PDA

View Full Version : rear tyres rubbing on inner arch

tom_beverley
16-01-05, 03:03 PM
The simple answer would be to change from 205's to 195's but the tyres ive got are still like new.

Im putting my LXi wheels on at the back for now. The camber of the rear passenger side wheel is off which causes the wheel to lean in a lot at the top, therefore rubbing on the suspension strut. The drivers side is fine but this rubs on the inner arch and the supsension strut, but not enough to seriously affect the tyre.

Im going to have to find out how the camber is wrong on the passenger rear wheel and find a way of fixing it as even with the LXi alloy on it still is quite close to the strut.

But when its fixed (hopefully) the camber will be right but the wheels will still rub.

How can i bring the wheel away from the inner arch??? Are spacers any good and where can i get some from?

Is there a way of modding the inner arch?

Any help much appreciated

Tom

Philsutton
16-01-05, 03:13 PM
have you curbed the rear wheel?? Sounds like youve bend the stub axle or axle. I used spacers on mine as mine caught on the inner arch, i also have changed the rear camber by using washers on the drum fixes to the axle.

Plus 205 are never going to work right on a nova

tom_beverley
16-01-05, 10:48 PM
thanks phil

it looks like the only option left is that the stub axle or axle has bent. I havent curbed any wheels for ages (ive been trying to take it easy after getting my license back) unless it has been like that for a while but ive only recently noticed. Or it could have developed a weak point.

Can i get away with just replacing the stub axle or is it a full axle replacement job?

The crap camber ive got on the front drivers wheel ive found is due either to a bent wishbone or suspension strut. Corrected that a bit when i got the tracking checked by wedging a metal bar where the bottom strut bolt go and bringing the top of the wheel out, then tightening the bolts up. Just hope it stays that way......

Got it down from -1.09 degress to -0.55. So its only about 0.30 out now.

Itl be right one day.......... :roll:

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:45 PM
hmmm. sounds like the ET (offset) on your alloys is wrong. it needs to be between 45 and 49, no less and no more. 205's will just squeeze in but you will need the arches rolled. spacers can be bought from any alloy wheel dealer, or try Ebay. they're usually around ?15-?25 a set.

Aragorn
17-01-05, 12:30 AM
tbh i'd just replace the full beam - the stub axle is a solid piece of steel, the beam would bend before it would

u want about -1degrees camber on the front wheels for optimal handling

but u shouldnt have -1degrees on std suspension (-60mm should achieve this tho) so i'm guessing summats bent on the front end too

get another rear beam and get 2x new bottom arms (they are only ?5 each) and see what happens

Will F
17-01-05, 09:51 AM
Mate, I tried emailing you, but it kept bouncing back.
I have a spare plus soem of the parts you need!

Philsutton
17-01-05, 11:50 AM
tbh i'd just replace the full beam - the stub axle is a solid piece of steel, the beam would bend before it would
thats not entirely true, you'd think that the axle would go first but ive seen some where the stub axle has just bent an not the whole beam but it just depends on the situation really i suppose

tom_beverley
17-01-05, 01:09 PM
I think im going to have to replace the rear beam, whilst im at it whats involved in a rear disc conversion and how much chew is it?

Ive only got gsi suspension on at the moment, the offset of my wheels is shit but spacers might work

Aragorn
17-01-05, 06:44 PM
i'd get some proper offset wheels, spacers and the like are just dodgy