PDA

View Full Version : Gasflowed and ported

BigStan
15-01-05, 03:42 PM
I am going to put a gasflowed and ported cylinder head on my GTE and was told that if i did it will put more pressure on the big end con-rod shells and that wouldnt be a good thing, because if they were to break it would f**k things up !!
Can anyone please tell me if this is true and if so, how likely is it that this will happen ?

Thankyou for your help.

david dixon
15-01-05, 05:17 PM
It'll put a slight more pressure on but nowt to worry about! that would be different if you were putting carbs on and a cam in!

MC
15-01-05, 06:26 PM
The extra stress comes from more torque but you will not gain mauch anyway, not enough to worry about and well within the design tolerances.

These engines only really suffer with rpm's above 8k when run normally aspirated.

Whoever told you that info is either an old codger or someone pretending they know more than they do.
MC

nathan.
15-01-05, 07:42 PM
do you have to fit arp bolts on gte with ported head, twin 40's and big cam?

dunova
15-01-05, 07:59 PM
I've been advised that arp rod bolts are only really necessary if you want to go to 7500rpm or higher, otherwise leave it standard. Nova bottom ends are quite strong tbh

MC
17-01-05, 02:52 PM
I'd agree.

MC

Aragorn
17-01-05, 06:40 PM
ive read (with regards to the 20xe but its the same design afaik) that the standard bolts arent even really suited to the standard 6800 limit especially if your engines got plenty of miles on it

imo running a std high mileage engine with old rod bolts is just asking for trouble if your planning to rev it hard a lot of the time

i'd think even a new set of bolts with chamfered big end caps would do the trick if u didnt wanna shell out the extra for the arps (i say this because the std bolts usually snap the head off and this would point to the edge of the big end cap cutting into the side of the bolt head)

dunova
17-01-05, 06:48 PM
i'd think even a new set of bolts with chamfered big end caps would do the trick

I've heard about these before, do you know where you can get them from?

Aragorn
17-01-05, 07:06 PM
the chamfered caps??

they are a requirement for ARP bolts

u simply get an engineering shop to make a 1mm chamfer in each of the holes (bolt head side)

dunova
17-01-05, 07:23 PM
Thanks mate, i'm not too sure what a chamfer is but i'll look into it!