PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 8v with 40's

mikey14sr
12-01-05, 08:17 PM
I may be buying a single carbed 1.4SR, and am thinking of sticking a pair of DCOE's on it. I have read the tuning guide on here and will defo be putting a 1.2 head on, and matching the ports, but valve sizes/cam will remain standard for reliability/cost of repair. I am also thinking of doing breather mods as per group A build manual. could anyone allready running this sort of spec give advice on jets and needles to use? would the specs for race tuned sport as printed in the Total Vauxhall guide be suitable?

benji
12-01-05, 08:21 PM
use the sri head. i run 30mm chokes. can't remember what jet's. i did write them down somwhere but i can't find it.
oh yeah, get a cam to complement the carbs, a piper 285 or kent ast2 will do the job

-Bruce-
12-01-05, 08:24 PM
What i would say is to check that the engine works well and that there are no problems with it before you start throwing money at it.

If your wanting to runn 40's you realy should consider getting a higher spec cam and a bigger valve head. As you will not see anywhere near the gains that you were looking for.

Bruce

Mike
12-01-05, 08:41 PM
erm? i will just be running standard/umolestered sport T40's

even tho Weber now call em DCOW carbs?? not DCOE.

i to may well invest in a new piper cam, the one in mine is about 3/4yr old now.

mike

Nick
12-01-05, 10:11 PM
take the head of, and lightly work it yourself.

just take off some of the sharp edges, clean all the carbon from it, and just give it a good clean.

pop it back on and it'l help. especially if your not getting any headwork done at all.

mikey14sr
12-01-05, 10:38 PM
cheers guys, I will be doing a little port work any-way, wish I'd saved the head from my old 1.2 sally, the work I put into that along with a standard 1.3 cam and weber 36TLP resulted in 60 brake! I might put a 260-265 cam in as I will still need some low down grunt for occasional towing(if I dont spend to much fighting with the rust monsters), the bottom end is gonna get seen to aswell, as I'm gonna baffle the sump and shim the pump which along with modding the breather system should keep the oil where it's supposed to be!

MC
12-01-05, 11:45 PM
Don't believe all you hear about camshaft duration.

I guarantee that you will have surplus low down torque with either a 275 or 285 cam when used with twin 40's. It will also tick over smoothly and be very easy to drive slowly.

Also you mentioned reliability. Your engine will be no less reliable for these mods if done properly.

As said earlier, source an SRI head if possible and if you are tempted to do anything to the head yourself, limit it to matching it to the inlet manifold.

MC

CP
13-01-05, 09:15 AM
Compression test the engine before you take it apart. Take the block to an engineer and get him to test the wear in the bores for you and advise you if its acceptable. If the bores are heavily scored or worn the engine will wear out much quicker after tuning and will start to burn oil and pressurise the crank case too much leading to loss of power and lots of blue smoke and oil being pumped out all over the place.

mikey14sr
13-01-05, 07:03 PM
basic overhaul checks are par for the course to an ex spanner monkey!
maybe should have mentioned at the start that i'd done a few dozen re-con jobs when i was a teenager.

Snowface
13-01-05, 11:36 PM
use the 1.4 cam and dizzy/coil to give you a couple more horses.

NovaloadedAgain
14-01-05, 01:36 PM
Alright mate

I practically used the Novaload guide when It came to the engine, Check my spec.

nova_kev
14-01-05, 02:53 PM
i have heard that dellerto's are meant to be more tunable! is this true??

MC
14-01-05, 03:02 PM
Slightly more progressive. Would normally choose weber as better availability.

mikey14sr
14-01-05, 04:48 PM
i have heard that dellerto's are meant to be more tunable! is this true??

apparently its a lot easier to change the size of the chokes?

Snowface
14-01-05, 11:20 PM
i have dellorto's and they are good. They are basically an updated version of Weber 40's.

i think Weber made their design in the 60's and dellorto improved on it in the 70's.

Better fuel atomisation and a few other bits including a better range (choice) of jets and chokes etc.

