help guys plz help!

Nick
17-01-05, 05:45 PM
fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel tank.

the engines Loom and ECU.

it's NOT a straight forwards swap, in essence, it's just the same as putting a valver in there, but without the welding, mounting and driveshaft problems.

The carbed tank and lines in your car run at something like 7 psi, the injection tank and lines run at 42psi (IIRC)

best bet is to buy some twin carbs and run it on them (at a power gain) if you can't be bothered doing the fueling situation.

alxlaw
17-01-05, 05:53 PM
so i wouldnt have to bother with all that fule tank ,lines and that shite if i baut a pair of webber 40's?....would that be the expencive part?

Nick
17-01-05, 06:03 PM
if your planing on sticking a 1.6 in and leaving it standard. Pay to get the fuel lines fuel tank e.t.c installed, and cutt the loom in.

if your planning on modding it sometime in the future (to a reasonable degree) 40's are better than the restrictive injection system. your looking at ?350 to have them literally bolted on, with all the odds and sods that come with them.

first you have to find some for sale tho.

alxlaw
17-01-05, 06:16 PM
god , i feel like selling it now, that'l be the second engine iv sold due to stupidity ....so ok say i do away with the ecu and all the bolox....and say i buy a pair of 40's what else will need "doing" i cud strech to a set off e-bay

Nick
17-01-05, 06:22 PM
you need

Twin carbs (jetted for a 1.6)
Alternator Bracket
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Inlet manifold
Alternator Belt
Electronic fuel pump (unless you use an aftermarket cam with the mech fuel pump lobe , but a cam is more expensive than the electronic pump)

i found a whole set for ?300'ish.

you might have similar luck, otherwise it alll mounts up

+ rolling road to set it up PROPERLY

Ste_Nova
17-01-05, 06:24 PM
fit the 1.6i

Nick
17-01-05, 06:27 PM
yes, i'd suggest that.

If you have no idea, and pay a garage to fit it, it will be expensive. trust me

if you can get someone (of here maybe ?) to help/do it it would be alot cheaper than t40's.

Aragorn
17-01-05, 06:29 PM
get a gte fuel tank and pump or a 1.2i tank and an mpi pump from a corsa/astra/vectra/cavalier/calibra

wirings a piece of piss - live from battery, live from ignition switch and a few other random sensors

if u think u can physically fit the engine then changing the fuel tank really should be an issue

and wiring is wiring

alxlaw
18-01-05, 03:29 PM
iv had a think and i think its time to start spending ma dolla i wont start until i next get paid, wich will be mid feb, but ill get down to ma local vaux breaker n see what i can get out of him, ill have to borrow an engine hoist of ma next door neighbur, i think i saw a smashed up gsi at the breakers last time i was there, wud alot of the stuff i need be in that, coz the engine woz out of a gte? wud it matter, ......theres a set of webber 40's for 20 quid on ebay ???? whats with that????, are they s**t? anyway ill probably be askin a hell of alot of dumb questions over the next cuple of weeks so sorry in advance! :roll: