PDA

View Full Version : how do u tinit windows

deankenny
13-01-05, 10:26 AM
i have a vauxhall nova 1.2 5 door, and i know nothing about cars whatsoever not even how to tint windows which windows do i tint? how much does it cost? and how do u do it?

Adam
13-01-05, 10:54 AM
You have to stick tint film on the inside of your window. It is pretty difficult if you ain't done it before, especially the rear window.
It is easier if you take the glass out.
Most tinting kits come with instructions, but it is diffcult.

cruisingscotland
13-01-05, 12:59 PM
i done mine myself,i took the windows out to do it,its alot easyer i think,just buy the tintins packs for abotu a tenner each i think i was,its tricky to do first time,ive still to do my back window since im stuck on it!

Jack
13-01-05, 01:44 PM
If you're worried about naffing it up, get a pro to do it. There are plenty in the yellow pages and suchlike I think.

If you're doing it yourself you'll need a Haynes Manual, Water, Soap stuff (e.g. fairy liqiud), spray gun (imagine the kind that garden centres sell for old ladies to spray pot pants with...), a window wiper (even a car windscreen wiper will do), scalpel, nail varnish and a drying cloth.

1. Remove the windows, see Haynes manual.

2. Clean the windows fully - use a bit of meths to get all the grease off.

3. If you're buying the tints in sheets, lay them over the windows and cut roughly to shape.

4. Spray the windows lightly with soapy water (best soap stuff to use is photographic wash solution in water, but fairy liquid will do). You'll only need a very small amount of soap liquid in the water, not so much it bubbles everywhere.

5. Hold up the tints and gently peel the backing off (this is where it helps to have an extra person). You can either:
a - peel all the backing off completely, and place the tint on the window
b - peel a little of the backing off, place the tint on the window, and peel the remainder off from under the tint, pushing it onto the window as you go. I'd say option (a) is easier, if you have two people.
Its also advisable to spray a little of the water onto the tint as well, just to losen up its glue. Use too much though and the tint won't stick.

6. You should be able to move the tint around on the window a little to position it precisely.

7. Using the window wiper, squeeze out any excess water from between the tint and window. You'll probably find it easier to spray some water on the back of the tint to help the wiper slide across it.

8. Use the cloth to dry off any water from around the edges of the tint, and press out any air bubbles from the edge. This can be quite an art to get right... lol

9. After drying the tint off with the cloth, use the scalpel to shape the tint to the window if you have any rought edges.

10. Go round the edges of the tint with the nail varnish to seal it.

11. Finally, once the varnish is dry, refit the windows as per the haynes manual.

Back window is harder due to it being slightly curved. You could try chopping the tint into strips, but I never got round to attempting this on my hatch.

Mike.
13-01-05, 07:59 PM
i've heard that the rear window on a nova has 2 curve in it thats why its so hard to tint the window

Adam
13-01-05, 11:59 PM
i've heard that the rear window on a nova has 2 curve in it thats why its so hard to tint the window
Yeah the back window is curved so its difficult to get the tint to sit flat.

cruisingscotland
14-01-05, 11:29 AM
its a nightmare to do the back window,ive yet to cut the tint into strips n attempt the back window all i know is that it dont work when u just lay the tint on n cut it to shape like u do with the other windows

Philsutton
14-01-05, 11:44 AM
you have to have a lot of patience otherwise things will get broken, ive never attempted as im not a patience person. I couldnt sit there for ages trying to line it all up, i'd just smash the glass

cruisingscotland
14-01-05, 12:51 PM
has anyone ever tryed this technique on tinting the back window? http://www.tintdude.com/heat-shrinking.html

epo
14-01-05, 06:16 PM
ive had 3 attempts at the back window and failed them all
i was gonna try the three stips but my good friend chris_16v is gonna have ago instead :D