Custom_Calibra_Nova
15-01-05, 08:57 PM
i wouldnt use a 1200 head myself. i have a 1400SR. i've recently put a 1600 bottom end on from a cavie carb. i gained 65BHP after a bit of gentle tuning. a lot cheaper than the 1200/1400 conversion.

Mike
15-01-05, 09:02 PM
SRi head me. irmischer inlet, piper fast road cam blah blah.

1600 cav bottem end, hhm? how hard/simple to fit.

im thinking pish easy, but i could be wrong?

Custom_Calibra_Nova
15-01-05, 09:04 PM
the 1600 bottom end is a str8 swap mate, new gaskets an a skim an its just like a lego set, lol.

Mike
15-01-05, 10:01 PM
wots wiv the 1.6 bottom end neway, more revvy than standard SR or just generally better??

Custom_Calibra_Nova
15-01-05, 10:06 PM
lots more torque & pulling power. i gained over 50 BHP cheap. got a 1600 from a scrappie for ?60, stripped an re-con'd it with the 1400 head on. cost bout ?400 wiv GSI cam an new bits n pieces. my old GSI cam is on ebay if anyone interested.

Snowface
15-01-05, 10:43 PM
14sr head is one of the worst out of the box. if you get an sri head you'll be laughing.

Jim
15-01-05, 11:55 PM
lots more torque & pulling power. i gained over 50 BHP cheap. got a 1600 from a scrappie for ?60, stripped an re-con'd it with the 1400 head on. cost bout ?400 wiv GSI cam an new bits n pieces. my old GSI cam is on ebay if anyone interested.

"Earth to Custom_Calibra_Nova, come in Custom_Calibra_Nova"

50bhp by putting a 1.6 bottom end with a 1.4 head and gsi cam...oh dear.

Can we see the full spec of your engine please.

Jim

benji
16-01-05, 12:12 AM
"Earth to Custom_Calibra_Nova, come in Custom_Calibra_Nova"

50bhp by putting a 1.6 bottom end with a 1.4 head and gsi cam...oh dear.

Can we see the full spec of your engine please.

Jim

lol, i was thinking that. i've gained 36bhp from my 1400 by spending quite abit of cash on headwork, cam, t40's.
should of just got a 1.6 from a cavilier :roll:

nova_kev
16-01-05, 12:25 AM
sniff sniff, do people smell summat......

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 10:28 AM
yeah! jealousy!

nova_kev
16-01-05, 11:32 AM
PMSL :lol: :lol:

mikey14sr
16-01-05, 11:34 AM
right guys have just spent 6 hours going through all the simalar posts and have come up with this;

mild/daily driver spec
worked 1.2 or standard 1.4mpi head, new 1.4 cam kit, 1300 inlet with 32/34 weber and all ports matched

wild/weekender/track spec
worked on 1.4mpi head (B+), 285 degree cam and uprated valve springs, T40 manifold matched to mpi head with either brand of T40's

in either state of tune the bottom end should be overhauled and for the latter spec balanced/lightend where required and funds allow

do we all agree with this basic overview????

Snowface
16-01-05, 11:37 AM
a 1.6 bottom end and gsi cam added to a 1.4 head (eww) is going to give less power than a standard GSI i would have thought because of the restrictive head compared to a GSI one.

so i'm guessing its around 90bhp.

edit:
and custom calibra, why make claims like '149bhp 1.4 8v' when we know thats almost impossible to do without adding a turbo or Nos or spending ?????????'s.

mikey14sr
16-01-05, 11:58 AM
i wouldnt use a 1200 head myself. i have a 1400SR. i've recently put a 1600 bottom end on from a cavie carb. i gained 65BHP after a bit of gentle tuning. a lot cheaper than the 1200/1400 conversion.

1600 bottom means that it is now a 1600, not a 1400, and seen as engine numbers are allways on the block did you tell the DVLA and insurance?

Stuart
16-01-05, 02:31 PM
hmmm 149 bhp from a 1.6 bottom end and a 1.4 square port head. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

unless its forced induction OR nos. then no chance lol
as you'd have about 100 bhp with cam, 40's etc due to the restrictive nature of the head.

