View Full Version : 1.4 SR Turbo...

Alpine99
13-01-05, 03:41 PM
right i have a 1.4 SR. i have some spare cash to do some engine work, few of my friends have said i sould get a turbo for it :lol:

is this possible as i know jack about engines and turbos ect.

would like to no cost and which turbos are good and which are bad any

help would be great. thanks in advance :)

Alpine

Philsutton
13-01-05, 04:08 PM
it is possible but if your sticking with carbs instead of using the sri injection system you can get special twin 40s that work with turbos. I dont really know much about these but it might be worth looking into.

david dixon
13-01-05, 06:33 PM
regal do a manifold for nova engines to fit a turbo to them, a t3 and t28 i think!

Mike
13-01-05, 06:37 PM
hhm? now im quite interested in this topic, its in general too but i just fort nothing of it. now however, it seems i may have hatched a plan :twisted:

Barn
13-01-05, 06:44 PM
anyone got any idea how much doing something like this is likely to cost? just out of interest...

david dixon
13-01-05, 06:52 PM
That depends on which 14sr engine your using, the early engine would be better cos they dont have a management system as such! compaired with the single point engine. you need a manifold, turbo, over boost switch from either r5t or sabb turbo, you'll need to raise the fuel pressure and lower the engine compression if you going to run over 5 psi! you'll have to mod the down pipe, change the spark plugs, retard the timing and make a top hat or some kind of air box!

NickWalliams
14-01-05, 12:42 PM
If you are going for power and speed per pound the best option is always an XE engine. The cost of a 1.4 turbo isnt woth it cos you will have ppl who have spent far less money and time nailing you!

But if you wat somethin special and money and time is no problem then may aswell go for it.

8)

hendrix
14-01-05, 02:30 PM
couldnt you just take the carb and turbo off a r5gtt? im sure you could get an adapter plate for the carb.
david - i didnt think the 1.4Sr came as a single point because that would meant technically is was an SRi???

Philsutton
14-01-05, 03:14 PM
no that would be a 1.4i, the sri was multi point injection :lol:

Mike
14-01-05, 07:01 PM
or just do the easy option of dropping a R5 Turbo lump into a nova? a lot less hassle and a lot pishin cheaper! :roll:

if you can get a V8 into a nova than a R5 lump should be well easy, no ECU etc, no pishin about converting to a turbo, no making a top hat. airbox! everything u'll need will be there. :wink:

spooky85
14-01-05, 07:46 PM
can u fit calibra turbo engine in a nova??
if so can u get the 4 x 4 engine and run in on a nova?
if so does it stick to the road loads better

Ste L
14-01-05, 07:59 PM
no that would be a 1.4i, the sri was multi point injection :lol:
as phill said the sri was mpi...

here's a pic, look's similar to gte/gsi engines :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/novasri/nova/jan05/engine1.jpg

Mike
14-01-05, 09:25 PM

yes, erm yes (prolly easier with a van tho??) and i say yes to the last one too?

4x4 would requir a transmission tunnel, just nick it out the floor pan of a 4x4 or RWD motor (sierra) OR if ur handy with a MIG welder fabricate ur own.

u would have to shorten the driveshaft for the rear axle prolly about 2ft tho and the front/rear axle's would be alot wider than standard nova one's (id imagine neway) so u may have to shorten them too? :|

it IS possible tho, regal/EDS project nova for a start :twisted:

nova_kev
14-01-05, 09:42 PM

yes, erm yes (prolly easier with a van tho??) and i say yes to the last one too?

4x4 would requir a transmission tunnel, just nick it out the floor pan of a 4x4 or RWD motor (sierra) OR if ur handy with a MIG welder fabricate ur own.

u would have to shorten the driveshaft for the rear axle prolly about 2ft tho and the front/rear axle's would be alot wider than standard nova one's (id imagine neway) so u may have to shorten them too? :|

it IS possible tho, regal/EDS project nova for a start :twisted:

funny thing with 'regals' nova is that it wasnt even built by them!! It was built by a company in belguim!!! All regal did was put EDS software on it and tidied it up a bit! At traxx when it did the mad 0-60 time, we asked what power output it was pushin and the regal bloke couldnt tell us!! we spoke to this bloke who could speak barely any english!!! :lol:

cornish
14-01-05, 09:59 PM
I began building one but never finished it, it's still sitting in my garage!

I used a Turbo Technics conversion kit for an XR2. I ran the carb that came with the kit (Weber 28/32 or something similar) and bought an adaptor plate from Demon Tweeks to fit a 1.3SR inlet manifold. It ran a 1.4 SRi head with the inlet manifold matched to the head (catherdral ports on the manifold, circular ports on the head), and used a standard 1.4SR cam.

I bought the above mentioned exhaust manifold from Courtenay for about ?250, and ran a T25 turbo, also from the XR2 kit.

Basically i just need another Nova to plumb it into. I've welded an oil return into the sump aswell. It had a standard Cav Turbo intercooler and couple of other bits too but can't remember.

I did intend to run it in my 1.4SR but endend up scrapping the shell and bought a GSi about 18 months ago.

I will be at my garage on the weekend so will gets some pics of the engine if anyone's interested?

Nova_Newbie
14-01-05, 10:25 PM
I spoke to a guy who owns a vauxhall garage recently about a 2ltr red top for my nova and what bits to use driveshats etc, he mentioned a mate of his who had made some kind of adapter plate or complete inlet manifold for a metro turbo carb and other necessary bits to fit onto his 1.6 SV. He said that as far as he knew he didnt fit 2 gaskets or do anything to lower the compression, I think he said something about lowering the boost in order to stop it blowing, but said it was bloody quick.
:o I was interested but not technically clued up enough :roll: to know what the hell is he was saying, I've got to go back to have a rear screen fitted and was going to jot down some notes.
Some of you more technically minded might know if what he was saying is possible & update us not so technically minded as to how to go about it.
I'll post an update when I've seen him to fit the rear screen.

Mike
15-01-05, 08:11 PM
well i was up @ midlands perfomance centre today looking at there SUPERCHARGERS!

and im finking by using Regals turbo inlet manifold, taking it to Ashley exhaust's (down the road from me!) and get them to modify it to run a supercharged 1.4SR on T40's. :|

although the charger itself is ?800, MPC have got there own rolling road and workshop onsite. the only thing is, they've got a reputation for blowing up peoples engine's?? they blew 3 @ at last years PVD show on there mobile R/R :?

im imaging that a supercharger would be the easies opton besides an XE

Custom_Calibra_Nova
15-01-05, 09:16 PM
it wud be a lot cheaper to get twin 40s an put em on a 1600 carb. you'd be lookin bout 125BHP on an SV engine (MK2 cavie). or even twin 45s on an 1800 cavie carb engine.

Snowface
15-01-05, 10:46 PM
may aswell go 2 litre if your using a big block.

a 1400 supercharged would be interesting though. and different.

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 10:30 AM
hmmmmm. supercharged 1400? sounds good, and xpensive, lol.

dan16v
16-01-05, 11:30 AM
unless you just want to be different i would never waste my time fafing around with a small block, unless you maybe went 16 16v?
it will be a waste of money when you can do a xe conversion on a budget for around ?500.
most peps realise this after they have wasted time and money on smaller engines 8)

Snowface
16-01-05, 11:44 AM
yeah its fine if you want your front end dragging you into a hedge every corner.lol.

small blocks are sweet dude.

Barn
16-01-05, 02:06 PM
gunna tune my 1.3 and use it until my insurance is due for renewal (about august) and see what I can get insured on then.

dan16v
16-01-05, 04:40 PM
yeah its fine if you want your front end dragging you into a hedge every corner.lol.

small blocks are sweet dude.

not if you do the job right, my 16v never used to drag into hedges and that dyno'd at 170hp. make your own tca plates get some decent shocks and there shouldnt realy be a problem.

Philsutton
16-01-05, 06:20 PM
its the people that do the job badly that put people off, i can remember taking an engine out of a corsa that had a 2lt in. It was smashed to fuck, then we realised the guy had just put the 2lt in, used the 1.4 standard brakes an suspension. Its people like that cant go round corners

Mike
16-01-05, 06:25 PM
i know exactly how to turbo an SR. and where all the parts can be found, there off of a small block vauxhall engine!

but which one?? answers on a postcard please :lol:

Nova 1.5 TD turbo unit, inlet manifold etc and all necesassry fitting's! :roll: there of a vaux so should be able to fit, and then bolt T40's on to a custom manifold and add a D/valve.

basically a straight swap. would only run on low/standard psi, but on a PETROL engine not DIESEL you would gain more power becuase uve got more bhp to start with. 8) x1 set of lairy cams later and shud eat RS T's of the lights :lol: :lol:

mike

Philsutton
16-01-05, 06:27 PM
the 1.5 td in the nova isnt a vauxhall engine so im not sure it would be that easy to fit.

Mike
16-01-05, 06:31 PM
ahh, true ISUZU aint it.

ballock's to that tho, im still gonna go and get the parts and have a tinker nxt wkend, ISUZU or not, a want a turbo and for about hhhm, ?100/200 max i recon?? could be an interesting project for some summer fun 8)

Nick
16-01-05, 06:48 PM
LOL !

the isuzu bits are alot different, it's been discussed before., you'l have a nightmare trying to match up the Exhaust manifold and everything else.

if your going to TURBO,SUPERCHARGE e.t.c do it properly. unless it's just on a 2nd "project" car that's just used for fooling around.

a cheaper way to get some instant gains is using Nitrous, but even then, it's ALOT more expensive to do Properly/reliably than the "?500" NX,NOS kits in demon tweeks.

