PDA

View Full Version : door pods

geardy
12-01-05, 05:11 PM
cant get hold of any round the brighton area have been advised they are easy to make any idears anyone????

epo
12-01-05, 05:47 PM
dont quad conversions make them or make them your self using mdf

Marc
12-01-05, 06:17 PM
yeh quads do do them but they 100 or sumthing liek that. better off tryin 2 make ur own of if u got electric windows to put them in ur doors, more of a pain to do with manual windows

epo
12-01-05, 07:14 PM
mine came with spacer rings i mounted mine here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/epo_sri/speaker_pics_003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/epo_sri/speaker_pics_002.jpg

Mike
12-01-05, 07:46 PM
there's more ICE in epo's car than a walk in freezer! :lol:

epo
12-01-05, 08:10 PM
there's more ICE in epo's car than a walk in freezer! :lol:

fridge is going soon :lol:

Matt2107
13-01-05, 02:10 PM
I heard the Quad conversions ones crack anyways.

rednova
13-01-05, 06:34 PM
Heres how i made mine.

ok you'll need 5/6mm mdf sheet

a decent length 1m etc. of 5 mm dowel

a glue gun/glue

pair of your lasses tights!

fibreglass resin and hardener (halfords)

fibreglass filler

normal filler (optional)

staple gun

spray glue

trimming material of your choice (bass box carpet is ideal)

ok here we go.

1 - think about where the pod is going, make a paper template. the shape of this will have a large influence on wht the pod will look like!
2 - transfer this to the sheet of mdf, cut it out twice.
3 - you'll need 2 speaker rings - I used my speaker grille as a template.
4 - ok heres the akward bit - without glueing anything together just yet, hold the mdf back up as it would be on the door, then using your imagination hold the speaker ring with the other had and decide what angle you want the speaker at ( bearing in mind the speakers depth below the ring when fitted!)
5 - now you know where you want the speaker to sit cut some dowel to supprt the speaker ring in the position and glue the joins.
6 - now cut the tights so you can open them out flat ( no seedy remarks!)
7 - stretch the tights over each door pod and glue in place, this needs to be as tight as possible.
8. trial fit the speaker in the pod to make sure it clears every thing.
9 - mix the fibreglass resin up and brush over the tights, cover completely and let harden, you ideally want 3 coats.
10 now mix some fibre glass filler up, you need to apply this to the inside of the pod ideally you want it approx 4mm thick all over the inside where the tights are, its not too bad if it isnt that thick in places, just as much as you can
11 - you can either use normal filler on the outside and sand for a finish if you want to paint the pods, I did this anyway as it adds more strength
12 - using spray glue spray the outside of the pod, and apply the carpet staple it round the back.

all you need to do now is drill a small hole for wires and fix it to your door card.

(box carpet is good for begginers as the fnish of the filler doesnt have to be too good, you could always stick thin foam on first then trim in vinyl if you want to be adventurous)

hth

phil

[/img]

mad-driver
13-01-05, 11:29 PM
quad conversions used to do em but not any more coz im after some. they say they are bringin new n improved ones out though