Mike
16-01-05, 06:29 PM
somebody's telling porkie's?? :lol:

Nick
16-01-05, 07:01 PM
lol

god, in 6 months time, i would eat my hat if i made anything close to 150bhp from my 1.6.

Mike
16-01-05, 07:04 PM
:lol:

its a feat trying to get over 100bhp from a 1.4 SR let alone 149bhp! super octane fuel prolly :lol: :lol:

krobinson
16-01-05, 08:19 PM
right guys have just spent 6 hours going through all the simalar posts and have come up with this;

mild/daily driver spec
worked 1.2 or standard 1.4mpi head, new 1.4 cam kit, 1300 inlet with 32/34 weber and all ports matched

wild/weekender/track spec
worked on 1.4mpi head (B+), 285 degree cam and uprated valve springs, T40 manifold matched to mpi head with either brand of T40's

in either state of tune the bottom end should be overhauled and for the latter spec balanced/lightend where required and funds allow

do we all agree with this basic overview????

Your Wild/Weekend spec would also be fine for daily driving too. My 1300 idles and drives smooth and perfect at low rev's, but you have the power when you want/need it!

Keith

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:05 PM
modified head, ported and gas flowed. larger valves and twin 45 dellortos. oh and by the way, much quicker than the GSI. The BHP was taken at the flywheel so at the wheels its probably about 130.

Stuart
16-01-05, 11:17 PM
hmm "only" 19 hp lost through the drive train too?!?!? WOW id recomend posting on www.migweb.co.uk as they will love to hear this ;)

benji
16-01-05, 11:20 PM
your in birmingham? a few of us will be at donington on the 27th of feb. if you want to come down i will happily race you with my 108bhp 1.4

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:28 PM
I might well come to Donny, just for the laff. If i do race, it'll be for log books so make sure you bring yours with you, so many peeps seem to forget they lost their pride an joy after they tried to race me, lol.

dunova
16-01-05, 11:31 PM
If i do race, it'll be for log books

OMFG. Basically, trying to scare people off racing you so you won't get your ass kicked. Grow up.

nova_kev
16-01-05, 11:33 PM
i have 1.2 SPI producing 198bhp and 300lb/ft of torque......honest :lol: :lol:

i dont race for log books...how about the deeds to mummy and daddys house PMSL :lol: :lol:

karl Rowntree
16-01-05, 11:35 PM
Mate i will race you for slips, ive got a 2006 .2 BHP Evolution 6. Its twin engined ( each engine has 1003.1 BHP) But its only at the flywheel :(

Lets say i will meet you down landor street in birmingham tomorrow night at 12 midnight?

I will bring me crew aswell. Though most of them have got school in the morning and will have to be home early.

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:37 PM
OMFG. Basically, trying to scare people off racing you so you won't get your ass kicked. Grow up.

no my friend, not trying to scare peeps. if peeps wanna race me then i'll gladly accept the challenge. i aint afraid of losin but no nova under a 2.0l turbo has beaten me on a 1/4 mile sprint. i've been beaten twice and i'm proud that my car is as fast as it is. i've spent loads of time & money on the car an i think its performance justifies it.

nova_kev
16-01-05, 11:43 PM

no my friend, not trying to scare peeps. if peeps wanna race me then i'll gladly accept the challenge. i aint afraid of losin but no nova under a 2.0l turbo has beaten me on a 1/4 mile sprint. i've been beaten twice and i'm proud that my car is as fast as it is. i've spent loads of time & money on the car an i think its performance justifies it.

mate, if your gonna talk b******s, at least come up with summat that is half believable :lol: :lol:

mate i will race you in my breathed on SR, and will still kick your ass round donnigton :twisted:

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:46 PM
ye, whatever mate

BigRuss
16-01-05, 11:47 PM
I was hoping to set a respectable time at Pod Myself this year, I've got a little 1.4 in My nova. Fancy a shoot out?

Saying that though Your time is over three seconds quicker than Dan's record holding 1.6 8v, perhaps I should give it a miss...