Barn
16-01-05, 07:16 PM
not if you do the job right, my 16v never used to drag into hedges and that dyno'd at 170hp. make your own tca plates get some decent shocks and there shouldnt realy be a problem.
was talking to Twag @ trax and he said his 2.0L was useless at going around corners compared to his small block engine that it replaced

burgo
16-01-05, 07:34 PM
the izuzu bits wont work mate, dont you think people have tried that before

dan16v
16-01-05, 08:37 PM
was talking to Twag @ trax and he said his 2.0L was useless at going around corners compared to his small block engine that it replaced

tbh m8 twag never used all the tricks he could have to make it handle. the only thing we realy done was to stitch weld it. he couldnt be arsed with the tca plates and never replaced the bushes etc etc

another thing i think with them is to ditch the anti roll bar imo make them bite into the corner
bet if you asked twag in all honesty he would say he could do things alot faster in the 16v, its just getting to know how to feed the power

and even if your car is shite in the bends as soon as you hit the tinyest of straights it will piss all over a 1.6 gte engine :lol:

Barn
16-01-05, 09:14 PM
i didnt know that mate sorry just going off what I remember him saying

with the 2.0L apart from insurance it would be the handling that would scare me off...but I dunno, lol

what about a 140bhp 1.6 compared to a 180bhp 2.0L Nova around a track?

p.s is your Turbo running yet mate?

dan16v
16-01-05, 09:36 PM
thats cool m8,
not sure bout them round a track lol could have a track day show down lol

car is getting there! will prolly be a post in the nxt 2 weeks showing it almost ready to run again :wink:

Snowface
16-01-05, 09:42 PM
To get a good Nos setup on Twin 40's (Wizards of Nos) is going to cost close to ?900 for a direc-port system.

Some might think its worthwhile, but remember it costs more money every time u refil bottle, though i can see the benifits.

Nick
16-01-05, 10:37 PM
nope, you can go reliably through the inlet.

i've posted this time and time again. but the chap who owns this "claimed" he was getting reliable and safe gains through the inlet manifold.

although, as you can see, the MI6 is pretty well tuned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0498.jpg

nova_kev
16-01-05, 11:35 PM
i would like a set of 40's, but might wait till weather picks up 8)

burgo
17-01-05, 12:26 AM

that isn't a mi16 im afraid

Snowface
17-01-05, 03:39 PM
nope, you can go reliably through the inlet.

i've posted this time and time again. but the chap who owns this "claimed" he was getting reliable and safe gains through the inlet manifold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0498.jpg

going through the inlet IS direct porting do do. :o

and that setup in the pic is a real bad one apparently. All of the 4 pipes going from the Nos pulsoids are meant to be exactly the same length so Nos arrives at each cylinder at exactly the same time.

nova_kev
17-01-05, 03:44 PM
I have heard that direct port noz is a better form than a having a single nitrous and fuel injector setup

is this right?

spooky85
17-01-05, 04:08 PM
turbos
1.0 charade
1.4 punto GT
1.3 toyota Starlet
and i thin swift does a 1.3 turbo aswell

starlet and the punto are very tunable as ive been reading up. anyone looked at these cars ?

nova_kev
17-01-05, 04:11 PM
you will have more problems with a punto GT than a screaming child without its bottle!!

there even more unreliable than a 5 GT Turbo :?

Nick
17-01-05, 05:42 PM
erm my dad had a punto GT (the 1.4 turbo) before he swapped it for a 1.2 sporting (to buy another car as-well) and it never ever had a problem.

very quick/nippy.

benji
17-01-05, 06:39 PM
nitrous kit can be made for around ?100. you just need to know where to get the bit's. and i don't mean stolen.

i've started getting part's for mine, all i've got so far is the bottle.

not bad for ?20.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bencurry/bottle.JPG

Snowface
17-01-05, 07:05 PM
nitrous kit can be made for around ?100. you just need to know where to get the bit's. and i don't mean stolen.

i've started getting part's for mine, all i've got so far is the bottle.

not bad for ?20.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bencurry/bottle.JPG

lol. cool. gotta start with something.
as for solenoids/pulsoids i suggest you take a look on the wizards of Nos forums because their pulsoid design is far better than any other out there apparently.

benji
17-01-05, 07:21 PM
?250 a pair aswell. i'm trying to get some alot cheaper than that but the company won't deal with me because i only want 1