What do My fellow Novaloaders think?

nova_kev
16-01-05, 11:51 PM
go on fella, show him up..........i intend to at donny!!!

if i show him up, what the hell is benji gonna do :?: :!: :lol: :lol:

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:53 PM
What is it with people on here? What is wrong with someone having better spec than you? dont you like it? are you jealous? i was hoping for decent talk about novas, obviously that cant happen when everyone is so immature. my nova has proven its worth, its on paper, in black & white. i know what it can do, so why should i have to prove jack to you morons???

karl Rowntree
16-01-05, 11:54 PM
I think you can consider yourself banned from the site in the near future cutom_calibra_nova.

I suggest you do not send me threatening pm's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway guys ive got school in the morning so its off to bed for me!

P.S back on topic :wink:

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:55 PM
threatening??????? dont flatter yourself!

Dan
16-01-05, 11:55 PM
I'll have you know he is only 1.7 seconds faster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its his one of a kind monsterous calibra poo thing that is the real killer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dunova
16-01-05, 11:57 PM
obviously that cant happen when everyone is so immature

1) If you read your own posts you'd realise what a hipocrit you are.
2) You don't have to prove anything to anyone, but it's likely that with your spec, no-one will believe the bhp/torque that you're claiming.
3) People on here aren't jelous, just (mostly) down to earth, realistic and don't like bull$hitters.

nova_kev
i aint bothered about sum1 havin a better car than me, just find it funny when people claim to get stupid times and figures from there cars!!

post some pics of your 'proven times and power output and people will stop questioning you

Stuart
its just 149 bhp cant get a 1/4 time like that unless the car is made of paper

OR youve got about 300 bhp sot of nos taht your not telling us about lmao

no jealousy. its a lack of real facts lol

Custom_Calibra_Nova
16-01-05, 11:58 PM

2) You don't have to prove anything to anyone, but it's likely that with your spec, no-one will believe the bhp/torque that you're claiming.
3) People on here aren't jelous, just (mostly) down to earth, realistic and don't like bull$hitters.

yes ok, if you say so

dunova
17-01-05, 12:01 AM
dunova wrote:
Quote:

Custom_Calibra_Nova wrote:
yes ok, if you say so

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

karl Rowntree
17-01-05, 12:01 AM
I am sorry but i really have to meet you mate just for my own entertainment. When and Where? I honestly cant believe people like you exist :lol:

p.s Thanks you got my post count up to 500! :lol:

Anyway, back to the topic guys. I think our fun should be keep to pm's for now :wink:

benji
17-01-05, 07:49 AM
i'm not talking about 1/4mile you pratt. dont you know what donington is?
i wouldn't race for your car because that mean's when i beat you i would have to pay to scrap it. ?10 a car round here, not worth it

Riggy
17-01-05, 06:26 PM
pmsl @ benji :D

bring it up here mate they dont charge lol

Nick
17-01-05, 06:43 PM
lol bently's have a bonnet the length of a calibra.

and yes they are mostly RWD (if not all) and you'l probably find, that the majority of them, make CONSIDERABLY more that 300bhp as standard.

go to Mig web, and tell them about it. they'l beable to give you some advice on tuning e.t.c

Nick
17-01-05, 06:46 PM
modified head, ported and gas flowed. larger valves and twin 45 dellortos..

that just goes to show.

why would you put t45's on a 1.4 ? unless you reboring it by about 500cc LMAO

Nick
17-01-05, 06:58 PM
damn i'm on a role.

According to a website i have just found.

theONLY 3.0 BENTLY ENGINE LISTED , is from a lemans car made in 1919

http://www.bentleyboys.com/Weighing_cars_before_the_race.jpg

for all who don't know, customcalibranova's calibra has a 3.0 supercharged bently engine.

or is this really a picture of you and your mates before a lap at donnigton ?

Nick
17-01-05, 07:03 PM
the engine is a Bentley 3.0 Supercharged V8. I'll sort pics soon as i got my digi-cam workin.